Travel ukes are they worth it?

haolejohn

Reaction score
First I will say that I have owned two different travel uke and still own one tenor travel uke. I DO NOT notice a difference in the ease of travel in using one of the travel ukes. The amount of space that the travel takes up is not that big of a difference. The tenor still won't fit under the seats, either will the concerts.

Anyone else notice this? I now travel with a concert or soprano uke b/c they are easier to stow under the seats.

Yes, I have wondered what the point of a travel uke is, especially a tenor, ever since I bought a Kala tenor travel uke while on vacation in the Tampa area last year. I then ended up having it shipped to me in St. Louis because I was afraid to take it on the plane and have there be an issue. I haven't taken a uke on a plane (Ukes on a Plane! There's a parody in there somewhere...), but if I did, I would probably just take a Dolphin, or maybe a sopranino.

In terms of actual travelling - I don't think so, as when I travel I usually just bring one of my regular sopranos since I can't stand to be away from them for any length of time! But I do own a Kiwaya travel uke/thinline that is my "beater" uke - I don't stress out if I have to leave it in the trunk, I bring it to the beach, and I take it with me in either a gig bag or no bag at all rather than a bulky case.

I don't do much serious travel, ie planes, but my thin Bruko spends most of the summer in either my backpack or dry bag.

I use a cheapo fabric "case" (from an old dolphin) and try not to throw it around/bang into stuff.

It sounds silly, but I notice and appreciate the difference in the depth of the uke, since it means I have room in my backpack for the rest of my gear. I haven't yet figured out how to travel light with a regular sized soprano, (I have to leave something else home).

It's also worth noting that the thin Bruko doesn't lose anything in terms of tone or volume, at least compared to my other Bruko.

So, yes, I dig my travel-sized soprano.

Edited to add: I agree with those above re: "travel" tenors. That just seems weird to me. Travel sopranino, on the other hand, sounds sweet.

Last edited:
The RISA stick, in soprano, concert or tenor, is an ideal travel uke.

hjohn: "I DO NOT notice a difference in the ease of travel in using one of the travel ukes. The amount of space that the travel takes up is not that big of a difference. The tenor still won't fit under the seats, either will the concerts."

All of your wishes would come true with a RISA stick. You would notice a difference. Not only the carry, but you need not plug it in: you can play in airport waiting areas and not drive everyone up a wall. Want power to be heard across the terminal:: Fender Mini Amp, amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZXI9o-ZJMs
Or the one I have, Mini Twin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R0jvoSK0CI

Last edited:
I agree in the end, it really doesn't save you much in terms of space. This is subjective, but some claim the thin body is easier to play because the top soundboard is closer to your body.

The Kala travel mahogany ukes are fairly durable, partly due to their laminated backs. Not that I recommend this, but I once left mine in the car in Hawaii for hours without issues.

I have to disagree here, for some types of travel. I recently hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, and a Kala soprano travel uke fit nicely in my backpack, where any of my tenors (or my concert) would have required an additional case.

Tomorrow I leave on another trip and I think I can get the Kala into my carry-on hardsided bag, so chalk up another one. That way I don't have to check bags, since I always carry a computer bag for work.

And I like the sound of the Kala quite a bit - thanks, Susie!

I travel a lot. I am 100% satisfied with my Risa Soprano. It fits in my luggage, plays very well. I play it unplugged, it's very quiet in hotels and allows me to play anytime, day or night!

Sounds like the risa is the way to go. I carried a mainland red cedar on all my hiking trips. I wrapped a t-shirt around it and stuffed it in my pack. No problems. I'm talking 50 mile trips over the course of three-four days. I just don't see the space saving ability of these travel ukes. Maybe...like someone mentioned placing inside of a bag, but I keep mine available or playing so they stay in a gig bag.

I guess we really have to define Travel.
For going on a plane, I would think just about any uke in a padded gig bag would fit on the plane.
On the other hand, if you are walking and backpacking, I could see how a thinline travel model would help shave some space.

The uke that I always bring with me for traveling is the eleuke concert size......this with a pair of headphones and my Macbook and I'm even ready to record myself and compose new songs during my vacation or trip!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao

I think there's a value to travel ukes, especially if one doesn't want to have to play a soprano ukulele while traveling. I fly with a carry-on suitcase and a backpack, and I often take a Kala thinline travel uke with me. I can put the travel uke (with its gig bag) in my backpack, meaning that I show up at the airport with two pieces of luggage (suitcase and backpack), which i can carry on, rather than three pieces of luggage (suitcase, backpack and ukulele), one of which I'd have to check as luggage. Once I'm in the plane, I can put the travel uke in the overhead compartment with my suitcase, and place the backpack under the seat in front of me. I don't like to play smaller ukes (hence, a tenor thinline) and being able to put a tenor ukulele in my backpack so I can avoid having to check luggage saves me the time and aggravation of having to deal with checked bags.

The RISA stick, in soprano, concert or tenor, is an ideal travel uke.

All of your wishes would come true with a RISA stick. You would notice a difference. Not only the carry, but you need not plug it in: you can play in airport waiting areas and not drive everyone up a wall. Want power to be heard across the terminal:: Fender Mini Amp, amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZXI9o-ZJMs
Or the one I have, Mini Twin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R0jvoSK0CI

The RISA is a great idea. Thanks!

What I would consider a 'travel uke' is more like the Blackbird ukulele. Not because of its size, but because of it toughness. It's made out of carbon fiber, and should be able to take just about anything you can dish out, whether it be sitting on it, taking it out digging in the snow, or leaving it in a hot car.

What I would consider a 'travel uke' is more like the Blackbird ukulele. Not because of its size, but because of it toughness. It's made out of carbon fiber, and should be able to take just about anything you can dish out, whether it be sitting on it, taking it out digging in the snow, or leaving it in a hot car.

Aren't these still held together by glue? I have a Rainsong guitar, and I recall reading somewhere that it could still suffer if exposed to extreme heat as the glue could melt.

I think there's a value to travel ukes, especially if one doesn't want to have to play a soprano ukulele while traveling. I fly with a carry-on suitcase and a backpack, and I often take a Kala thinline travel uke with me. I can put the travel uke (with its gig bag) in my backpack, meaning that I show up at the airport with two pieces of luggage (suitcase and backpack), which i can carry on, rather than three pieces of luggage (suitcase, backpack and ukulele), one of which I'd have to check as luggage. Once I'm in the plane, I can put the travel uke in the overhead compartment with my suitcase, and place the backpack under the seat in front of me. I don't like to play smaller ukes (hence, a tenor thinline) and being able to put a tenor ukulele in my backpack so I can avoid having to check luggage saves me the time and aggravation of having to deal with checked bags.

This is a good idea. I don't mind traveling with the soprano b/c I normally travel for a short time and in cases like my summer traveling I have tenors at both homes. I usually place my laptop into my backpack and the uke gets carried on the side.

Aren't these still held together by glue? I have a Rainsong guitar, and I recall reading somewhere that it could still suffer if exposed to extreme heat as the glue could melt.

Hmm...you're right. And although they advertise with a pic of someone playing in the rain, their lifetime warranty excludes humidity. Can't get much more humid than when it raining, can it? Below is the warranty that includes that part. They don't seem all that confident in their product.

3 - This warranty shall not apply to products which shall have been subjected to misuse, negligence, alteration or accident, including exposure to extreme heat, cold, or high or low humidity. The manufacturer shall not be liable for any property damage or for any consequential damages (including loss of use or profits) nor shall the manufacturer’s liability on any claim for damages arising out of or connected with the manufacture, sale, delivery or use of any goods delivered under this order exceed the purchase price paid there for. In the event of unexpected loss by fire, theft, or damage of the Buyer’s product while in the manufacturer’s possession such loss shall not be a liability of the manufacturer in excess of the replacement with a new product of the same or most similar available style. Excess value (collector’s value) insurance must be carried by the Buyer at Buyer’s expense. The same is true with shipping insurance since many carriers place limits on their liability. The manufacturer assumes no liability in the event of loss or damage to the owner’s product while it is in transit to or from the manufacturer’s place of business and the owner shall be responsible for all risk of loss. Any action for breach of this warranty or any other action under this Agreement must be commenced within one (1) year after such cause of action arises;

I'll let you know sometime over the next couple of weeks, when UK customs have finished arseing around.

Watch this space...

I bought a Risa as a travel uke. I'm unlikely to travel by plane any more, but I am off on holiday across Europe by train this summer and trains, while better than planes still don't have much storage space. I bought a Marsall MS2 should I wish to plug it in. That fits nicely in a video camera bag to protect it. I also have a set of fold flat headphones - I prefer regular headphones to earbuds.

I took a Leolani thin line concert made of Okume wood to a music teacher. When she began to play it, she began, " I want one, I want one! It fits me far better than any ukulele I have ever played.!!" The Leolani comes with a very nicely made padded bag--hand hold, and shoulder strap which is removeable. She is not a thin woman in the chest area, so the travel ukuleles might really be a better fit for her, even if she just travels around the room day after day assisting elementary students. (yes, she bought it.)

Top Bottom