Ono "School Uke"

saltytri

Reaction score
I was enjoying the morning paper when this article caught my eye:

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130331/LIFE/303310305/-1/NEWSMAP

It must have been a very slow news day here in Southern Oregon because Eugene is about 180 miles away. Nevertheless, the article reminded me that a friend in Eugene had mentioned some time ago that these kids were looking for spare instruments because the number of kids exceeded the available ukes. So, the wheels in my little head started turning. Could I come up with a design that would be relatively easy to build while retaining the two non-negotiable requirements of good tone and playability? This is what I came up with: a more or less concert-sized body with a 16" scale. Of course, I tip my hat to the Fluke/Flea concept, Brad's Youthele and Pete Howlett's Marmite design.

8711522851_b84fecd010_c.jpg

No heat bending is necessary. The side assemblies come out of the mold with negligible spring back. The top and back are flat rather than radiused. These two simplifications go a long way toward making construction quicker. I had a nice perfectly vertical grain sapele board that yielded tops, backs and sides for four instruments. The end pieces are bubinga.

The bracing is pretty much standard for a concert.

8711523185_5148edca1b_c.jpg

One of the four was finished first as a proof-of-concept prototype. It got binding, but only because there was an unfortunate tearout while routing off the edge of the top and it couldn't be invisibly repaired. As we used to say in my boat building days, the difference between a good boat builder and a not-so-good boat builder is that one knows how to keep the mistakes from mattering.

8711521733_385648a848_c.jpg

Both sound and playability met the standard so I'm now working on the other three.

8711522307_eafb3c56ac_c.jpg

Here are a couple of links:

https://www.facebook.com/NEHSUkes

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nehsukes/north-eugene-high-school-ukulele-orchestras-first

I've got the CD and it's pretty perky. These kids are an enterprising lot!

They look great! I love the wood you used on the fret-board, actually all the wood choices are tops. This uke looks high-end to me.

Immaculate work, David. And another lovely rosette design, is that bubinga/rosewood strips?

They seem like an irrepressible bunch of kids, would love to support them and buy their CD. How exactly do you do that? I guess a FB message would be the place to start...

Yep, EIR and bubinga. Since this project is supposed to be governed by the KISS principle, the rosettes are a violation of the rules but I couldn't help myself. :)

The School Ukes are finished and ready to go. My friend in Eugene contributed new gig bags, which was a very nice gesture.

These may be a bit unconventional but they nestle nicely in the arms and have a pleasing and loud tone.

8735890516_341870ec14_c.jpg

8735889992_f8ecdac4bf_c.jpg

8735889512_443338b911_c.jpg

8735888958_46991e0c1c_c.jpg

Sweet! Can you do that in a baritone size? :cool:

That is a really nice thing to do, and they look great. Love the wahoo/Ono.:D

Man these are cool. Not only a great/generous project, but these look (and I'm sure sound) amazing. Anyone would be privileged to play one.
Well done!

Awesome! Lovely ukes, wonderful cause.

Those are indeed quite pretty. If they sound as good as they look, you have a winner.
Mark me down as interested if you run a baritone batch.

Thanks for the nice comments, folks! This has been a fun project, and what are hobbies for?

Strumsilly, it's bolted on just like I do all of them.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in a build it yourself kit. I'm not a great woodworker but this is one fine looking ukulele.

Here are some members of the North Eugene High School Ukulele Orchestra doing their thing with their "School Ukes."

8784563867_5c5f572c82_c.jpg

Top Bottom