Advice on Clearwater Electro

pollybell

Reaction score
I'm new to the world of Ukes so any advice would be appreciated.

I received a Clearwater Concert Electro (UCW7R/PU) for Xmas. The strings are extremely plasticy and the 2nd and 3rd string tuning keys slip when any tension is put on the strings when tuning. As a resulkt it is near impossible to tune these two strings.

Also there is hardly any volume from the transducer pickup when plugged into an amp. Do I need another piece of kit between the Uke and the amp?

Does the Uke just need proper strings and setting up or has Santa been unkind to me with this Uke?

Regards

Is this the one? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CLEARWATE...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Most folks here will know that as an Ohana. I've played the Ohana version and found it pretty nice. If the strings are white, they're most likely Aquila nylguts. I guess there's no way around strings feeling plastic unless you want real gut strings.

Regarding the tuning, it's probably just that the tuners need to be tightened a bit. Do you see those little screws on top of the tuners? Tighten those a little and see if that doesn't help hold the strings.

I don't know what pickup is used in the Clearwater uke, but generally passive pickups used in acoustic instruments have a higher resistance than those used in for example, a steel string electric guitar. That means that some amps ment specifically for electric guitars will sound crap with an acoustic electric instrument.

The solution is either a preamp, or an amp meant for acoustic electric instruments.

The little screw tightened up the tuner so I can now tune it without the strings slipping. Thanks for the advice.

Fluorocarbon strings such as Worths might feel better for you, but as I recall, the Aquilas really suited the roundbacked uke. It's certainly an option though. :)

I'm glad you're now able to tune it alright. :)

Top Bottom