Aquilla Reds.

SailingUke

Uke legend in my own mind
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just tried these on another ukulele.
The first was a tenor fluke, I really liked them, but the "A" string popped in a day or so. I tried another set on a Kamoa E-3T, great sound and looks killer on the red ukulele. Left the uke sitting and a few hours later found an "A" string across the room and the broken remnants on the uke. These are great strings, but they seem to be too fragile for me. Both times they broke at the nut, two different ukuleles so I doubt it is a ukulele issue.

I just tried Aquila Reds for the first time today and was expecting the same problem, based on other threads I had glanced at such as here and here. I also expected them to take forever to settle and to keep stretching, but - they settled in quite nicely over the course of an afternoon.

Apparently there is an old and a new formulation but no designation to show which ones you might have bought... the older formulation was prone to breaking. I have no idea which I got, but - so far, so good.

I have tried countless sets of red and the red low g and still the braking and snapping of string within a day or so has been a problem. When installed I loive the balance between a low red g and reg aquilas and also the all redf sets but they break far too easily....I trid them on severa; dozen ukes at the shop and none of the low g has lasted more than a week...hmmmmm maybe I strum too hard but most they break overnight in the case

That's crazy! Ive had a "red LowG" on for about 2 months now with no problems, and i play for an hour or more each day. I did use a pencil on the nut to use the graphite as a lubricant tho.. dont know if that helps anything just something i do when changing strings.

That's odd, I bought my aquila red tenor set when it first came out and it no strings broke at all! The time to settle in didn't take too long either...Maybe they were just a bad batch ?

Working on my review of them this week, but here is my low down.
Hardest string change ever since they are so darn stretchy
Weird texture and sound when fingerpicking
SUPER LOUD
when I tried the low g I had nothing but problems on another uke, none since I got them to stay in tune.

Last edited:
I don't know. Maybe it's my literal way of looking at the world on Mondays, but when a company says to not expect much durability from a particular set of their strings and, oh wait, "we don't warranty these things cause they break" or words to that effect, I kinda get the impression that staying in one piece is not the string's strong suit.

Although, you have to appreciate the engineering that went into assuring that none of the breakage occurs with any witnesses present.

Last edited:
I don't know. Maybe it's my literal way of looking at the world on Mondays, but when a company says to not expect much durability from a particular set of their strings and, oh wait, "we don't warranty these things cause they break" or words to that effect, I kida get th impression that staying in one piece in not the string's strong suit.

Although, you have to appreciate the engineering that went into assuring that none of the breakage occurs with any witnesses present.
they are a vessel for aliens to come to our planet. when they break they create a black hole since there is a sudden loss of 144Hz resonance of a string.
I am telling you man its ALIENS!!

I want to reiterate and make a clarification that my breakage was not a Low "G", it was a high "A".
Two different sets on two different ukuleles. Both strings broke while the ukulele was sitting.
I like the sound, but I expect to get more than a day out of a set of strings.

I bought a couple of Aquila Reds, the first one broke, so I filed and sanded the nut slot a bit more. I also decided to tune down to F Bb D G. It's been about three weeks and it hasn't broken yet. Could be the nut filing, or it could be the reduced tension, or just luck of the draw.

I like the sound, but I think it causes more abrasion on my nails, particularly my index finger. I might try some nail polish.

Here are a couple of video links if you want to see how it sounds on mine. The other three strings are also Aquilas.

Fine and Mellow
Azalea

The E String broke on my bari. while stringing it. Not a fan of the new thinner guage for a baritone Won't buy Aquila again and the search goes on for a good baritone linear set. Will be looking at possibly a classical string set.

I've been using the new formula reds since Elderly started shipping them out and have not had one issue with them at all. I've only been using the tenor and concert sets though. Are you all having this issue with just one size, or any? I was about to order a few sets of soprano reds as I am loving them, but now wondering if the Soprano strings are the problem strings, being a bit thinner.

Dan

As I posted in another thread, I got a Aquila red tenor set and the A broke at the bridge pin while putting it on. I was able to reposition and reuse the string and within a week it broke at the same place in the case overnight. I never have broken a white Aquila.

I installed the Aquila Reds on my Kala Cedar top. Have played the hell out of them, and no problems to date. (Not low-G).

I like the sound and feel - gets better by the week.

It has been a few months - I installed them before I bunged up my finger, so before February 5.

-Kurt​

I put Aquilla Reds on my Loprinzi Tenor with very good results.. Love the sound and feel

Top Bottom