First day at work: to uke or not to uke...

H

Hippie Dribble

My first day at work tomorrow as a Teacher's Aide in primary (elementary) school.

I'm nervous as all get out. My question is, is it bad form to turn up to my first 8.15am morning staff meeting where I get introduced to everyone with a uke sticking out of my backpack? Or should I go easy and wait til day two? :p

It might be best to wait until your second day :) , then you can talk to the teacher about it to figure out the best time to start playing for the children.

Good luck at your new job :) .

good thing you're not the chairman at IBM. this is a situation type of thing, in some places it would go over well and in some not well. it's best to scope the situation out first.
the uke is for week 2.

well done mate on the job :) i am totally stoked for ya, i think you will be fantastic at the job, me personally i would take a uke in with me, there is nothing wrong with playing in your lunch break (i do) it works wonders for my nerves and calms me :) ,but do what you think is best mate, i have a little sing along friday evenings now after the 5 pm bell goes.
Anyway wishing you all the best Jon, you will be awesome mate as your a top chap, all the best from me

Wait. Scope them out. Ask when you feel comfortable.

Congratulations Jon and welcome back to the working class! But leave your binky at home for a day or two.:) I agree with Emma. Speak with the teacher about when the best time to bring your uke in would be. Good Luck!

Thanks a lot for the well wishes and realistic advice gang, much appreciated.

I think I was contemplating taking a uke in because, for one I was hoping to do a little strumming in the lunch break and two, because I get so nervous, I thought a uke might be a good talking point, but yeah, I sure see the merits in holding back revealing to the world my uke habit. :p Best to get the first few days out of the way by focusing on the job at hand.

I do hope and expect there will be a place for uke in the classroom in some form down the track though. At this point I have a vision of getting a little group of kids going on it, we'll see whether it pans out. :)

hummm...I think I would wait for a few days......I'm saying that but I'm one of those lucky guy that work for myself since the day that I graduate from Univesity in dentistry so I just don't really know how it would be if I have to work for someone else......

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao ....new duet track.....

Hi Jon

All the best in the new job - you'll be an awesome asset to that school & I reckon you'll have the whole school rocking to uke sooner than later ....... to it's total benefit!!

I also think it good to hold off for a day or so before introducing your uke addiction, just so you don't tread on any toes - otherwise it could become a wedge, not an asset!!

One of my favourite sayings is: Make Haste, Slowly! :D

Enjoy!!

Roberta

Congratulations Jon on your new job. I agree, you will be a great teachers aide. I also agree to keep the uke at home and scope out the situation first.

Congrats Jon.

Let the folks you work with know that music is important to you, and that you would enjoy sharing and integrate teaching music where and when appropriate.

Congrats, Jon! I agree that you should sound it out with the teacher first. He or she will likely be excited to get some music in the classroom, but her or she will likely want to choose the time.

Woohoo great opportunity Jon
I would go with what Ralf says ah which Ukulele will you bring now that might be the question.

Congrats Jon on your new teaching job...I know you will do well with the kids...go easy on them..hee hee yes I'd give it a few days and see how the waters are before you bring your
uke to school...who knows, maybe the prinicpal plays the uke as well....Good luck Bro....

What grade will you be working with? :)

In the first few weeks you'll probably just be focusing on settling in and getting to know the children. But if you talk to the teacher about it, hopefully they will find some time for you. If the teacher lets you play the uke, if you're working with younger children, you could find out if they have some resources like tapping sticks, maraccas, etc that the children could use when you're playing, so you could involve them.

hummm...I think I would wait for a few days......I'm saying that but I'm one of those lucky guy that work for myself since the day that I graduate from Univesity in dentistry so I just don't really know how it would be if I have to work for someone else......

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao ....new duet track.....

This post reminded me that my orthodontist growing up played tenor banjo in a Dixieland band. Upon learning that I played guitar, he ran and got his banjo from his office and proceeded to serenade me with several tunes while my mouth was full of orthodontist junk. Talk about a captive audience! Funny thing is, I was probably about 13 at the time, and nothing could have been uncooler than a banjo. Now I'd be him, playing along while some poor teen rolled his eyes... :)

Congrats on the new job Jon, I'm sure you'll be super!

They'll be putty in your hands after hearing you play and you'll have a bunch of junior Eugene want to be's at your ankles. Maybe they will be the seeds of a new band - The Ukulele Orchestra of Tasmania.

Don't take it on the first day , save it . Good Luck with the new job. Those are some very lucky children that get to hear you play in person , I'll bet they will all want ukuleles very soon.

Good luck with the job, Jon! Can't quite see how you can be separated from your music even for a few days - it's what you are! However, the consensus of opinion is probably right. Have a feeling you'll be a tremendous asset to the school with, or without, your uke. Don't be nervous!

Your nerves will settle very quickly after you see the kids and hear how the teacher works.
Not knowing is what's making you antsy. You'll know much more after just one day.

I agree about taking the uke the second day.

Top Bottom