PDA

View Full Version : First day at work: to uke or not to uke...

Hippie Dribble
05-05-2013, 11:08 PM
My first day at work tomorrow as a Teacher's Aide in primary (elementary) school.

I'm nervous as all get out. My question is, is it bad form to turn up to my first 8.15am morning staff meeting where I get introduced to everyone with a uke sticking out of my backpack? Or should I go easy and wait til day two? :p

-Emma-
05-05-2013, 11:29 PM
It might be best to wait until your second day :) , then you can talk to the teacher about it to figure out the best time to start playing for the children.

Good luck at your new job :) .

chuck in ny
05-05-2013, 11:46 PM
good thing you're not the chairman at IBM. this is a situation type of thing, in some places it would go over well and in some not well. it's best to scope the situation out first.
the uke is for week 2.

ukuleledaveey
05-06-2013, 12:16 AM
well done mate on the job :) i am totally stoked for ya, i think you will be fantastic at the job, me personally i would take a uke in with me, there is nothing wrong with playing in your lunch break (i do) it works wonders for my nerves and calms me :) ,but do what you think is best mate, i have a little sing along friday evenings now after the 5 pm bell goes.
Anyway wishing you all the best Jon, you will be awesome mate as your a top chap, all the best from me

consitter
05-06-2013, 12:17 AM
Wait. Scope them out. Ask when you feel comfortable.

dkcrown
05-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Congratulations Jon and welcome back to the working class! But leave your binky at home for a day or two.:) I agree with Emma. Speak with the teacher about when the best time to bring your uke in would be. Good Luck!

Hippie Dribble
05-06-2013, 01:00 AM
Thanks a lot for the well wishes and realistic advice gang, much appreciated.

I think I was contemplating taking a uke in because, for one I was hoping to do a little strumming in the lunch break and two, because I get so nervous, I thought a uke might be a good talking point, but yeah, I sure see the merits in holding back revealing to the world my uke habit. :p Best to get the first few days out of the way by focusing on the job at hand.

I do hope and expect there will be a place for uke in the classroom in some form down the track though. At this point I have a vision of getting a little group of kids going on it, we'll see whether it pans out. :)

fumanshu
05-06-2013, 01:02 AM
hummm...I think I would wait for a few days......I'm saying that but I'm one of those lucky guy that work for myself since the day that I graduate from Univesity in dentistry so I just don't really know how it would be if I have to work for someone else......

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao ....new duet track.....

arpie
05-06-2013, 01:07 AM
Hi Jon

All the best in the new job - you'll be an awesome asset to that school & I reckon you'll have the whole school rocking to uke sooner than later ....... to it's total benefit!!

I also think it good to hold off for a day or so before introducing your uke addiction, just so you don't tread on any toes - otherwise it could become a wedge, not an asset!!

One of my favourite sayings is: Make Haste, Slowly! :D

Enjoy!!

Roberta

roxhum
05-06-2013, 03:10 AM
Congratulations Jon on your new job. I agree, you will be a great teachers aide. I also agree to keep the uke at home and scope out the situation first.

Doc_J
05-06-2013, 03:10 AM
Congrats Jon.

Let the folks you work with know that music is important to you, and that you would enjoy sharing and integrate teaching music where and when appropriate.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Congrats, Jon! I agree that you should sound it out with the teacher first. He or she will likely be excited to get some music in the classroom, but her or she will likely want to choose the time.

ukuloonie
05-06-2013, 03:18 AM
Woohoo great opportunity Jon
I would go with what Ralf says ah which Ukulele will you bring now that might be the question.

mm stan
05-06-2013, 03:24 AM
Congrats Jon on your new teaching job...I know you will do well with the kids...go easy on them..hee hee yes I'd give it a few days and see how the waters are before you bring your
uke to school...who knows, maybe the prinicpal plays the uke as well....Good luck Bro....

-Emma-
05-06-2013, 03:32 AM
What grade will you be working with? :)

In the first few weeks you'll probably just be focusing on settling in and getting to know the children. But if you talk to the teacher about it, hopefully they will find some time for you. If the teacher lets you play the uke, if you're working with younger children, you could find out if they have some resources like tapping sticks, maraccas, etc that the children could use when you're playing, so you could involve them.

RichM
05-06-2013, 03:34 AM
hummm...I think I would wait for a few days......I'm saying that but I'm one of those lucky guy that work for myself since the day that I graduate from Univesity in dentistry so I just don't really know how it would be if I have to work for someone else......

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao ....new duet track.....

This post reminded me that my orthodontist growing up played tenor banjo in a Dixieland band. Upon learning that I played guitar, he ran and got his banjo from his office and proceeded to serenade me with several tunes while my mouth was full of orthodontist junk. Talk about a captive audience! Funny thing is, I was probably about 13 at the time, and nothing could have been uncooler than a banjo. Now I'd be him, playing along while some poor teen rolled his eyes... :)

vanflynn
05-06-2013, 03:43 AM
Congrats on the new job Jon, I'm sure you'll be super!

They'll be putty in your hands after hearing you play and you'll have a bunch of junior Eugene want to be's at your ankles. Maybe they will be the seeds of a new band - The Ukulele Orchestra of Tasmania.

Pukulele Pete
05-06-2013, 03:44 AM
Don't take it on the first day , save it . Good Luck with the new job. Those are some very lucky children that get to hear you play in person , I'll bet they will all want ukuleles very soon.

LimousinLil
05-06-2013, 04:02 AM
Good luck with the job, Jon! Can't quite see how you can be separated from your music even for a few days - it's what you are! However, the consensus of opinion is probably right. Have a feeling you'll be a tremendous asset to the school with, or without, your uke. Don't be nervous!

GinnyT11
05-06-2013, 04:06 AM
Your nerves will settle very quickly after you see the kids and hear how the teacher works.
Not knowing is what's making you antsy. You'll know much more after just one day.

I agree about taking the uke the second day.

Newportlocal
05-06-2013, 04:19 AM
Just wait. There will be plenty of time for things like that after you get a feel of things there. Hopefully, there will be plenty of opportunities for that in the near future. Good luck and hope you enjoy the job.

rem50
05-06-2013, 04:30 AM
Ok, i agree about taking it with you in the school but if you have a car I would certainly take a beater and leave it there and grab some "me" time at lunch break. Might help blow off some nerves and help you to think. Now if you do not have a car, leave it at home. Just my 2 cents.

Bill Mc
05-06-2013, 04:46 AM
Jon, you will a great asset for the school and the children. But wait and get the lay of the land before bringing the uke. Does the school have a music program with a dedicated music teacher ? If so get to know that person and discuss your love of the ukulele with the music teacher and see where that may lead. Best of luck to you !

Hochapeafarm
05-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Congrats on your new job, Jon! You will be absolutely splendid in your new role! Well, guess I am going to be the odd one out as my advice goes against the main consensus here, but I vote for taking it with you in your backpack. I can't imagine there would be objections to strumming on your lunch break -- if anything, I feel it would be wonderful for exposing children (and adults!) to the joy and happiness of music -- especially uke music. :-) Plus, you mention how it helps to calm your nerves -- I feel that is really an important point -- you want to feel relaxed at your new job, and if having the uke helps you (playing when the time is appropriate, of course) -- I say, bring 'er along. Just my two cents. :)

Nickie
05-06-2013, 05:59 AM
Congrats on the new job!

OldePhart
05-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Congrats on the job Jon but I think I'd test the waters before testing the waters, so to speak. ;)

decaturcomp
05-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Congratulations to the school that was clever enough to hire you and the families who's kiddos are students there!
...and to you, too of course.

filipinouker
05-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Congratulations on your new job - what a really lucky school to have you on board :cool:
I was going to say - take your uke on your first day so that they know right from the very start what you're like and what they're getting :) But it seems like the general wisdom here is to observe for at least a day what your colleagues and students are like before diving in, heart and soul.

Wishing you all the best!

hobblecreek
05-06-2013, 08:06 AM
If you didn't take your uke with you to the interview, then waiting a few days is probably the best course of action until you've scoped out what is and what's not appropriate.

mds725
05-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Congratulations on the new job! I can't imagine anyone better suited for this sort of job than you, and I hope everything works out great. I agree with people that you should sort of suss out the culture of your new work environment before bringing your ukulele in. You may find an opportunity to propose bringing your uke to work as a solution to a problem in your workplace, as in, "Hmm, the kids get restless after lunch? What about a few minutes of ukulele playing. Maybe that'll settle them down." Then, instead of looking like someone who wants to impose on his workplace, you look like a hero for coming up with an out-of-the-box way of dealing with your charges. Good luck, and have fun!

fumanshu
05-06-2013, 08:28 AM
This post reminded me that my orthodontist growing up played tenor banjo in a Dixieland band. Upon learning that I played guitar, he ran and got his banjo from his office and proceeded to serenade me with several tunes while my mouth was full of orthodontist junk. Talk about a captive audience! Funny thing is, I was probably about 13 at the time, and nothing could have been uncooler than a banjo. Now I'd be him, playing along while some poor teen rolled his eyes... :)

That's nice!!! I also have my music studio in my dental office and when I know that a patient is playing and is willing to do somethin gwith me, I record him!!!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao

Hippie Dribble
05-06-2013, 10:55 AM
thanks again for the good advice and good wishes everyone. Just about to leave for work now. Aaaaarrrrrrrgghghghghghgh... :)

(uke is coming but being left in the car...he he)

UkeyDave
05-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Well I for one find it IMPOSSIBLE to even imagine what on earth you would look like without a Ukelele. ;-) Have a great day and well done on the new job. :) I personally think it would be great to get everyone talking on the first day. In a few years time imagine the conversations about that teacher who brought a Uke in on his very first day. You could go down in folklore. It will be great to get the little people hooked on playing the Ukulele. I'm sure you'll become a big hit very soon.

ukuLily Mars
05-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Congratulations on the new job! Those kids have no idea what's in store for them. The most fun class ever!

Hope your first day went well!

connor013
05-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Late to the party, but congrats on the new post, Jon.

It's coming up on lunch time now... Just sayin'.

rem50
05-06-2013, 04:22 PM
excellent decision!
thanks again for the good advice and good wishes everyone. Just about to leave for work now. Aaaaarrrrrrrgghghghghghgh... :)

(uke is coming but being left in the car...he he)

myrnaukelele
05-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Hope you had lots of fun on your first day on the job Jon! Did you get to uke on your lunch break?

itsme
05-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Jon, I hope your first day on the job went well. I imagine you as a perfect fit for the position. :)

It's funny... once you told us how you were a carer for the elderly, now you're a carer for the young. I think you have a lot to offer any demographic. A sparkling personality that can really connect with others.

Best wishes to you. :)

joekulele
05-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Congratulations on the new job! I only get my classroom aide for an hour and a half per day. What's your schedule like? Personally, I can't imagine a day at work without playing ukulele. I hope you can fit it into your routine.
-joe

Hippie Dribble
05-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Hope you had lots of fun on your first day on the job Jon! Did you get to uke on your lunch break?

no uke on day 1 but it went great thanks everyone.

just leaving for day 2. the uke is coming out of the car into the staffroom today.... :uhoh:

ukuloonie
05-07-2013, 11:55 AM
will this be a youtube sensation??
Like a Ukulele Flash mob?