Chord progression doesn't sound so good when you transpose it

ockapus

Reaction score
Hey ukers,
I found this rather cool sounding chord progression when I was noodling around: G7sus4, F, Bb, Am. I'm just playing it using the standard fingerings, on a reentrant tuned uke.

Anyway, I noticed that if I transpose it to another key, like D7sus4 C F Em or A7sus4 G C Bm, it doesn't sound anywhere near as good. Is this something to do with the inversions of the chords? I could possibly work it out with a lot of effort, but one of you guys is probably smart enough to give me the answer straight up.

Also.. I've noticed that when I try and sing the tune, I end up singing C A Bb A.. which is what is happening on the A string.. um... why? Shouldn't it be G F Bb A, i.e. the root notes?

thanks!

That's the problem of just having 4 strings. Unless you are barring up the neck the transposed chords typically have different notes that make up the chord.

By the way, welcome to UU, glad you joined us.

Anyway, I noticed that if I transpose it to another key, like D7sus4 C F Em or A7sus4 G C Bm, it doesn't sound anywhere near as good. Is this something to do with the inversions of the chords? I could possibly work it out with a lot of effort, but one of you guys is probably smart enough to give me the answer straight up.

As vanflynn noted, you've got it - it sounds different because you're using different inversions of the chords. This would be a good opportunity for you to figure out some different inversions of these chords and force yourself to play them so that this progression sounds the way you want it in another key.

Also.. I've noticed that when I try and sing the tune, I end up singing C A Bb A.. which is what is happening on the A string.. um... why? Shouldn't it be G F Bb A, i.e. the root notes?

Broad generalization alert, but we generally hear the highest note of a chord as the melody and the root is independent of that. Take a look at a basic pop song, and note what the root is doing. Usually will be lots of jumping around in fourths and fifths, not the smooth step-wise motion of most melodies. You're hearing exactly the melody I would expect you to hear on this progression.

Top Bottom