"Daily Practice Material for Ukulele"

Kayak Jim

Reaction score
So I saw a free document named as this thread's title on Curt Sheller's website where he promotes his lesson plans, other publications for purchase etc. Quite an information packed site actually. http://curtsheller.com/ukulele/

I thought the document might tide me over until Ukulele Exercises for Dummies is available here in the colonies, or might give me a hit of what he might offer if I subscribed to his lessons, or be the next step after Boot Camp. Unfortunately, from the very first page (of 68) it was so far over my intermediate head it might as well have been on another planet. More than a dozen named scales (Ionian, Lydian, Locrian ....), modes, melodic intervals, etc. with drill after drill in every key. the only thing I even recognized was the Circle of Fifths.

My question is do you proficient players actually practice stuff like this on a daily basis? I can see music majors perhaps but wow, I had no idea! Very humbling to say the least.

Jim B

I don't. But I wish I did. There is so much to learn and I want to know it all. I find by the time I practice the stuff for my lesson and then work on keeping older music current and maybe ditz a few minutes on stuff just for fun that I am out of time. I just have to remember that I am doing this for fun.

Daily? Nah. I do play scales when I'm learning them, but - once I've learned them, I focus more on incorporating that knowledge into improvisation rather than rote memorization. And I haven't really found the need to go beyond major, minor, and pentatonic scales - particularly the moveable ones, which makes memorization pretty automatic. I don't think I could play a Lydian scale if my life depended on it :)

First of all, "I don't" to answer your question.

My question to you is, 'What do you want to learn?'.

As a singer-strummer, I'm interested in finding songs i want to learn to sing and play,
then work on the chording that will make it happen.

I really enjoy what DoctorUke has offered us all in his 'song' section of ( doctoruke.com ).

to me, just working through some of his chording is a wonderful learning expeience.
Thanks Doctor Uke (Dr Rosokoff).

Anyway, that's me. If you're interested in creating your own music as an instrumentalist, perhaps
what Mr Sheller recommends is the way to go. :)

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom