Bb

Spud1$

Reaction score
When I practice Bb it sounds clearer if I put my index finger on three strings, C, E, and A. I know that it's only supposed to be E and A. It is so seldom that I get it right with only two strings but I almost always get it with three. It sounds the same to me but its hard to tell since I rarely get it to sound decent with two. Do I hear it correctly or is this bad habit? Thank you, I hope this is clear.

If you get a clear chord it is ok.
Barring behind a higher note has no impact on the chord.
Many of us barre all four strings with the index finger and play 3 fret G string and 2nd fret C string.
This becomes a very moveble chord, same shape at the 3rd fret is a "C" chord.

+1 on what SailingUke said. That is a very good chord shape to master. Learning barring opens up a lot of nice options for you

An ergonomic tip: for any barre chord (whether your barre two, three, or four strings) you can bring the elbow of your fretting arm closer to your body to get a better angle. Also, for crowded chords (like D and the diminished chords) you can bring that elbow away from your body for a better angle.

I barre my Bb chord because I can't get my fingers to do the "normal" fingering that everyone else does. Whenever someone tries to get me to do it, I just say "Can't do it. I'm not built that way"

The advantage, of course, is that this is one of the moveable chord shapes, and If you're playing "White Sandy Beach" you can easily lift one finger to switch from Bb to Bb minor!

An ergonomic tip: for any barre chord (whether your barre two, three, or four strings) you can bring the elbow of your fretting arm closer to your body to get a better angle. Also, for crowded chords (like D and the diminished chords) you can bring that elbow away from your body for a better angle.

Fantastic! This is the first time I've read this and it's a big help to me. Barring all strings in the 1st fret is also a big help for me with the Bb chord.

THANKS!!!!

Stan

Oh, the dreaded Bb. I have been playing for over 2 years consistantly, and have yet to be able to fret the e and a strings together, so I just omit the a string altogether. When you're playing along it takes a very keen ear to hear the difference. So I just fret the e,c and g strings and it sounds fine.

I barre my Bb chord because I can't get my fingers to do the "normal" fingering that everyone else does.

Wow, same here - and after playing for two years. I just automatically go barred. Glad I'm not the only one. :D

Top Bottom