help a bruddah out.

nikolo727

Reaction score
I just got a hansome sum of money around christmas and I am looking forward to buying a new uke.

so here are the specs that I would like to see in a uke.

1.concert size(preferably, though i can go soprano)
2.mellow and warm sound
3.gloss finish
4.ebony fretboard.

I have found these three ukes, though, and am wondering what you guys think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270321192574

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330296245254

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250347649333

I want to keep it(preferably) under 300, but the top link is a 330 dollar uke, but its a blowout sale one or whatever.

and of course i am buying from mgm. :)

so can anyone help me pick out the right uke?

Last edited:
OH man that first one... i lov ethe lok of that curly wood

Ask MGM if he has a Pono PCO anywhere lying around. Other than the fretboard type (it's rosewood, but some of your choices also had a rosewood fretboard), it ticks all your buttons.

Especially the mellow sound. Well, I'm guessing from the sound of the PTO, but that was mellow, and so the concert probably is as well. I have one on the way myself.

This youtube clip has one played very briefly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0xnNs56GsI

That first Pono is great deal if you wanna go that high...I just got a tenor that matches that one. I would buy it myself only I don't wanna be sleeping on the sofa for the next few months:D
I guess you need to decide if you want a Concert or Soprano size, and then what are you going to do with it? I mean do you need a pick-up? Are you wanting to take it camping, to the beach or whatever? If so, maybe better to go with a laminate than a solid wood construction..since the laminate is going to be more durable. I got a Concert Kala from MGM in July and I love it. Sounds good, stays in tune. The uke Sailquest suggested would be pretty nice.

ok thank you everyone for your input here. i think I have decided a few things. I want to go soprano. I dont know why, but lately ive just had a big liking to the old traditional sounding stuff from the 50's and the old hawaiian tunes. So soprano it is. and I think im going to go pono, cuz thats in my price range.

so between the two soprano ukes that I listed here, which one would be the best quality and the mellowest sounding, for the buck?

That Youtube video should show that the mahogs sound pretty mellow. Mike from Ukulele24.de gigged at the FUN Xmas party with a koa Pono tenor that was on the mellow side as well.

As for the sopranos, I couldn't tell ya. :(

That Youtube video should show that the mahogs sound pretty mellow. Mike from Ukulele24.de gigged at the FUN Xmas party with a koa Pono tenor that was on the mellow side as well.

As for the sopranos, I couldn't tell ya. :(

dont worry about it bro. but i just want to say thank you for taking the time to look things up and help me out! happy holidays.

I will also use this post just to say that on tuesday, yes the day before the new years eve, i am getting my wisdom teeth out. :/.

so i will hopefully be looking forward to a new ukulele while im stuffing my face with pudding and icecream for the next entire week.

Looks like the major differences here involve:
1) PRICE
2) Wood
3) Electronics

The electronics are easy, those resonators (I think that's wat they're called) can be attached to a purely acoustic instrument and BAM!, electric uke!

I think mahogany has beauty and melodic sweetness (I'm loving my solid mahogany Lanikai, except for the crappy strings, but that's for another post). Personally, I don't understand the obsession with koa, not worth the extra cash. To be perfectly honest, I think the most wonderful acoustic instruments, guitars included, are cedar-tops. Solid cedar-top with solid mahogany body, that's my future tenor. But without the undersaddle thingies and the built-in garage-door openers.

Anyhoot, based on your top 2 draft-picks, I'd pick the solid mahogany, but then again, both of them are righteous instruments. You'll be happy with either!

This is going to seem ironic coming from someone with two custom koa ukes, and wouldn't change a thing about the sound of either, but I agree. The sun doesn't rise and set by koa. There's cool things going on with other tone woods.

Looks like the major differences here involve:
1) PRICE
2) Wood
3) Electronics

The electronics are easy, those resonators (I think that's wat they're called) can be attached to a purely acoustic instrument and BAM!, electric uke!

I think mahogany has beauty and melodic sweetness (I'm loving my solid mahogany Lanikai, except for the crappy strings, but that's for another post). Personally, I don't understand the obsession with koa, not worth the extra cash. To be perfectly honest, I think the most wonderful acoustic instruments, guitars included, are cedar-tops. Solid cedar-top with solid mahogany body, that's my future tenor. But without the undersaddle thingies and the built-in garage-door openers.

Anyhoot, based on your top 2 draft-picks, I'd pick the solid mahogany, but then again, both of them are righteous instruments. You'll be happy with either!

Well i know i dont really need an electronic pickup(thats what theyre called) and i want to try a mahogany so thats what im gonna shoot for. thanks guys!

I still hold that you need an acoustic amp though. I mean they're available for cheap now, but they're generally bigger than the DA-5s and Microcubes that are popular with ukesters. I can't believe I ever settled for that sound now.

It's a Lanakai with a spruce top, not a solid mahogany Pono. - oh right right, 2:30. My bad.

Per se - always funny because it means ass in Finnish. I say that because it makes my husband giggle like a school girl when someone says it in a serious tone of voice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom