What makes KoAlohas so Loud?

Paul December

Reaction score
I've owned 2 KoAlohas, and have read other posts confirming that they really project. Presently I have a concert that is louder than every uke I've ever played, regardless of size. What's even better, they seem to do it without detracting from their nice tone.

Just curious, what part of their design accounts for this? Why wouldn't other manufacturers do the same :confused:

My guess wouldnt be the design as much as it is the materials. I toured their factory while on Oahu a couple of years ago and the construction and design didn't seem all that remarkable when comparing them to let's say a Uke kit. But the craftsmanship and quality materials they use really make a big difference.

I also think that different solid woods sound differently....

I've owned 2 KoAlohas, and have read other posts confirming that they really project. Presently I have a concert that is louder than every uke I've ever played, regardless of size. What's even better, they seem to do it without detracting from their nice tone.

Just curious, what part of their design accounts for this? Why wouldn't other manufacturers do the same :confused:

They have no longitudinal braces, just the unibrace.
Thin tops.
No kerfing.

Maybe its the combination of all that plus ?

I agree with Doc. I think that their unibrace design has a lot to do with the increased volume.

Yeah..it is the bracing or lack of bracing..the whole uke vibrates like crazy..

With fewer braces, I wonder how their structural failure rate compares to other brands :confused:

As an engineer that bothered me when I first saw a KoAloha.

But their "better than the weather" guarantee and with so many folks playing them, no worry.

With fewer braces, I wonder how their structural failure rate compares to other brands :confused:

You guys need to watch that video where Brian (I think) is standing on one of their ukes showing off the strength of the unibrace. I would look it up but YT is blocked.

You guys need to watch that video where Brian (I think) is standing on one of their ukes showing off the strength of the unibrace. I would look it up but YT is blocked.

I have seen the video it is Paul Okami standing on the uke..he is standing on the brace..you can stand on a glass vase too,,haha

but the volume comes because there are less braces on the uke than a normal uke,,i thought we were talking about volume not strength or warranties..

When we took the tour of their factory in March, one of the guys, I think it was Bruce stood on it and even though I knew it was secure, it made me shudder. (We'd just been in the glue and clamp area) My biggest problem is getting the uke to sound quieter. Even strumming softer (not too good at that) my long neck soprano booms. (I've got "Jake's" type strings on it now and it is better but you can still hear me and I'm not that good)

:confused: I thought the brace was to keep the top from pulling-off (the opposite direction of standing on it).

:confused: I thought the brace was to keep the top from pulling-off (the opposite direction of standing on it).

I have no idea. I just know that I believe that brace they use and their thin tops are what make their ukes so loud. I have no problem playing my concert with guitars. If I wanted to hog the show, I'd break out my sceptre and drown out all the other players:)

I always thought they used magic dust in the varnish....

I agree with Doc and the others that say its the unibrace and thin top. I am sure it also has something to do with good wood selection for the top. I once was in a jam with HaoleJohn, DarkWater, and Deg. They were all playing Koalohas (tenors and maybe a scepter). I could hear neither my own singing nor my poor little Ohana SK-35 (and it was pretty loud). The whole experience made me buy a tenor lol.

I got a factory tour and one of the biggest guys there stood on a soprano uke and it was not over the bracing. He stood right on the sound hole!

I got a factory tour and one of the biggest guys there stood on a soprano uke and it was not over the bracing. He stood right on the sound hole!

haha you expect me to believe that..come on now! for me that is hard to believe,,i saw Paul stand on the back of the uke

just my 2 cents

Paul at least 130 lbs? I wouldn't do that with any uke!!

Hey Daniel

this thread was about why a KoAloha has a large voice..but it tuned into standing on a uke wow..haha
but nowadays i guess what else is new..thats why you don't see me on the UU like before..Lol

and you and me are one of the worst to derail a thread..haha

just to stay on the subject..the uni brace is strong and saves time on the builds..and KoAlohas are great sounding loud ukes..i think due to less bracing..

another 2 cents

Last edited:
Hey Daniel

this thread was about why a KoAloha has a large voice..but it tuned into standing on a uke wow..haha
but nowadays i guess what else is new..thats why you don't see me on the UU like before..Lol

and you and me are one of the worst to derail a thread..haha

just to stay on the subject..the uni brace is strong and saves time on the builds..and KoAlohas are great sounding loud ukes..i think due to less bracing..

another 2 cents

Oopps...if you didn't copy my quote, I would delete but now I can't!! LOL

Paul, I tend to agree about less brace but I have a lattice braced uke, which people would consider over braced but it is significantly louder than any other uke I've played.

It's probably a combination of less brace and thinness of top. You will probably get better answers in Luthier Lounge than Uke Talk as they have experience in builds vs. here, where you have lots of people guessing.

Top Bottom