Nut Width Question on Tenors.

Ukejungle

Reaction score
As a Newbie (2 months playing) I've come to notice what looks like different neck widths at the nut on Ukes seen here and youtube videos. I bought a Gretsch 9121 Tenor which has a 1 & 3/8 or 35 mm width. Is this the typical standard width for a Tenor? I seem to recall post about the Pono's nut widths being wider (maybe 1 1/2 inches) some of "K"s look wider from videos and the Uke that Aldrine plays seems closer to 1 1/2 inches. I ask because - I do wear medium gloves but would like to find a wider neck Uke to check out. Most Ukes at stores here seem to be 1 3/8.

Is there a trend for a wider nut these days?

Thanks,
Trey

From what I gather, the 1 3/8 nut width seems to be more standard. That is what's on my Pono. I do have an Islander Tenor and the nut width is 1 1/2. For me I prefer the smaller nut width just because of my hand size and for barring. Preference I suppose. I love both of my ukes though...
Regards,
Kevin

I have a Pono tenor and a KPK tenor. I don't know what the neck widths are, but the KPK is definitely wider than the Pono. I really don't have a preference for either neck, though. The wider neck doesn't really make it any easier to play in my opinion.

I just got an Islander tenor from another UU member and was glad to find it had a 1.5 inch nut.
I can just throw my fingers at the fretboard and get the note that I want. :)

Kanile'a and Cover Bridge are 1.5. KoAloha Tenor is about 1.4. Concerts are mostly 1 3/8. I am now looking for a nice Tenor with a 1 3/8.

I find the 1 3/8 the most comfortable.

I think having a radiused or flat fingerboard is more important the width. I do have one uke with a 1 15/16 radiused fingerboard, and it doesn't feel substantially different than the ones I have with radiused 1 3/8 boards. However, they all feel a lot different than any uke I've ever played with a flat fingerboard.

Doug

The question isn't "what is standard?"
The question is "what do you like?"

Yes Dave is Right....What is your preference and what is comfortable for you...if you are new and have shorter fingers or a beginner with with no dexterity and strength in your fingers....the 1 3/8" will be more comfortable...then you would think if you like a thin or thick neck....thin plays smoother for most.....a fast neck is the way to go... :) good luck...

Last edited:
Good points, I have been playing for a few year now and just recently came to the conclusion that I prefer the narrower nut. I really liked the wider nut until I started playing more barre chords. I am still not sure if I like a thicker on narrower neck.

Top Bottom