bborzell
05-07-2013, 07:54 AM
Toe tapping...

No rushing now...

Stay in line...

Let's not all start talking at once...

Uncle Rod Higuchi
05-07-2013, 07:56 AM
Yeah, I haven't received mine yet either.

let's toe-tap in unison :)

keep uke'in',

ukemunga
05-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Toe tapping...

No rushing now...

Stay in line...

Let's not all start talking at once...

Great idea for a new thread!

angrygnome
05-07-2013, 08:25 AM
*raises his hand*

I have mine. ;-)

Bob-in-Alberta
05-07-2013, 08:27 AM
There always has to be at least one showoff.

ukeeku
05-07-2013, 08:42 AM
thank you for making a thread so I can watch y'all with them. still confused how #19 shipped today. GRRRRR
Please put your number in so we can track were they are in sending them out, Please

KentSantaBarbara
05-07-2013, 09:28 AM
#33 shipped today

ukemunga
05-07-2013, 09:54 AM
thank you for making a thread so I can watch y'all with them. still confused how #19 shipped today. GRRRRR
Please put your number in so we can track were they are in sending them out, Please

Tim, I think they realized that they didn't sound too good with the original strings and put the brakes on last week after 14 or so went out. Now it appears that they've regrouped and are full steam ahead. I'll bet there's a good sound sample video on their FB page soon.

kvehe
05-07-2013, 10:02 AM
I am/was order #15.
I received a "your uke has shipped" email on 05/01.
On 05/02, the USPS website said that it would be delivered on 05/04.
Imagine my surprise on 05/03 when the USPS website said it was out for delivery.
Sure enough, there it was in my mailbox when I got home that afternoon.

bnolsen
05-07-2013, 10:35 AM
As lame as it is I did create an Outdoor Ukulele group, if anyone wants to join that is. Denver is closer than St Louis and I think a USPS hub.. I wonder if I'll get mine tomorrow? It'll probably hit the sorting facility tomorrow morning and likely not hit local delivery until the day after if things go smoothly.

bborzell
05-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Seems a bit odd to have a bought and paid for uke sitting around at the manufacturers while waiting for a string shipment. I'd rather get mine #191 without strings than. I'll probably swap the strings they put on it anyhoo.

bnolsen
05-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Seems a bit odd to have a bought and paid for uke sitting around at the manufacturers while waiting for a string shipment. I'd rather get mine #191 without strings than. I'll probably swap the strings they put on it anyhoo.

If they string it up that at least means they tested the tuners. Agreed on the strings. The monos would have been a curiousity that lived for maybe a single soundfile/video. I have no clue about the bionylons. This video is somewhat encouraging though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGzQJmIL6JE

bborzell
05-08-2013, 12:25 PM
If they string it up that at least means they tested the tuners. Agreed on the strings. The monos would have been a curiousity that lived for maybe a single soundfile/video. I have no clue about the bionylons. This video is somewhat encouraging though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGzQJmIL6JE

Oh no. Does this mean that the Aquila Bionylon strings are being shipped from Russia?

gitarzan
05-08-2013, 05:13 PM
#33 shipped today

Im no.. 35. Did you get an emailed notice? Are they piecing these together and shipping them one at a time?

gitarzan
05-08-2013, 05:21 PM
I just emailed them for status. :mad:

bnolsen
05-08-2013, 05:30 PM
i have #20 and my status is stuck at Electronic Shipping Info Received just as it was 2 days ago. Tracking data just updated. Interesting it didn't actually arrive at the bend oregon post office until 1030pm Bend local. Estimated arrival for me is tomorrow. Sometime early this morning it left Portland.

ksiegel
05-10-2013, 11:41 AM
I actually have an Outdoor Uke (Order #34, with Grover tuners) in my hands.

New Strings, I'm not good with friction tuners... doesn't sound bad, for not yet holding tune...

-Kurt

bborzell
05-10-2013, 11:47 AM
I thought these babies would have some sort of spiffy headstock graphic.

UkueBass23
05-11-2013, 02:29 AM
This thread is useless without pics. Please people. Think of the children.

kvehe
05-11-2013, 02:49 AM
Kurt - Do the Grover tuners work well?

ksiegel
05-11-2013, 04:06 AM
Kurt - Do the Grover tuners work well?
That's the thing- I'm very inexperienced with friction tuners. I have original friction tuners on my 1920s Stella banjo uke, and on my 1950s harmony, but have PegHed or geared tuners on everything else.

The tuner on the G string, while I've tightened the screw as much as I dare, still slips a touch. The others seem to slip back and forth from sharp to flat while tuning, never really catching on the "sweet spot". I can't say that the tuners are at fault - I'm just not comfortable with them yet. (One friend who actually gets paid for performing has removed the friction tuners from all of his ukes, and replaced them with planetary or geared tuners. He said that as much as he likes them, he just doesn't have the time to screw around with friction tuners while on stage, when all the other musicians are tuned up and waiting for him.)

What I have done is tuned it as well as I can, and popped it back in the gig back overnight. I'll take it out this afternoon, see what it does, try to get at least an audio sample, and then change the strings and start over.

-Kurt

kvehe
05-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Thanks, Kurt, that is very helpful. I have been having the most awful time with the standard tuners, but I keep thinking that they'll improve with continued use, and maybe they will. I've been a bit caught up in other things this past week, and haven't spent as much time as I'd like with my ODU.

bnolsen
05-11-2013, 07:06 AM
I just a little while ago put the grover 2bs i had on. They work infinitely better than the poly tuners, infinitely. And they fit pretty well and don't need that much tension to make them hold (was worried about damaging the plastic).

UkeKiddinMe
05-11-2013, 08:23 AM
I would have zero patience for friction tuners.
Life is too short for friction tuners.

KentSantaBarbara
05-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Let me know what strings you are trying, liking, and dis-liking. The strings the Outdoor Ukulele came with were terrible. I immediate switched to the Aquila Reds low G, and not bad sound, i really liked the look of red strings on the black uke, but this is a musical instrument and the look is second to the sound. And now i have Aquila Nylgut low G on, not bad, but could be better. I'm giving them a day or so to see how they work out. And then maybe the Martin M600, keeping the Aquila nylgut wound low G. Let me (us) know what strings you try and how they sound.

The thing that i really don't like about the Outdoor Ukulele is the rectangular neck. The squared off edge is uncomfortable and awkward on your fretting hand/thumb when you are playing the first 5 frets.

This uke will be a present for my niece that lives in the desert. With humidity levels at 0-20% a majority of the time, she just can't keep her uke's from drying out. The Outdoor Uke should work for her.

bnolsen
05-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Let me know what strings you are trying, liking, and dis-liking.

The bionylons are just horrid. I'm wanting martin m600s to put on this, thanks for the aquila update, I suspected they wouldn't be best for this ukulele. Today I was 0 for three at local stores so guitar center tomorrow. I actually like the neck shape (not necessarily the hollow though) and the grover 2bs are okay upgrades, I think under 6.50USD shipped from ebay if looking. Same tuners on flea/flukes.

Guitar2ukulele
05-11-2013, 05:08 PM
And then maybe the Martin M600, keeping the Aquila nylgut wound low G. Let me (us) know what strings you try and how they sound.

Still debating on whether the $100 is worth it as other laminates at cheaper prices sound much better from what I can tell. But I would not use wound strings on the ODU as the nut and saddle is formed with the other pieces. You may find that after prolonged use, either the nut slot, saddle or frets will be weared down to cause buzzing. I don't know the process that is involved in making the moulds and whether changes to it would cost alot, but I think the nut and saddle should be made as separate pieces to allow for more control on the owners part.

dav_9
05-11-2013, 05:10 PM
New 22 second video posted about half an hour ago.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152774849620231&set=vb.161809663970819&type=2&theater

ukemunga
05-12-2013, 02:58 AM
I put a set of Martin m600s on mine and they sound pretty good. I'm beginning to wonder if Worth Browns may be the final answer though.

My thought is that it still sounds somewhat plinky and jangly with "bright" strings. I've got Worth Browns on my Mainland red cedar pineapple and like them for their mellowness on that. I've got another set and may just give it a try today.

Just have to decide if it's worth killing my fingers again with those tuners!

ukemunga
05-12-2013, 04:05 AM
Oh yeah... Worth Browns. That is all.

JonThysell
05-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Photo: https://twitter.com/jonthysell/status/333357422162894849

I have #65 in my hands, some initial thoughts:

Square neck is hard on the fretting hand
It makes a strange clicking noise when I strum, maybe it's my fingernail, but none of my other ukes do it
Weight is well balanced, won't fall over like some top heavy sopranos
Weak job with the initial stringing- they wrapped up an extra three inches of string around the pegs, so yeah, it didn't hold it's tune for crap until I restrung it
I got the grover's and the aquila upgrade- they sound fine, but not amazing
The strings aren't IN the nut as much as they are just ON the nut- but the action is already so low I don't think i could make the slots deeper without getting lots of buzz
the sound has a bit of an echo on it
hard to see the fret markers cause everything is black- though I kind of like the brand-less design
the edges look ugly- i know from the video they posted how they glue everything together, but I never noticed how much of a seam there is- there's like an 1/8" x 1/8" groove around the edge of the body

I'm going camping next weekend, then hopefully by then it'll have "settled" and I can see how it performs in the great outdoors.

UkeKiddinMe
05-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Photo: https://twitter.com/jonthysell/status/333357422162894849

I have #65 in my hands, some initial thoughts: ...

the edges look ugly- i know from the video they posted how they glue everything together, but I never noticed how much of a seam there is- there's like an 1/8" x 1/8" groove around the edge of the body

Any chance you could take a pic of that?

bnolsen
05-12-2013, 11:07 AM

you have top inspect the instrument to notice it. From the front the seams dont' show, just on the sides. I don't think that's an issue.

OldePhart
05-12-2013, 11:44 AM

There are some pics that show it pretty clearly in the other thread. When I first saw it I thought maybe the uke wasn't assembled correctly. I can't imagine what possessed them to leave such wide gaps all the way down the sides of the neck - maybe the theory was that a wide gap would be less likely to show minor imperfections in assembly than would a thin line where if some parts were narrower than others it would be obvious? (That's purely a guess, on my part.) In any case, I don't find it very attractive although I suppose if one was primarily looking for eye candy one wouldn't be ordering a black plastic ukulele. :)

John

bborzell
05-12-2013, 12:06 PM
There are some pics that show it pretty clearly in the other thread. When I first saw it I thought maybe the uke wasn't assembled correctly. I can't imagine what possessed them to leave such wide gaps all the way down the sides of the neck - maybe the theory was that a wide gap would be less likely to show minor imperfections in assembly than would a thin line where if some parts were narrower than others it would be obvious? (That's purely a guess, on my part.) In any case, I don't find it very attractive although I suppose if one was primarily looking for eye candy one wouldn't be ordering a black plastic ukulele. :)

John

Break out the Bondo.

ppowli01
05-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Hi ukemunga, Where do you recommend buying worth brown strings online? I don't care for the bionylons that come default, and ebay doesn't seem to have any browns a reasonable price. Also, did you get a low g or re-entrant tuning? Thanks!

Jim Hanks
05-12-2013, 12:44 PM
http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/worth-strings.html

ppowli01
05-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Awesome! much appreciated.

ukemunga
05-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Hi ukemunga, Where do you recommend buying worth brown strings online? I don't care for the bionylons that come default, and ebay doesn't seem to have any browns a reasonable price. Also, did you get a low g or re-entrant tuning? Thanks!

Also, Elderly Instruments. I like the medium tension set: http://elderly.com/accessories/names/worth-bm-soprano-/-concert-uke-set--WSBM.htm

These are long enough that there are 2 sets worth in the package.

JonThysell
05-12-2013, 03:04 PM

Sorry for the low quality...

Chris Tarman
05-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Also, Elderly Instruments. I like the medium tension set: http://elderly.com/accessories/names/worth-bm-soprano-/-concert-uke-set--WSBM.htm

These are long enough that there are 2 sets worth in the package.

I get mine from Elderly too.

Outdoor Jennifer
05-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Scott handed the task of answering emails over to me. I discovered that he's answered hundreds of emails that when he sent them, they went into our unchecked mailbox instead of to the person who asked the question. It took a lot of work but I've answered every single one of those plus many more.

I am now checking the orders@ and sales@ emails throughout the day (and even into the night). I appreciate everyone's patience throughout this process.

In hindsight, we probably should have received all the parts, tested and built all the ukes before allowing anyone to order. If we did that, we would be ready to ship the first uke about 2 weeks from now.

ksiegel
05-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Well, I've had the Outdoor Ukulele for a few days now, and brought it to the Electric City Uke Club tonight, and I've noticed that I still have issues with the friction tuners nd the strings stretching.

It isn't the instrument, but a combination of new strings and my problems with learning how to use the friction tuners.

I've found that getting the instrument into that "sweet spot", where the strings are in tune relative to both the tuner, and each other is pretty hard to achieve. But once I'm there, they stay that way for several songs. Then I need to retune.

The uke holds its own in a room of instruments - not so loud as the Flea across the room was, but more than enough, both with finger picking and strumming, although aggressive finger picking knocks it out of tune faster.

I'm going to try and do a sound sample in the AM.

-Kurt

bnolsen
05-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Another video sample on youtube (not mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cTg_De1FVzE

bnolsen
05-13-2013, 05:26 PM
I've found that getting the instrument into that "sweet spot", where the strings are in tune relative to both the tuner, and each other is pretty hard to achieve. But once I'm there, they stay that way for several songs. Then I need to retune.

Are the friction tuners breaking in atall, getting easier to tune in fine increments?

ukeeku
05-14-2013, 01:48 AM
Short story.
Got my #19
Had the poly pegs
tried to tune it for an hour
Thankfully I am a part hoarder
Had a set of GROVER 2B TUNERS
Put them on
Now I can tune it.
The end

Also, why does the uke not actually say OUTDOOR UKULELE on it anywhere?
I think I am going to take the sticker they give you and put it on the inside, in the soundhole

kvehe
05-14-2013, 02:54 AM
Well, I'm certainly glad to hear that my initial assessment of the ODU *as delivered* matches all other assessments. I think mine has a sticker on the inside, but I'm going to have to look again when I get home. Shows you how much love the ODU has had lately, doesn't it? I'm waiting for my new tuners.

Just checked - yes, mine has a sticker inside, visible through the sound hole.

Rodney.
05-14-2013, 05:28 AM
So how does it matchup against a decent Dolphin? Does anyone of you own both?

kvehe
05-14-2013, 05:53 AM
I have a decent Dolphin, which, at this point, and I sort of hate to say it, I vastly, vastly prefer, no question about it. I also have a basic Flea, which I prefer. But maybe it's just me. I don't much like plinky sounds, although I know some people do.

JonThysell
05-14-2013, 09:03 AM
I have a decent Dolphin, which, at this point, and I sort of hate to say it, I vastly, vastly prefer, no question about it. I also have a basic Flea, which I prefer. But maybe it's just me. I don't much like plinky sounds, although I know some people do.

Of the two I much prefer my Dolphin with Aquila Reds to the Outdoor Uke with regular Aquilas- but I'm willing to give the OU a chance to break in.

SailingUke
05-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Of the two I much prefer my Dolphin with Aquila Reds to the Outdoor Uke with regular Aquilas- but I'm willing to give the OU a chance to break in.

I doubt the plastic will break in.

bborzell
05-14-2013, 10:36 AM
I doubt the plastic will break in.

I think he might have meant break in to the house

Uncle Rod Higuchi
05-14-2013, 11:09 AM
As an owner of a ToneRite (tune-in enhancer) I intend to let it do its thing to get all the assembled pieces vibrating in unison - I believe that's the general concept in a tune-in process.

Anyway, it seems to be working on my solid woods and laminates. I understand that I'll be trying to 'condition' PLASTIC, but we'll give it the old college try. :)

keep uke'in',

Rodney.
05-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Ouch, musically beaten by a much cheaper Dolphin, that must feel bad for those nice people.
Mine is strong enough for my activities, so I will not be purchasing a ODU.

ksiegel
05-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Also, why does the uke not actually say OUTDOOR UKULELE on it anywhere?
I think I am going to take the sticker they give you and put it on the inside, in the soundhole

I thought the sticker was supposed to be in the soundhole, and I was the only person who got it not attached...

-Kurt

bnolsen
05-15-2013, 02:16 AM
I'd like to know how the ODU compares to a vintage plastic or a banjolele.

I didn't have a stick anywhere on mine nor one loose inside my packaging. My 2yro son got to and opened the box long before I did, however.

ukeeku
05-15-2013, 03:11 AM
Nothing like a banjolele, but just as plinky as the old plastic ukes.
I just put some reds on and like it.
I will bring it to UWC and try out the other string combos and decide what to do from there.

bborzell
05-15-2013, 04:55 AM
Someone posted on the ODU Facebook page about getting a shipping notice for order number 236. No notice here, though. I always thought that 191 came before 236.

SailingUke
05-15-2013, 04:59 AM
People are reporting getting shipping notices with order numbers over 200. No notice here, though. I always thought that 191 came before 200+.

I got a shipping notice, but the package has not moved, I don't believe they actually mailed the package, just sent the notice.
At this point I am not happy with the communication and wish I had not ordered a uke or suggested it to my friends.

bborzell
05-15-2013, 05:07 AM
I got a shipping notice, but the package has not moved, I don't believe they actually mailed the package, just sent the notice.
At this point I am not happy with the communication and wish I had not ordered a uke or suggested it to my friends.

Hmmm...

What is your order number?

I have been trying to give them a break given the startup and all. But, the email communication snafu along with immediately charging my credit card started wearing on my tolerance. At this point, it appears that the shipping priorities are changing daily. Again, starting a new venture like this is a great challenge and some unavoidable complications are to be expected. But, why 236 comes before 191 when 191 isn't being held up for strings (I even suggested that they send mine with no strings) is a head scratcher.

bnolsen
05-15-2013, 05:19 AM
Nothing like a banjolele, but just as plinky as the old plastic ukes.
I just put some reds on and like it.
I will bring it to UWC and try out the other string combos and decide what to do from there.

If you've got the patience to go through a ton of string changes I'm more than willing and eager to wait for your analysis and suggestions for the best 2 or 3 sets to put on this ukulele. I have a pack of martin m600s on mine currently and those were definitely an improvement over the bionylons (which isn't saying much, really).

Good to hear this ukulele compares with the old plastic ones, it seems like they may be able to establish a market as a new improved TV Pal in addition to the "extreme conditions/car/camping ukulele". I think the only other new manufacture plastics are chinese made for the japanese market (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?25176-More-new-NAMM-ukes-PLASTIC-ANYONE!) 169USD street. That means their only real competition on the plastic side are these old used plastics from ebay.

The plastic dolphin and mainland gecko (are these still made and sold?) are designed to copy the sound of a laminate, I think they do a good job of that.

And yes, you need to give them a break about being a new company. Who knows what reasons they have for sending them out of order. It's definitely not malicious, there's probably some reason for it, perhaps how they organized and grouped the 'special orders' (different strings? different tuners?).

One thing, both good and bad for them, is that many of us who bought the OU are networked together. Otherwise you would never have known about the shipping stagger. This is the cost of them being transparent and using the internet as the primary vehicle for marketing and sales.

I also saw a delay in shipping information submittal and actually shipping. I would hazard to guess they actually box them up, get the shipping labels bought and attached, get a batch together and then drop them off at the post office, but likely not every day.

I wonder if GUS of GUGUG is going to get a hold of one of these? He's a big plastics guy.

OldePhart
05-15-2013, 07:02 AM
I wonder if the shipping notices thing is out of their hands. If they're shipping using USPS then the "tracking" is a joke. I've received "just shipped" notices from the USPS a full week after I had the item in my hands!

John

HeWhoTalksLoudSayinNothin
05-15-2013, 07:06 AM
And yes, you need to give them a break about being a new company. Who knows what reasons they have for sending them out of order. It's definitely not malicious, there's probably some reason for it, perhaps how they organized and grouped the 'special orders' (different strings? different tuners?).

I could see that they were a bit overwhelmed by the response and then were to enthusiastic about how fast they can roll out stuff. Especially since the prototype they had seemed to be a little bit different from the real end product (I remember reading that somewhere on the kickstarter site I think). That is probably it overall.

ukemunga
05-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Typically, if they're using an online postage service like Endicia, the shipping email is sent automatically to the recipient when the label is printed. Doesn't mean the item is already at the PO.

Kem
05-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Mine (#23) has arrived in Canada, but the tuner...thingies...make it completely unplayable. It is impossible to get the strings in tune. I can barely move the C tuner at all. I guess I'll try for the Grovers and just hope that the instrument will end up playable however many weeks from now. And yes, I have had ukes with peg tuners before, and I understand how to finesse them. These ones won't budge in anything other than half-tone (if I'm lucky) or full-tone (the majority of the time) jerks.

bborzell
05-15-2013, 01:30 PM
191 just shipped

ukemunga
05-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Mine (#23) has arrived in Canada, but the tuner...thingies...make it completely unplayable. It is impossible to get the strings in tune. I can barely move the C tuner at all. I guess I'll try for the Grovers and just hope that the instrument will end up playable however many weeks from now. And yes, I have had ukes with peg tuners before, and I understand how to finesse them. These ones won't budge in anything other than half-tone (if I'm lucky) or full-tone (the majority of the time) jerks.

In theory you push the pegs further down from the top to ease the tension. But when you force the string windings down the peg toward the headstock, that can't help but pull the peg upward increasing the tension.

The only usable alternative may be to let the windings over-wrap each other - allowing the peg to be more free.

I'm just looking forward to the Grovers.

Kem
05-15-2013, 02:18 PM
In theory you push the pegs further down from the top to ease the tension. But when you force the string windings down the peg toward the headstock, that can't help but pull the peg upward increasing the tension.

The only usable alternative may be to let the windings over-wrap each other - allowing the peg to be more free.

I'm just looking forward to the Grovers.

If only that were possible. Only a tiny portion of each peg (maybe two or three millimetres) is sticking up past the headstock. If I pulled them out any further, there wouldn't be anything to wrap the strings around. The strings are already crammed down against the headstock. With luck, the Grovers will help.

ukemunga
05-15-2013, 02:25 PM
If only that were possible. Only a tiny portion of each peg (maybe two or three millimetres) is sticking up past the headstock. If I pulled them out any further, there wouldn't be anything to wrap the strings around. The strings are already crammed down against the headstock. With luck, the Grovers will help.

Exactly. Maybe a good idea would be to start the windings ABOVE the string hole and then come back down allowing the peg to be backed off more. Just speculation. Maybe I'll try it while waiting for the Grovers.

kvehe
05-15-2013, 02:40 PM
My Grover 2B tuners arrived today - what a difference! I put on the Worth Browns, and think I'll like them fine once they settle.

bborzell
05-15-2013, 02:50 PM
ODU shipping today. Maybe by this weekend, I can compare it to the Dolphin I ordered yesterday.

Ukester Brown
05-15-2013, 04:05 PM
I haven't gotten my ODU yet- although it did get shipped and I should have it in a few days. One question that pops up in this thread is how does it compare to a vintage plastic. First off, there is a broad variety of "vintage plastic" from the "finders" to the "Islanders". I love Maccaferri Islanders and have a few of them. The big difference without even getting the ODU to compare it to is that you would not leave a vintage plastic uke in the car in the summer. I know of more than one person who had theirs melt in car heat when they were kids. Also, this one is being marketed as one to take to places you would not want to take a different uke. What would happen if you swamp the canoe with your dolphin, or it's tied to the back of your pack when hiking in the rain? Is the glue gonna pop apart or the wood warp? Or you just leave it out on the picnic table overnight and it gets saturated with dew? Will it sound any good then? I do want the ODU to sound good, but I'm going to do some field testing too.
I know the folks at ODU must have had the pre-order to get some cash flow going, but a lot of this thread is about bugs that would have been worked out if we weren't "Anxiously waiting" for our ODU to arrive.
Now- back to my anxious waiting...

SailingUke
05-15-2013, 06:51 PM
I have a "Happy Tune" plastic with a great sound. I am just going to stick with it and dolphins.
Cancelling my ODU, which will never ship.

DWUke
05-16-2013, 01:04 AM
Mine shipped on May 5, and arrived yesterday, May 15. Why so long? I live in Canada!
First impressions … a fine looking instrument. Mine has the upgraded tuners and strings.
Fit and finish are good.
Lots of volume for a soprano ukulele.
Don't mind the square neck; similar to a "Wolfelele" I built some time ago.
Annoying that there are no really visible markers on the neck. There are indentations, but you have to manipulate the neck to get the light just right to see them.
Too bad there is no logo on the headstock as per the original pictures, but there is an OU label visible through the soundhole.
Nice and lightweight to hold and play.
Pleased with the sound. It doesn't sound like my other ukes. A unique sound compared to my tenor Fluke, and spruce/rosewood/mahogany Oscar Scmidt OU13.
Took a while to get it tuned, 'cause the strings are stretching. Have only had the uke for a day now, but strings seem to have settled in.
Overall impression? I like it!

OldePhart
05-16-2013, 02:50 AM
...The strings are already crammed down against the headstock. This is actually probably what's causing the worst of the binding. The big rubbery stretchy strings on the Kala UBASS do the same thing - they will wrap themselves down and wedge against the fretboard and lock the geared tuners up solid - people have actually broken tuners because of it.

I had to remove, cut the excess off, and restring the UBASS about twice before enough slack was taken up that the strings began to hold a decent tune (which took months, not days or weeks like regular strings).

Anyway, try rewrapping so you have a couple of turns above and a couple below the string hole and it should become at least tolerable.

John

John

naturelover
05-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Mine shipped Monday and made it to my house this morning! The sound is definitely different from any other uke I've heard (though I haven't played any other plastic ukes). I think I'll like it a lot as soon as the strings settle, kinda hard to tell when it goes out of tune so fast, but I like the tone and the volume is impressive! I've got some Worth Browns on the way, and I'm hoping it'll sound even better with those :). I definitely won't worry about taking this uke with me backpacking/in the car/pretty much everywhere, which is exactly why I got one. I'm relieved that the wait is finally over, but now I have to make it through a whole work day with a uke waiting for me!

Ukejungle
05-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Order # 94 just received.............. opening now.

ukemunga
05-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Order # 94 just received.............. opening now.

I hope you got the Grover tuners or have some Valium handy...

bnolsen
05-16-2013, 01:56 PM
I hope you got the Grover tuners or have some Valium handy...

You should be proud. I bet it's your comments about the friction tuners that made the ODU (is that what we're calling it?) guys offer grover 2bs by default.

ukemunga
05-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Most of the comments I have read are what is normal for people getting used to friction tuners, no matter which uke they are on.
Buy a small Phillips head screw driver and use it to get the tension right, and use an electronic tuner when the strings are new, and most friction tuner problems go away.
Part of the learning process is to learn how to adjust the tension, it does not have to be rock hard, just tight enough is all you need.
Tuning by ear is an iterative process sometimes and can be frustrating with friction tuners. So do the coarse tuning with an electronic tuner, and fine tune with your ears if you need to.
Nylon strings stretch and settle and get a memory. Fiddling around with them all the time is very frustrating. It is better to let them settle and leave them alone as much as possible, or just stick to small changes. Patience is your friend. So sometimes they take a week to settle, but then they will stay rock steady for several years sometimes as well.

The standard polycarbonate friction pegs are truly that. Just conical pegs that slip into the hole. No moving parts in other words. No screws. No tension adjustment.

Wood against wood in that respect I would think is much more adjustable. Plastic to plastic has no give, and each adjustment attempt "jumps" the peg further that it needs to go. There is no "turning"... only moving it in "notches" so to speak.

No comparison to modern, adjustable friction tuners. I have friction tuners on my Mainland long-neck soprano and have no problem with them.

ukemunga
05-16-2013, 02:38 PM
You should be proud. I bet it's your comments about the friction tuners that made the ODU (is that what we're calling it?) guys offer grover 2bs by default.

Not just me. I just actually used the word "bitch!" :o

bnolsen
05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Most of the comments I have read are what is normal for people getting used to friction tuners, no matter which uke they are on.

Uhhh...the ODU peg tuners are just a hunk of polycarbonate that is super sticky. Actual "friction tuners" like the grovers are a piece of cake and no one is complaining about those here!

bborzell
05-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Wondering if anyone who received a shipping notice on the 15th has seen anything on the USPS site other than the notice of shipping documents received by USPS (as opposed to USPS having actually received the package). Have not seen any change on my end.

bnolsen
05-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Wondering if anyone who received a shipping notice on the 15th has seen anything on the USPS site other than the notice of shipping documents received by USPS (as opposed to USPS having actually received the package). Have not seen any change on my end.

It took a couple of days for mine to go from shipping notice to actually shipped. Keep on looking, hopefully it'll hit the sorting facility or whatever tonight.

gitarzan
05-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Mine is running around town in a USPS truck right now.

bnolsen
05-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Mine is running around town in a USPS truck right now.

I wonder how good a uke player the USPS delivery guy is.

ukeeku
05-17-2013, 08:59 AM
So far I like the Aquila reds on mine, and I changed the tuners to some 2B that I had with gold hardware (BLECH), but they work a LOT better.
I will do a review and sound sample after UWC.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
05-17-2013, 09:28 AM
just got mine hand-delivered to me at work (Middle School Office) :)

Still working, so can't open the box yet!

keep uke'in',

mkatz
05-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Mine arrived yesterday and I really want to like it . . . I have the 2B tuners and nylgut strings and they re still stretching. Considering I can keep it in the trunk, I can live with the tone and the square neck and think it looks kind of cool. The intonation seems to be off however and that I cannot live with. I'm gonna play around with it for a few more days and decide whether to keep it or not.

Mitch

rickkes
05-17-2013, 12:05 PM
I got mine today-one day in advance of the USPS original "expected delivery by" date. Go USPS . . .

I really like the Grover tuners, so far. My only other uke with friction tuners has 2b's on it. I would have happy with them, even.

I'd really like to put a strap on it, though. But I don't know if there is enough plastic there to hold a screw. . . maybe there a way bolt a strap button on.

For now, I put a square of velcro on the heal and I sewed a patch of the mating velcro on the end of a strap- that works pretty well. been using that on mt fluke for a long time.

I wonder how well polycarbonite takes paint. . .these things might make cool canvases for some neat custom paint jobs.

rickkes
05-17-2013, 12:07 PM
quick edit-I got the 85b tuners.

bnolsen
05-17-2013, 12:09 PM
I'd really like to put a strap on it, though. But I don't know if there is enough plastic there to hold a screw. . . maybe there a way bolt a strap button on.

I'd be scared of starting a runaway crack. Glue is probably your best friend and if you can find polycarbonate mounting hardware using the same solvent they did for production might be good (glue should work).

The intonation seems to be off however and that I cannot live with.

I originally thought the intonation was off as well. Then I realized that with the frets as dang high as they are that I don't need to press the strings all the way down to the fretboard which helped me.

ukemunga
05-17-2013, 12:21 PM
So far I like the Aquila reds on mine, and I changed the tuners to some 2B that I had with gold hardware (BLECH), but they work a LOT better.
I will do a review and sound sample after UWC.

I'm very interested to compare the reds with the browns.

ukemunga
05-17-2013, 12:25 PM
I got mine today-one day in advance of the USPS original "expected delivery by" date. Go USPS . . .

I really like the Grover tuners, so far. My only other uke with friction tuners has 2b's on it. I would have happy with them, even.

For now, I put a square of velcro on the heal and I sewed a patch of the mating velcro on the end of a strap- that works pretty well. been using that on mt fluke for a long time.

I wonder how well polycarbonite takes paint. . .these things might make cool canvases for some neat custom paint jobs.

You can put a small block on the inside of the uke for the bottom strap button to screw into. The under-neck pin is more problematic. You could always do the tie-on thing at the headstock.

rickkes
05-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I didn't even consider putting a button on teh neck. . .it seems to be a fairly thin casting. I just tied it onto the headstock with a string. The self stick velcro i used on the other end has a pretty strong adhesive. It's plenty strong enough to secure the strap. I wonder if it has an effect on resonance, though. I stuck on a 1.5 x 2" patch of it right on the uke's heel. It should peel right off if need be. . .

ukemunga
05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I didn't even consider putting a button on teh neck. . .it seems to be a fairly thin casting. I just tied it onto the headstock with a string. The self stick velcro i used on the other end has a pretty strong adhesive. It's plenty strong enough to secure the strap. I wonder if it has an effect on resonance, though. I stuck on a 1.5 x 2" patch of it right on the uke's heel. It should peel right off if need be. . .

I can't imagine it would make any discernible difference. It is what it is. A $100 plastic (pretty darn cool) uke.

gitarzan
05-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Mine got here today. I think I'll call the black beauty.

It's smaller than I thought it would be. The squared neck isn't too bad.

The plastic tuners do suck and the strings are hokey as well.

I hate to say it, I got a feeling we'll be seeing them or something just like itin Walmart in a year selling for $49.

Anyway it's still pretty cool.

bnolsen
05-17-2013, 01:22 PM
I hate to say it, I got a feeling we'll be seeing them or something just like itin Walmart in a year selling for $49.

We would wish the ODU guys that much success, but probably not Walmart. They used to be cool until about 5-7 years or so ago when they started getting rid of their generic brand stuff and also cutting back all their stock. They just don't carry cool things anymore.

naturelover
05-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Does anyone else get a buzz when strumming? I've been trying to pin it down, I just changed the strings (to Worth Browns) so I wonder if it's a string stretching issue. Seems to be mostly just the C string, maybe the E a little, I can get the buzz if I pluck them a little stronger. I suppose it could also be technique since I'm still learning. Any suggestions to avoid it?

chindog
05-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Mine arrived today. I got the standard tuners, and they are just too difficult for me to get in tune. I'm going to have to change them out for something else.

It is sort of cute, though. It will make a nice beater once I sort out the tuner issue and get some decent strings on them.

Bob-in-Alberta
05-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Mine showed up today too. Order #28 with the original tuners. Tuning is definitely a pain but I got it so that it was playable in about 10 minutes. Tuning is drifting but it should hopefully settle down in a couple of days and I should have 2b tuners on the way that should help make it easier to tune. All in all, I like it. I've been storing my other two ukes in their cases all winter due to my area's humidity issues and it will be nice to have something that I don't have to worry about as much.

OldePhart
05-18-2013, 03:40 AM
I've been storing my other two ukes in their cases all winter due to my area's humidity issues and it will be nice to have something that I don't have to worry about as much.

If you mean "storing them" as in not even taking them out to play that's not really necessary, even in very dry climates. In fact, it's probably even bad because it's so easy to forget to check humidifiers unless you are a lot more disciplined than I am! It takes some time for moisture to migrate in and out of wood. As long as you avoid very sudden, wild changes in temperature there's no problem with taking one out to play a few hours, then put it back in the case with the humidifier.

If you just meant "storing them" as in keeping them in cases instead of hanging them on the wall then that's a pretty good idea anyway for anyone who doesn't live where humidity averages somewhere near 50% and neither heat nor a/c are used much.

John

stevepetergal
05-18-2013, 04:08 AM
Another video sample on youtube (not mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cTg_De1FVzE

Thanks for posting the video, bnolsen. Sounds very good. I would probably get one, based on your vid, but, I play mostly indoors.

I'm enjoying the thread. It's almost like a UU withing a UU.

bnolsen
05-18-2013, 05:16 AM
Thanks for posting the video, bnolsen. Sounds very good. I would probably get one, based on your vid, but, I play mostly indoors.

I'm enjoying the thread. It's almost like a UU withing a UU.

not my video, i just reposted it for informational purposes.

bynapkinart
05-18-2013, 09:16 AM
I just got mine at work and I've been taking a minute here and there to play it. Here are some first impressions:

-I got mine with the Grover 85B upgrade, which is a relief considering all I had read about the standard friction pegs...they're super smooth and look great
-It looks fantastic
-Square neck is interesting, not super comfortable but not uncomfortable either. I should get used to it but time will tell
-It's a LOT heavier than I thought it would be, maybe almost twice as heavy as my vintage plastic uke. That being said, it's also way louder and feels more resonant than the vintage plastic, which lends a little weight to the theory that the glass-filled polycarbonate material is a better sounding material than the old styron used previously.
-It reminds me why I personally hate Aquila strings. Too punchy with no sustain. I suspect that the M600's I have waiting for it at home will not only sound fuller, but will also add sustain. Again, can't tell till later

I plan on doing a sound test between the stock ODU I've received, the ODU with M600s on it, the vintage plastic (for material comparison), and my Gretsch soprano (for price comparison). It should be interesting because the Gretsch to me is one of the best values out there in an instrument, and if this even comes close and it's built in the USA out of innovative materials, then I'll be super happy. As it stands, I think once I change the strings out I'll be happy. We will see later on this evening though!

bynapkinart
05-18-2013, 09:16 AM
I just got mine at work and I've been taking a minute here and there to play it. Here are some first impressions:

-I got mine with the Grover 85B upgrade, which is a relief considering all I had read about the standard friction pegs...they're super smooth and look great
-It looks fantastic
-Square neck is interesting, not super comfortable but not uncomfortable either. I should get used to it but time will tell
-It's a LOT heavier than I thought it would be, maybe almost twice as heavy as my vintage plastic uke. That being said, it's also way louder and feels more resonant than the vintage plastic, which lends a little weight to the theory that the glass-filled polycarbonate material is a better sounding material than the old styron used previously.
-It reminds me why I personally hate Aquila strings. Too punchy with no sustain. I suspect that the M600's I have waiting for it at home will not only sound fuller, but will also add sustain. Again, can't tell till later

I plan on doing a sound test between the stock ODU I've received, the ODU with M600s on it, the vintage plastic (for material comparison), and my Gretsch soprano (for price comparison). It should be interesting because the Gretsch to me is one of the best values out there in an instrument, and if this even comes close and it's built in the USA out of innovative materials, then I'll be super happy. As it stands, I think once I change the strings out I'll be happy. We will see later on this evening though!

gitarzan
05-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Just ordered Grovers. The pegs are insipid.

Ukester Brown
05-18-2013, 12:50 PM
I've had mine for about 24 hours. I like it- not the BioNylon. I swapped out to Martin Flourocarbon and you can hear them both here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGB5mL9TbWE

UkeKiddinMe
05-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Fantastic post. Thank you.

rpfrogner
05-18-2013, 02:03 PM
I've had mine for about 24 hours. I like it- not the BioNylon. I swapped out to Martin Flourocarbon and you can hear them both here:

Way to go Ukester! Very informative.

kvehe
05-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Thank you, Ukester!

OldePhart
05-18-2013, 05:11 PM

That's actually pretty encouraging - hard to judge volume of course because AGC in the camera but it's not got bad tone especially with the M600 strings. There might be hope for this thing yet... :)

And if all else fails one can use it for a tennis racket... :)

John

05-18-2013, 10:21 PM

Awesome and informative video! Thanks!

Ukester Brown
05-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Here's a great video by Mark-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ccm62xbt6Y

good_uke_boy
05-20-2013, 01:46 AM
Are Outdoor Ukuleles out of stock, now? (I'd post this question on their Facebook page, but I don't have a Facebook account.)

surfink
05-20-2013, 03:36 AM
On the webpage it says "out of stock"

DWUke
05-20-2013, 07:21 AM
What is the difference between the Grover 2B tuners and the Grover 85B? My OU has the 85B tuners, but OU now seems to be using 2B tuners (when ukes are in stock).

JonThysell
05-20-2013, 10:50 AM

Took my ODU camping this past weekend, was nice not having to worry about it getting hurt, and was fun to play. Got over the square neck, though the sound/aquilas still bothered me.

After watching this video I switched to some Fremont Fluroucarbons and stopped pressing so hard- what a difference! The strings still need to stretch, but already I'm liking the sound much better.

kvehe
05-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Maybe this belongs in the original thread, but anyway....

I ordered a second one (order #320) on 05/04, and received an email today telling me that they could ship it "right away" and refund $30 if I would like to have it with 2B tuners and no strings, as opposed to 85B tuners and BioNylons. Well, yes, that would be fine, thank you.

mkatz
05-20-2013, 01:58 PM

I ordered a second one (order #320) on 05/04, and received an email today telling me that they could ship it "right away" and refund $30 if I would like to have it with 2B tuners and no strings, as opposed to 85B tuners and BioNylons. Well, yes, that would be fine, thank you.

Now that's a deal!

bnolsen
05-20-2013, 02:01 PM
I ordered a second one (order #320) on 05/04

Wow you liked it enough for a second one? What strings have you gone through and settled on?

UkeKiddinMe
05-20-2013, 02:06 PM

Are you officially the first here to order a second? This will go down in history.

:D

kvehe
05-20-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure what I was thinking. Probably that I wanted to try a variety of strings and it would be easier to compare them side-by-side, and then I'd leave one at work. I currently have Worth Browns on it, but I keep saying that I'll try something else.

Okay, I just changed them to D'Addario Nyltechs. I'm not sure which I prefer. I like them because I can see them.

ukuLily Mars
05-20-2013, 04:14 PM

Actually, I think you need to start "The I Bought Two Outdoor Ukuleles Thread," or better yet, "The I Have an Outdoor Ukulele in My Hands and I Just Ordered Another One Thread."

Very cool that you saved $30 on the second. I look forward to your string comparisons!

bnolsen
05-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Actually, I think you need to start "The I Bought Two Outdoor Ukuleles Thread," or better yet, "The I Have an Outdoor Ukulele in My Hands and I Just Ordered Another One Thread."

Very cool that you saved $30 on the second. I look forward to your string comparisons!

not exactly saved. she originally ordered with the 85bs which are expensive. they just refunded her the difference.

haolejohn
05-20-2013, 06:30 PM
I received mine today. Would have gotten it last week but i had my mail held as we transitioned to my summer home..strings are pretty much stretched. Staying in tune. I have stock tuners...not greatest but not the worst either. Sound decent. Left it in my car today with windows up. No damage noticed.

Macmuse
05-21-2013, 02:18 AM
I Left it in my car today with windows up. No damage noticed.

Shouldn't this be the start of a new thread like "I abused my ODU... And it's still in one piece" or "I abused my ODU... No noticeable damage (yet)" or something along those lines? ;)

kvehe
05-21-2013, 02:46 AM

I would be very lonely there as the only poster. LOL

bnolsen
05-21-2013, 03:00 AM
I would be very lonely there as the only poster. LOL

I think someone mentioned buying 2 on Facebook as well but I bet you beat them to it.

Ukejungle
05-21-2013, 03:50 AM
Weather Report: left my OU in my 71 VW camper this past weekend. Camping in 90 degree temps here in Texas. No problem for the OU. It got pretty warm and survived the trip.

Anyone tried Low G Reds on the OU yet?

Thanks

ukuLily Mars
05-21-2013, 04:06 AM
not exactly saved. she originally ordered with the 85bs which are expensive. they just refunded her the difference.

Oh, you're right. Kathryn did say "refunded." Thanks.

OldePhart
05-21-2013, 06:25 AM
Weather Report: left my OU in my 71 VW camper this past weekend. Camping in 90 degree temps here in Texas. No problem for the OU. It got pretty warm and survived the trip.

Anyone tried Low G Reds on the OU yet?

Thanks

I so wish I still had my old '70 bus... :(

John

bborzell
05-21-2013, 06:50 AM

John

I'm glad I don't have mine (early 60s model). After the second thrown rod, I left it alongside the road in Sherwood, Oregon in 1969.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
05-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Oh, that's your bus? :)

I've switched out the bionylons with a set of Auroroa 'Rainbows' and I'm in the process of 'conditioning' the uke and strings with my ToneRite. It might be a placebo effect, but I think it helps - getting the entire instrument vibrating all together :)

I haven't been having difficulty tuning with standard tuners... but then I'm also NOT using an electronic tuner :) I'm just tuning by ear.

I still hear the infamous 'slap' when I strum a bit too energetically (which is my style) so I feel the need to tone it down a bit. But when I do, I think I'm getting a pretty nice sound out of the ODU. I'm happy with it. I'll take it out this weekend (NorthWest FolkLife Festival at the Seattle Center) but I'll still play my go-to Kala Soprano Travel Uke when I lead SUPA on Mon the 27th during our performance.

I play to be heard, so having that unwanted 'slap' (esp from the C/3rd string) is taming my playing a bit. But like I said above, when I do tone it down a bit, it sounds good to me.

I hope others will find their investment to be a fair trade at least, and a good deal in the end. I'll have to think about ordering replacement tuners, esp if I want to play 'nice' (read 'in tune') with others. :)

keep uke'in',

ukemunga
05-21-2013, 07:54 AM
Oh, that's your bus? :)

I've switched out the bionylons with a set of Auroroa 'Rainbows' and I'm in the process of 'conditioning' the uke and strings with my ToneRite. It might be a placebo effect, but I think it helps - getting the entire instrument vibrating all together :)

I haven't been having difficulty tuning with standard tuners... but then I'm also NOT using an electronic tuner :) I'm just tuning by ear.

I still hear the infamous 'slap' when I strum a bit too energetically (which is my style) so I feel the need to tone it down a bit. But when I do, I think I'm getting a pretty nice sound out of the ODU. I'm happy with it. I'll take it out this weekend (NorthWest FolkLife Festival at the Seattle Center) but I'll still play my go-to Kala Soprano Travel Uke when I lead SUPA on Mon the 27th during our performance.

I play to be heard, so having that unwanted 'slap' (esp from the C/3rd string) is taming my playing a bit. But like I said above, when I do tone it down a bit, it sounds good to me.

I hope others will find their investment to be a fair trade at least, and a good deal in the end. I'll have to think about ordering replacement tuners, esp if I want to play 'nice' (read 'in tune') with others. :)

keep uke'in',

The 2Bs are only about $10 online. I'm still waiting for the "freebies" from ODU but may just buy a set. Leaving for UWC next Tuesday...

ukeeku
05-21-2013, 10:21 AM
The 2Bs are only about $10 online. I'm still waiting for the "freebies" from ODU but may just buy a set. Leaving for UWC next Tuesday...

Do it, they are WAAAY better. Mine are gold with black buttons. with the aquila reds it looks classy.

bborzell
05-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Well, it looks like my ODU is lost. USPS sez that all they ever received regarding my tracking number was the electronic manifest notice; no uke. They did a random search on several tracking numbers from my manifest and all had arrived at their destination on the 17th. So I have a call into the ODU folks.

OldePhart
05-21-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm glad I don't have mine (early 60s model). After the second thrown rod, I left it alongside the road in Sherwood, Oregon in 1969.

I got this bus from a fellow GI when I was stationed in Iceland in the early 80's. It had been on the island less than a year and had come from SoCal so was not rusted at all. It was almost pristine inside and out and with a newly rebuilt motor because the owner had blown the engine going cross country to ship it from the port in Bayonne, NJ. He had a rebuilt engine installed in one of the Eastern states sold the van as soon as he got to the island. The guy who bought it was an inept sort who "did a tune up on it" and left it so it would idle fine but not run much over twenty MPH. The inept guy was getting ready to transfer back to the states and didn't want to fool with it so he sold it to me for like $200. First thing I did was go to set the timing, in the dark, and I noticed a spark as I rotated the distributor. When he'd replaced the points he'd pushed the grommet out the bottom of the distributor and it was arcing to ground at higher RPM.

I pushed the grommet back in place and drove that thing all over the island, in every kind of weather, for a year and a half and never had a single problem with it. The only reason I sold it was I was transferring to a base in the desert in California and didn't want a vehicle without AC - now 'days I wish I'd kept it.

John

OldePhart
05-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Well, it looks like my ODU is lost. USPS sez that all they ever received regarding my tracking number was the electronic manifest notice; no uke. They did a random search on several tracking numbers from my manifest and all had arrived at their destination on the 17th. So I have a call into the ODU folks.

That sucks. Hopefully they'll get one out pronto.

bborzell
05-21-2013, 12:57 PM
I got this bus from a fellow GI when I was stationed in Iceland in the early 80's. It had been on the island less than a year and had come from SoCal so was not rusted at all. It was almost pristine inside and out and with a newly rebuilt motor because the owner had blown the engine going cross country to ship it from the port in Bayonne, NJ. He had a rebuilt engine installed in one of the Eastern states sold the van as soon as he got to the island. The guy who bought it was an inept sort who "did a tune up on it" and left it so it would idle fine but not run much over twenty MPH. The inept guy was getting ready to transfer back to the states and didn't want to fool with it so he sold it to me for like $200. First thing I did was go to set the timing, in the dark, and I noticed a spark as I rotated the distributor. When he'd replaced the points he'd pushed the grommet out the bottom of the distributor and it was arcing to ground at higher RPM.

I pushed the grommet back in place and drove that thing all over the island, in every kind of weather, for a year and a half and never had a single problem with it. The only reason I sold it was I was transferring to a base in the desert in California and didn't want a vehicle without AC - now 'days I wish I'd kept it.

John

Up until the second rod went, I might have related a similar positive experience. Mine lasted through 2 bike racing seasons. Served me well until it coughed up its guts and had to be rebuilt. I used it to move to Portland to start up a residential treatment center for kids. It took two trips from northern California and the second trip ended in Sherwood.

ukemunga
05-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Do it, they are WAAAY better. Mine are gold with black buttons. with the aquila reds it looks classy.

Done! And they can't get here too soon. Only coming from Akron though.

At least now the strings have pretty much settled in but the retuning, when necessary, is now in finer increments... which is more difficult.

Ukejungle
05-21-2013, 03:19 PM

John

John,

I feel your bus love. I wish you were here in Houston. Not many ukulele players here that I can find. Just started playing in March looking for fellow ukers to play with. If you know down here let me know.

Trey in Sugar Land.

Ukejungle
05-21-2013, 03:30 PM

Have you seen what splittys are going for these days in any condition? It's crazy. You could buy a couple of Moore Bettah ukuleles for what people will give you for a spilty that evens needs an engine.

Trey

haolejohn
05-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Shouldn't this be the start of a new thread like "I abused my ODU... And it's still in one piece" or "I abused my ODU... No noticeable damage (yet)" or something along those lines? ;)

Yes it should. I have already started the write up on it. I left mine in the cat all day again today.

ickybaby
05-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Yes it should. I have already started the write up on it. I left mine in the cat all day again today.

That's one nice sized cat...how did you get it in?

bnolsen
05-21-2013, 04:27 PM

I wanna know how he gets it back out.

gitarzan
05-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Put on some Grover 2Bs and Martin strings and it made a massive improvement.

OldePhart
05-21-2013, 05:00 PM

What, were you hoping the cat would restring it for you? (strings used to be "cat gut" ).

John

OldePhart
05-21-2013, 05:01 PM
John,

I feel your bus love. I wish you were here in Houston. Not many ukulele players here that I can find. Just started playing in March looking for fellow ukers to play with. If you know down here let me know.

Trey in Sugar Land.

Hi, I don't know any ukers down there since my oldest daughter's family moved to Idaho last year. Their oldest boy was coming along quite nicely on the uke.

John

haolejohn
05-21-2013, 05:04 PM

Lots of ky jelly. Lol.

haolejohn
05-21-2013, 05:05 PM
What, were you hoping the cat would restring it for you? (strings used to be "cat gut" ).

John

Well...what happened was i was trying to tune it and it slipped out my hands...

bynapkinart
05-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Just a couple more quick observations after having and playing it for a few days now:

-The volume is deceivingly loud. The sound doesn't project out around the uke like a typical wood instrument, so as the player it sounds a little quieter than I would have expected. When someone else plays it and I'm standing in front of it though....WOW. The tone shouts at you like a speaker, straight out of the front of it. Really interesting, too...when someone plays it in front of me, I have trouble keeping up with it even with my tenor. Lots of volume from this design.
-The tone is similarly focused, too. As the player it sounds plasticy (a little on the thin side) but as the listener it sounds super full with a dynamic range similar again to my koa tenor. It doesn't have the sustain of a tenor but it has a ton of warmth and depth. The difference between listening to it and playing it is pretty profound, something that I haven't really seen in a uke so far. My guess is that the thicker back and neck reflect the sound straight back to the soundboard/fretboard and that's the reason why it sounds so different as a listener.
-Martin strings are winning, I might try Worth CH in the future but they really should ship with a nice set of flourocarbon strings installed instead of the Bionylon. I think if these guys shipped standard with Worth or Martins installed, it would make this uke pretty much perfect right out of the box.
-My original review, good for a $100 uke, has definitely been changed after the last few days. I'd say it's fantastic for a $100 uke, and probably one of the coolest and most original designs I've seen in a uke. You don't have to be a hardcore camper/hiker/climber to reap the benefits of the design, and the fact that it's all USA made and designed makes it all the more worthwhile. I think it's probably my favorite $100 purchase in the last few years, and that includes my Gretsch soprano (which I love).

Good job ODU folks!

bnolsen
05-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Interesting and cool review. I haven't heard anyone play this uke yet other than me so I find your comments on volume and tone to be rather interesting.

Couple of my comments:

- I suggested twice on their facebook page that they should seriously look at buying seaguar fluorocarbon leader for stringing these up. (one got removed with the video they killt). I also sent them a private message with links to what I thought were relevant UU posts about seaguar fluoro leader. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to have someone else give a similar suggestion as well.

- One build weakness in the ODU: You can flex the headstock back and forth. From what I recall the ODU does NOT have bracing to stop this flexing. From this video of the "Amuse" plastic ukulele (vintage style) got to 12:57 in this video and you'll see the headstock bracing they added:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0-ATCIVeX4&list=UUlDDaBb0M1BoqC-MNP_GV7Q&index=15

- IMHO the worst sound related part of the ODU is the lack of sustain. The bionylons only made this worse. The martins are better but still not very good. Do we have any consensus yet on what strings give the best sustain so far? Could this lack of sustain be related to the above point (lack of headstock bracing)?

Ukejungle
05-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Interesting and cool review. I haven't heard anyone play this uke yet other than me so I find your comments on volume and tone to be rather interesting.

Couple of my comments:

- I suggested twice on their facebook page that they should seriously look at buying seaguar fluorocarbon leader for stringing these up. (one got removed with the video they killt). I also sent them a private message with links to what I thought were relevant UU posts about seaguar fluoro leader. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to have someone else give a similar suggestion as well.

- One build weakness in the ODU: You can flex the headstock back and forth. From what I recall the ODU does NOT have bracing to stop this flexing. From this video of the "Amuse" plastic ukulele (vintage style) got to 12:57 in this video and you'll see the headstock bracing they added:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0-ATCIVeX4&list=UUlDDaBb0M1BoqC-MNP_GV7Q&index=15

- IMHO the worst sound related part of the ODU is the lack of sustain. The bionylons only made this worse. The martins are better but still not very good. Do we have any consensus yet on what strings give the best sustain so far? Could this lack of sustain be related to the above point (lack of headstock bracing)?

Maybe we should start a new thread, "What strings have you tried on your ODU?" Or something like that.

Trey

bborzell
05-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Well, after a week in the ozone, my ODU showed up today. It seems that priority mail from Bend to the east coast takes a plane and gets there in 2 days while Bend to me (420 miles) comes by male llama and takes a week. In my case, the llama is thought to have detoured while passing a llama ranch in the Siskiyou mountains. Not sure what originally attracted him there or what happened to get him going again, but the uke was on my doorstep when I got home this afternoon. The box didn't smell all that bad.

Here's a few impressions:

The upgrade strings (Nylgut) suck. They feel weird, they stretch forever and they sound like they came from a cat that is still complaining about having his gut filleted. They lasted about an hour and got yanked in favor of a set of Martin 600s. The difference is so great that I am at a loss to understand why the ODU is doomed to wear either the stock or "upgrade" strings. This uke needs fluorocarbon strings, period.

It is pretty loud, but as was suggested earlier, in addition to the top, the sound seems to also project from the fretboard. If you play it while holding the neck up to your ear, you can feel the sound coming through the fretboard. I am not convinced that this is a good thing. While I like the concept of the additional volume that comes with a hollow neck, I don't think that the fretboard is a tone friendly medium. I think it contributes to a chink chink tone. In fact, I am pretty sure that if the neck walls and fretboard were a bit thicker, you would still have the benefit of greater volume (at least greater than a std soprano) while not having the top having to compete with the fretboard for tone creation. As it is, the tone sounds a bit brittle and I believe that the edge comes from the neck/fretboard.

While I was playing it, I got to wondering if this might be a good candidate uke for a side sound port. I doubt that I will drag out my door hardware hole saw, but I think that whoever decides to hog out a hole will get a pleasant surprise.

I played the ODU alongside my wife's new Dolphin for about an hour. Both have the same Martin strings. For just plain laid back playing where full rich tone is desirable, the Dolphin edges out the ODU. OTOH, the ODU can be made to sound pretty upbeat and pleasing as long as your fretting fingers are both light and accurate. Too much barre pressure will sharpen random notes. Not hitting fretting sweet spot is more costly with respect to note clarity than any of my other ukes. Didn't check intonation as the strings were still stretching.

I like the stealth drone look. I would probably liked to have gotten the logo that was planned for the headstock, too.

The real lesson here is the junk strings offered by ODU. While those same strings might well sound OK on other ukes, they are a real liability to this alternate building material uke. I think it is worth the $124 I paid (with the 85B tuners). I can only barely imagine the torment that folks with th original plastic friction tuners went through.

Overall, I am looking forward to bringing the ODU along on all manner of wood uke trashing advertures.

Mattyukaholic
05-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Silly question. How do I get one? :) I presume they'll be making another batch at some point?

ukeeku
05-23-2013, 01:53 AM
Silly question. How do I get one? :) I presume they'll be making another batch at some point?

I assume you know to go here
http://outdoorukulele.com/
Currently out of stock. I guess wait?

naturelover
05-23-2013, 11:08 AM

I would check the facebook page, I think they said to email them if you're interested in ordering one. They're probably making a list of people to let them know when the next batch is ready. I have a feeling they will wait this time till they are all assembled before starting to accept orders and/or ship to avoid the issues they had with the first batch. :)

mketom
05-23-2013, 11:34 AM
My OU No. 304 arrived this AM. The OU is pretty remarkable for the price! Thanks Scott and Jennifer for the excellent design and all the hard work to get these out to a uke-hungry-sometimes-impatient public!!

Mattyukaholic
05-23-2013, 11:44 AM
I would check the facebook page, I think they said to email them if you're interested in ordering one. They're probably making a list of people to let them know when the next batch is ready. I have a feeling they will wait this time till they are all assembled before starting to accept orders and/or ship to avoid the issues they had with the first batch. :)

Thanks guys. Just emailed them now.

blender
05-24-2013, 04:12 PM
It was mailed via USPS Priority Mail on Wednesday and hit my doorstep (the postman did sorta pitch/slide it) today Friday. Not bad for delivery time for Oregon to Wisconsin, and the USPS tracking number was actually accurate. This was my first time that a USPS Priority tracking # provided useful information.

I decided to "upgrade" to the Grover tuners.. As others have noted, the "square-ish" neck takes a bit getting used to. I'm sure this will be a no-go item for some. I really have no complaints considering the price point and target usage.

I think this will now be my motorcycle travel & camping uke.

kvehe
05-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Order #320 arrived this morning. I put Aquila Reds on it and like it very much.

bnolsen
05-24-2013, 04:27 PM

which strings have the best sustain so far?

kvehe
05-24-2013, 05:07 PM
The Aquila Reds, and they feel really neat, too. I hadn't used them before.

ukemunga
05-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Just put Grover 2Bs on a few minutes ago. A totally different instrument. Really. Maybe just because I can actually GET IT IN TUNE!

Very interested to hear the Aquila Reds vs. the Worth Brown Mediums.

Next week... :)

Paul Dominic Martin
05-26-2013, 09:51 PM
http://youtu.be/Uw35Cu3Irgo
Just put Grover 2Bs on a few minutes ago. A totally different instrument. Really. Maybe just because I can actually GET IT IN TUNE!

Very interested to hear the Aquila Reds vs. the Worth Brown Mediums.

Next week... :)

My comparison of my outdoor soprano ukulele and my blackbird tenor ukulele. Both low-g (Aquila red)/worth clears) and both intended for the outdoors!!!!

bborzell
05-27-2013, 09:26 AM
After a week or so playing my UDU, I am of the opinion that the hollow neck is a design feature that could well be tweaked. I understand that it is described as a way of increasing volume to that of a concert/tenor, but I think it adds a different tonal quality that competes with the soundboard/body.

By way of comparison, I have been playing my solid wood instruments while moving the uke up along my shoulders (a slight variation on Jimi Hendricks antics on stage) and stopping once when the sound hole is opposite my ear and once more when the 7th fret is opposite my ear. Perhaps not unexpectedly, I hear a full and mellow tone when I hover the sound hole over my ear and pretty much the same thing when I move along the fretboad except that the tone begins to sound a bit farther away from my ear. I might add that playing my wife's Dolphin produces the same effect that I get with my solid wood ukes.

When I do this with my ODU, the tone changes pretty dramatically from fairly full and luke warm to "clinky" as I move the uke to a point where my ear is opposite the middle of the fretboard. Moving back and forth really emphasizes the change in tonal quality and the neck seems to produce a fair amount of increased volume, much of which is the "clinky" sound that I realize I have not adequately described. Suffice it to say that I much prefer the sound from the soundboard area.

So my take on this design is that it probably does provide more volume than would be available without the hollow neck, but at a cost of a brittle resonance that does an overall disservice to the potential tone of the instrument.

ukemunga
05-27-2013, 12:36 PM
I wonder what difference it might make to stuff a piece of foam rubber up the neck?

nobodyspecial
05-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Is the 85B tuner worth upgrading over the 2B?

bborzell
05-27-2013, 03:55 PM
I wonder what difference it might make to stuff a piece of foam rubber up the neck?

I have that very mod on my list of next things to play around with.

Ukejungle
05-28-2013, 10:51 AM

Low G reds by chance? I like the Low G reds on my tenor and ordered a set for the ODU. Just wondering.
Trey

Ukejungle
05-28-2013, 11:00 AM
I had my ODU in the pool this weekend, it floats, even with the 85B's. Actually cleaned up well from all the dust of last weekends cam pout. Now I wonder about how strings fair getting wet. Living Waters on it now - want to try the Aquila Red Low G's on it. Anyone have the Red Low G's on their ODU?

Might start a new thread about "Strings Experiences with your ODU".

Trey

Mattyukaholic
06-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Been thinking lots about getting one of these but I just keep thinking - is it worth it? If I go camping I just take my mahalo. It cost me 15 and I don't mind if it gets wrecked. I put aquillas on it recently and it sounds actually pretty good! Seriously. I don't know if I just got lucky with that mahalo..it stays in tune, it sounds fine and is quite pretty. It'll come with me on my next trip!

bnolsen
06-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Been thinking lots about getting one of these but I just keep thinking - is it worth it? If I go camping I just take my mahalo. It cost me 15 and I don't mind if it gets wrecked. I put aquillas on it recently and it sounds actually pretty good! Seriously. I don't know if I just got lucky with that mahalo..it stays in tune, it sounds fine and is quite pretty. It'll come with me on my next trip!

buy american? the mahalo really is fine for camping. backpacking, etc might need more.

Paulrick
06-01-2013, 04:06 PM
I just bought one yesterday for the durability if nothing else. (They have lefty bridges now btw!) I'm not expecting k brand tone from it, but I would like it to be comparable to say, a maccaferri. I know there's a YouTube video floating around with the 2 but I don't always trust the compressed audio. Anyone thats played the 2 have any thoughts on the ODU?

PereBourik
06-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I just bought one yesterday for the durability if nothing else. (They have lefty bridges now btw!) I'm not expecting k brand tone from it, but I would like it to be comparable to say, a maccaferri. I know there's a YouTube video floating around with the 2 but I don't always trust the compressed audio. Anyone thats played the 2 have any thoughts on the ODU?

Heard a video.
Bought a Flea.
'Nuff said.

dhoenisch
06-05-2013, 05:26 PM
After reading a lot of your reviews on this thread, I decided to buy one, but they were sold out. They added me to a list, and just last week, they started shipping out Round 2 of these ukes,so I purchased two of them (one for me, one for my mom).

Apparently, they have been reading this thread. When I saw that USPS dropped it off today, I was thinking that the first thing I wanted to do is add fret markers since some of you mentioned they were nearly invisible. Well, to my surprise, they painted them in already. Another thing you all mentioned was no markings on it at all. Well, I look into the sound hole, and it is labeled.

So, I'm kind of glad I waited for round 2 instead of buying blind (sorry guys, but I waited for all of your reviews first), even though the changes were purely cosmetic, though the fret markers were a must for me.

Oh, and it did have those weird Aquila strings, but I didn't even bother tuning it up. The very first thing I did when I took it out of the box was to throw a set of Martin M600s on it.

I think this uke is a keeper. I already have a Flamingo, and while this uke is heavier than the Flamingo, and doesn't sound quite as good, it still sounds good enough for me and I love the fact that I don't actually have to take care of it. I mean, I can leave it in my car and not worry one bit about it. I always get stopped by freight trains on my drive home, so now I won't get so aggravated by it. I can just grab my uke and enjoy the wait.

Here are the couple of shots of this uke with the dot markers and label.

Dan

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/dhoenisch/DSCN0204_zps8a2e9fd3.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/dhoenisch/DSCN0203_zpsb7eaf28f.jpg

06-06-2013, 04:54 AM
Hm, I actually liked the idea that they had no fret markers what so ever. The style of the whole uke is pure black, so having the white fret markers is not so "stylish" I feel. But obviously useful, no doubt. Maybe one can ask them while ordering if they could not put them in.

bnolsen
06-06-2013, 05:47 AM
Hm, I actually liked the idea that they had no fret markers what so ever. The style of the whole uke is pure black, so having the white fret markers is not so "stylish" I feel. But obviously useful, no doubt. Maybe one can ask them while ordering if they could not put them in.

Hopefully they glow in the dark so you can find the ODU when you feel like strumming in the middle of the night during a new moon.

nobodyspecial
06-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Hopefully they glow in the dark so you can find the ODU when you feel like strumming in the middle of the night during a new moon.

A little dab of glow-in-the-dark paint?

bnolsen
06-19-2013, 05:48 AM
Just got around to restringing mine with Worth CH's (63inch, good for 3 sets). The martin m600 'c' was bothering me, it seemed pretty dull compared to the other 3 strings. The strings are still settling in at the moment but I think they're an improvement. The higher tension allows playing with a very soft touch, it doesn't take much to fret a string. Intonation is still fine up the neck. The strings telt a touch sticky (or squeaky) at first. I'll need to let this settle more but I think the high tension is an improvement especially with how high the frets are.

As for the string snap/slap sound, I think its a side effect of the hollow neck echo chamber that a solid neck would dampen naturally. Now I can move those martin strings over to my lanikai pineapple.

Captain Simian
06-19-2013, 06:02 AM
I just did a trade for an OU and so far I like it a lot especially the snappiness from the hollow neck. I tend to play a bit percussively so this works for me. May have to get a second one to string up with a low G.

ukemunga
06-19-2013, 06:46 AM
I just did a trade for an OU and so far I like it a lot especially the snappiness from the hollow neck. I tend to play a bit percussively so this works for me. May have to get a second one to string up with a low G.

Yeah, but my Les Paul has more volume than your ODU! ;)

Kem
06-19-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm still waiting for my replacement tuners. The uke is completely unplayable without them because I'm physically incapable of getting it into tune.

TJ Uke
06-19-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm still waiting for my replacement tuners. The uke is completely unplayable without them because I'm physically incapable of getting it into tune.

Basically my only reservation towards these.

No geared option from them.

ukemunga
06-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Basically my only reservation towards these.

No geared option from them.

The Grover 2Bs work just fine, I wouldn't let that stop you.

Kem
06-20-2013, 02:15 AM

Oddly, mine arrived in the mail yesterday, a few hours after I posted they weren't here yet. I'll try them soon.

Mattyukaholic
06-20-2013, 02:42 AM
I finally decided to get one and got in at the last batch. Sadly mine has been stuck at 'Electronic shipment information received' stage for over a week. Do you think it's just USPS being rubbish?

bnolsen
06-20-2013, 03:06 AM
I finally decided to get one and got in at the last batch. Sadly mine has been stuck at 'Electronic shipment information received' stage for over a week. Do you think it's just USPS being rubbish?

This is typical. the problem is there's lag time between when they electronically generate your shipping label and when they actually get your ODU into the hands of the shipper.

bnolsen
06-20-2013, 03:08 AM

the grovers on my fluke work slightly better. Probably because of the wood compared with the plastic on the ODU.

Mattyukaholic
06-20-2013, 04:10 AM
This is typical. the problem is there's lag time between when they electronically generate your shipping label and when they actually get your ODU into the hands of the shipper.

I guess I need to be patient. It's a bit frustrating though when they say it ships in two days and it's possibly still sat there ten days later.

SailingUke
06-20-2013, 04:38 AM

I just believe the folks at ODU are really sloppy with their business.
I fully understand the production delays, but some of their business practices have kept me from being a fully satisfied customer.

Bob-in-Alberta
06-20-2013, 05:19 AM
I suspect many of the complainers have unrealistic expectations

I think that the last line of the previous post pretty well says it all. I like my $100 uke. Not as much as my $800 uke, but I like it.

bnolsen
07-01-2013, 09:18 AM
I notice they have a "camo" version of the ODU now for 135USD:https://plasticukulele.s3.amazonaws.com/boxes/images/000/000/022/original/Outdoor_Ukulele_Camo_Tree_JPG.jpg?1372285364

OldePhart
07-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Hmmm. That just seems like an excellent way to lose a ukulele...

Captain Simian
07-01-2013, 11:08 AM
I now own 2 of these and I really like them a lot. The 2nd one came with the stock strings and tuners. I didn't mind the strings but the tuners were a nightmare. Installed some Grovers, strung it up with some Worth brown low G, and I am now a happy camper.

bnolsen
07-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Hmmm. That just seems like an excellent way to lose a ukulele...

This would be a good uke for a "Red Dawn" type situation. I mean the real movie, not the recent trash.

ukemunga
07-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Reminds me of a pit viper for some reason. Not that it's not cool. I really like the look.

UkeKiddinMe
07-01-2013, 01:15 PM
The camo version needs an orange headstock so that it does not get accidentally shot.

Winning idea. :D

bazmaz
07-02-2013, 01:16 AM
Late to this party.

I played one the other week. Really wasn't very impressed with the sound. Was tough though!

Mattyukaholic
07-02-2013, 02:07 AM
Got mine yesterday. The sound isn't the best. But then it is an indestructible $100 ukulele and for this reason I'm glad I bought it. It'll come with me on my next camping trip or visit to the beach.

bassballz
07-02-2013, 07:30 AM
I've been toying with mine for a couple months now. I wasn't enamored with the original Aquila BioNylon strings (and honestly, perhaps didn't give them enough time to settle in), so changed them out to m600's. These brought out more chime and sustain but felt a little "floppy" under my fingers and increased the "slapping" aginst the fretboard while strumming. (sorry if my newbie terminology isn't correct). I recently changed the strings again to Aurora's sopranos, which I've read are similar to the Aquila Nylguts. Now that they've settled in for a week I'm much happier. It still has that percussive feel to it, though not as pronounced, and sounds pretty darn good. Using the Aurora black strings, this thing is completely blacked out... about as stealthy as you can get. :cool:

On another note, I let a friend play this uke and was amazed at the difference in sound while sitting in front. It projects much louder and clearer than it sounds while holding it. I'm kinda digging it !

bnolsen
07-02-2013, 10:37 AM
I've been toying with mine for a couple months now. I wasn't enamored with the original Aquila BioNylon strings (and honestly, perhaps didn't give them enough time to settle in), so changed them out to m600's. These brought out more chime and sustain but felt a little "floppy" under my fingers and increased the "slapping" aginst the fretboard while strumming. (sorry if my newbie terminology isn't correct). I recently changed the strings again to Aurora's sopranos, which I've read are similar to the Aquila Nylguts. Now that they've settled in for a week I'm much happier. It still has that percussive feel to it, though not as pronounced, and sounds pretty darn good. Using the Aurora black strings, this thing is completely blacked out... about as stealthy as you can get. :cool:

Per oldpharte's suggestion I swapped my m600s for some worth CH's (63" so three sets of strings, bonus!). These are pretty high tension and allow play with a light touch on the frets. I really dig these strings.

Captain Simian
07-02-2013, 11:11 AM
I have Worth Brown's on both of mine, one reentrant and one low G. I think a heavier string like Aquila's would make it sound a bit harsher than it already is.

Bob-in-Alberta
07-02-2013, 11:48 AM
I put Worth Brown's on mine the other day as well and definitely noticed a big improvement.

bassballz
07-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Hmmmm (as I scratch my head)...Worth Browns may be my next visit.
Experimentation is the spice of life!

Tsani
07-03-2013, 04:47 AM
I have an ODU on loan from haolejohn that I am taking on my trip to the backwaters of Belize. I don't mind the sound quality, although everything that has been said about the difference in sound for the player vs. the audience is totally true. I have the following observations.

1. haolejohn's ODU has the original polycarbonate pegs. I like this because they cannot rust and are therefore truer to the original purpose of the instrument. However, the need to decrease the diameter of the peg after it comes through the headstock. I think a lot of the problem with tuning these things is not the fact that it has friction pegs, but that the pegs are so fat that a very small amount of turning produces a large change in tone. If the pegs were "necked down" after they come through the headstock you could tune them more accurately.
2. I don't like the fact that they did not paint the the fret markers. Without some paint on the fret markers they are completely useless. You can't see them.
3. As was mentioned with the camo version, there is a serious danger of losing this uke if you drop it on the side of the trail at night. I have not tested it yet to see if it floats. Does anybody know if it does? If it were dropped overboard and went to the bottom of a murky creek you would have a hard time finding it (unless if floats). I would like to see some more color choices. If this were my uke I would put stickers on it so that I could find it. I also agree that the black color scheme is going to make it absorb heat.
4. One cure for the "plastic" sound is to strum or pick further back from the neck. Like a lot of other players, I tend to strum around the 12th fret. If you strum over the sound hole the sound improves.

I am looking forward to putting the ODU through some tests in Belize.

Captain Simian
07-03-2013, 05:21 AM
That's one of the things I also like about the OU, it's essentially a blank canvas. I'm thinking about adding a pinstripe on mine, maybe a racing stripe like an old Fender Mustang.

SailingUke
07-03-2013, 05:33 AM
I used a silver ink permanent marker to color in the fret markers.
I also added a micro dot to the fifth fret on the side so I can easily reference the fifth fret.

Kem
07-03-2013, 07:47 AM
I used a silver ink permanent marker to color in the fret markers.

Yes, I did exactly the same thing. It works really well. I'm just lucky I happened to have a silver marker handy.

I find it's hard to get used to the sound; I did try different strings, but the plastic sort of "thwap" noise never goes away. The sound is also very dull, without much resonance. However, the intonation seems fine thus far, which is a bonus.

Captain Simian
07-03-2013, 08:29 AM
I didn't expect it to sound like a traditional uke and some folks did. I approached it as an instrument that was tuned like a uke but wasn't one which I think helped. I really like the hollow clickyness of it, it's like have a little percussion backing you up.

That being said, a buddy of mine gave me a crazy idea the other night. I'm going to look for a nice solid piece of mahogany and replace the top on one. My repair guy thinks he can remove the top safely and install a new one. I'm dumb enough to try this.

SailingUke
07-03-2013, 08:57 AM
I didn't expect it to sound like a traditional uke and some folks did. I approached it as an instrument that was tuned like a uke but wasn't one which I think helped. I really like the hollow clickyness of it, it's like have a little percussion backing you up.

That being said, a buddy of mine gave me a crazy idea the other night. I'm going to look for a nice solid piece of mahogany and replace the top on one. My repair guy thinks he can remove the top safely and install a new one. I'm dumb enough to try this.

My question is why ?
The beauty of the ODU is that it is all plastic.
Why don't you go and buy an Applause, Ohana, or Flea with a plastic back and wood top?

Captain Simian
07-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Because like I said, I'm dumb enough to try it and my repair guy is crazy enough to see if he can do it. I like to tinker with stuff.

kvehe
07-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Tsani - regarding whether or not it floats - somewhere either in this thread or in the original Outdoor Uke thread, I'm pretty sure someone said that yes, it does float. I haven't tried it myself, though (maybe I will tonight!).

bnolsen
07-03-2013, 10:12 AM
After that can you see if it blends too? :drool:

UkeKiddinMe
07-03-2013, 01:05 PM

I think it's a super interesting idea.

drcmusic7
07-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Hi Guys,

I have my outdoor uke!

Here's a video clip http://youtu.be/JYSsrR44YrM

Kindly,
Danny

UkeKiddinMe
07-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Hi Guys,

I have my outdoor uke!

Kindly,
Danny

Great video.

drcmusic7
07-07-2013, 04:47 AM
Thanks, Frank!

Kindly,
Danny

mketom
07-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Shirley I am not the only one who has done this, but after reading about people's reactions to the forward sound projection on their OU's AND finding that I could not accurately place the decal I got inside, I added a side port to my OU with a 1.25 in. hole saw. The PC cuts very cleanly and with a little sanding looks "stock". Then I stuck the decal on a chopstick, stuck it in through the side port and could look though the top hole to see how it lined up inside.

Sounds great! Pretty much equal the main sound hole in volume, not less as you might expect.

Captain Simian
07-24-2013, 08:33 AM
I think you're the only one that has thought of that. I'm now considering this...

And don't call me Shirley!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA

callmemario
01-13-2014, 09:15 AM
A beautiful video and great sounding instrument indeed! Thank you Danny!.
Since you have been playing the Outdoor Uke for some time now, maybe you will want to share how you still appreciate your OU! :-)
(Like the link you sent me :-) Cheers! Mario

Hi Guys,

I have my outdoor uke!

Kindly,
Danny

gitarzan
01-14-2014, 04:56 AM
I asked them if they would ship me an unassembled natural / transluscent model. They wouldn't.

I am a clown in the Shrine. I want to take one and load it with some 12v chaser lights and maybe a flash unit or something that will emit a puff of smoke.

Possibly will have to cut a hole in the back to insert effects. Another consideration is to strip a cheap 12v table amp, and jam it inside with a speaker on the back.

I will be hacking one soon.

callmemario
01-14-2014, 06:51 AM
Yeah....I wonder WHAT they would have to lose in selling you an unassembled model?... Hmmmm...You would be paying the same price for it. Maybe they don't want you to make a model/mold of each pieces...OR they just weren't crazy about the idea of turning their uke into a Christmas tree boom box! ;-)

I asked them if they would ship me an unassembled natural / transluscent model. They wouldn't.

I am a clown in the Shrine. I want to take one and load it with some 12v chaser lights and maybe a flash unit or something that will emit a puff of smoke.

Possibly will have to cut a hole in the back to insert effects. Another consideration is to strip a cheap 12v table amp, and jam it inside with a speaker on the back.

I will be hacking one soon.

gitarzan
01-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Yeah....I wonder WHAT they would have to lose in selling you an unassembled model?... Hmmmm...You would be paying the same price for it. Maybe they don't want you to make a model/mold of each pieces...OR they just weren't crazy about the idea of turning their uke into a Christmas tree boom box! ;-)

BUT IT'S FOR THE KIDS! HEY HEY HEY!!!

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5019026999348319&w=150&h=184&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

callmemario
01-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Hmmm...OK, now I get it! :-)

BUT IT'S FOR THE KIDS! HEY HEY HEY!!!

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5019026999348319&w=150&h=184&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

bborzell
01-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Given the nature of the effort to affix a new wood top to an unassembled ODU, it would seem that removing the top on an assembled model would be a walk in the park.

gitarzan
01-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Given the nature of the effort to affix a new wood top to an unassembled ODU, it would seem that removing the top on an assembled model would be a walk in the park.

I have a black one. #35 as a matter of fact. I have not examined it yet. Actually I have not seen it since about a week after I got it. It's just not that enjoyable. I'll have to take a look.

But a CLEAR ONE I could have fun with.