Uke sentimentality-saying good-bye

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
In the past few days, I've sold three of my four ukes. Today, while I was packaging up the third one to ship off to her new home, I started to cry. At first, I felt a bit silly to be crying, but I quickly pushed those feeling aside. I wrote my very first song with this ukulele; I wrote a song with this ukulele when my beloved dog, Halo, passed away this past Jan.; I did my first "Seasons" entry with this ukulele (yeah, Xanadu, by Olivia Newton-John!), and the list goes on and on. This ukulele, quite simply, made me feel like...a ukulele player.

So, I don't know if what I am saying (writing) here makes sense to anyone else out there...but, all that I can say is that I am really grateful that this particular uke came into my life when she did. And, yep, before I sent her off today to her new owner, I thanked her for helping push me on -- to grow in my skills in both playing uke and even singing -- she gave me a lot of wonderful memories, and I am confident she will do the same for her new person. :)

Rock (uke!) on!

I own a Rickenbaker bass that I bought in 1968. It was a necessity for a recording session because our bass player fell off the face of the earth. I used it for three days and then put it away. I have thought about selling it many times over the past 45 years, I never seem to follow through. While I can appreciate your sentimentality about special ukes, I applaud your resolve to make a decision and move on.

Oh, the Xanadu 'uke! I am sorry for your loss. You have been through a lot with her. On the bright side, you still have the song you wrote, and we all still have the Xanadu video. You're still a ukulele player. So yes, obviously you're not the only one who is sentimental like that! :eek:

Aloha HPF,
I am always sad to see my ukes go, even years later I still think about them....you never forget and may have regrets in selling them...If you ever feel you want your uke back, just email me
I too am only the temporary custodian for now..I this uke will last long than me....let me know what your new uke is....and I hope your wrist gets better....good luck and happy strummings

Aloha HPF,
I am always sad to see my ukes go, even years later I still think about them....you never forget and may have regrets in selling them...If you ever feel you want your uke back, just email me
I too am only the temporary custodian for now..I this uke will last long than me....let me know what your new uke is....and I hope your wrist gets better....good luck and happy strummings

Hi, Stan! Thanks so much for understanding -- i appreciate it! I am really excited and happy for you to have the uke -- I know you will enjoy her so much! I do have a new one on the way -- Thursday should be a new uke day for me! I will surprise you with what uke I decided to get! :)

Oh, the Xanadu 'uke! I am sorry for your loss. You have been through a lot with her. On the bright side, you still have the song you wrote, and we all still have the Xanadu video. You're still a ukulele player. So yes, obviously you're not the only one who is sentimental like that! :eek:

Thanks, Lily, for your support! My memories of this uke are great -- hope to make some new great ones with my new uke on the way! :)

I own a Rickenbaker bass that I bought in 1968. It was a necessity for a recording session because our bass player fell off the face of the earth. I used it for three days and then put it away. I have thought about selling it many times over the past 45 years, I never seem to follow through. While I can appreciate your sentimentality about special ukes, I applaud your resolve to make a decision and move on.

Thanks so much for your thoughts -- I am grateful! Yes, moving on is important and necessary -- glad that I will have lots of great memories of the uke-- I will always treasure them! :)

I know exactly how you feel. When I sold my first semi-serious uke I had some sadness when I packed it up. My wife even said she would miss it because it was very pretty. I think in the uke business (the business that most of us are in, playing for fun and experimenting) there is more turnover than in most other instruments. I attribute that to the fact that it is hard, unless you live in Hawaii, to walk into a music store and pull 20 ukes off the wall and try each one until you find the sound and feel that you want. So you have to buy and trade and ship and open at lot of boxes secretly at your work (wait off track). I have gotten used to that concept now (and thankfully so has my wife). My first Islander uke was my ultimate until I picked up my KoAloha. Then I didn't play that one as much. Then I wanted a concert and bought two and now am thinking of trading the one I actually bought new in favor of the used one that I bought off here. Your sound tastes change and mature as you play but it doesn't make it any easier to say good bye.
Good post my friend. May the next box you open be "the one" (for a while).
GPC

I'm having a dilemma at the moment. I too need to sell 3 of my Ukes, they never get played! but it is weird how you can get attached to instruments. Just can't seem to pluck up the courage to let them go.

I know it was a hard decision to part with them....for whatever reasons and hope they were yours alone... may your next uke soften the blow of losing your former ones....Happy Strummings

This is why I just don't sell instruments.
Ok, so I've sold a few. I sold my first good bass (a Rickenbacker 4003) when I was in college, and I've kicked myself about that one ever since. I've sold a few other basses that I haven't regretted QUITE as much (but still a little bit). I've never sold a uke, but there are a couple I wouldn't miss too much. But I won't sell the good ones or the first one.

I don't plan to sell any ukes. It would be too hard. I think that's why I don't own that many, compared to some here. The "buy it for life" mentality, I guess.

Hi, Stan! Thanks so much for understanding -- i appreciate it! I am really excited and happy for you to have the uke -- I know you will enjoy her so much! I do have a new one on the way -- Thursday should be a new uke day for me! I will surprise you with what uke I decided to get! :)

Wait... Stan bought the Xanadu 'Uke? That is Awesome!!! At least it is staying in the family.

Top Bottom