Questions about Performing

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Today was a first for me. When I play publicly I usually I usually take a friend or two with me so we can take turns singing and taking lead breaks. Today was different. I was asked to play at a rest home and went by myself today. I played for a hour without repeating a song but ran into a problem. I really don't know how to arrange a "set". Is there a standard format to start with? Fast song,? slow song,? I found I did not have a real good grasp on how to keep the crowd involved. I did okay and didn't have a problem with the songs or playing, it was just a problem with what order should I play them in. Any help would be appreciated.

It's really trial and error; no hard and fast rules in creating a setlist. I try to mix fast and slow songs, but do it in a manner that it feels natural. So for example, start out with a fast song, followed by another fast one without a break in between. After that, say a couple words (and I mean a couple; keep it short), which will allow you to put in a medium tempo song and then a slow one. Bring it back up with a fast one, etc.. That's extremely generalized, but I think you get the idea.

A lot of it can also depend on how receptive the audience is as well. You may find with a quieter audience (like at a rest home), a lot of slower tunes would be fine, whereas a bar would yield a quicker set of tunes.

Always start strong and end strong. Keep the tempos and styles mixed up

The best advice I've ever received on this subject is "Watch".
Watch the crowd. All of them. If they're responding to a song, then ease in that direction. If they're not, try something else.

However, I've found that a good rule of thumb is to try 4 or 5 song sets, strung together.

When I HAVE to make up a set (which is becoming more and more rare, thankfully, as I learn and memorize more and more songs, so I CAN go off the cuff... a goal I've been working on for a LONG time now!), I usually do it either like this:

1. Something familiar and/or expected. "Over The Rainbow" or somethin'.
2. Something UNEXPECTED. Anything from "Put A Ring On It" to "Piano Man" to "Bohemian Rhapsody"
3. Your favorite song to play. Something you can nail to the wall.
4. Another unexpected one, but think "Pleasant Surprise"... like, "Wow. I never thought about that song for the ukulele. That's cool!"
and then, if you get an encore, the Big 'Un.
A singalong like "Lean On Me" or "Imagine" (Get them to do the "You hooo-oo-oo-ooo"s). Something they know and will sing to.
Then back to 1.
It's easier to remember 4 sets than 20 songs.

Of course, there's something to be said for making four out of five completely unexpected and then hit them with a classic like "Halleluia" or, again, "Imagine" or "Ain't No Sunshine"...

But one of the skills that you should (and it looks like you've got your head wrapped around this as a concept) try to cultivate is the ability to read the crowd for what they're looking for.
It takes a LONG time to learn, but you get a little better at it every time you play.

The best advice I've ever received on this subject is "Watch".
Watch the crowd. All of them. If they're responding to a song, then ease in that direction. If they're not, try something else.

However, I've found that a good rule of thumb is to try 4 or 5 song sets, strung together.

When I HAVE to make up a set (which is becoming more and more rare, thankfully, as I learn and memorize more and more songs, so I CAN go off the cuff... a goal I've been working on for a LONG time now!), I usually do it either like this:

1. Something familiar and/or expected. "Over The Rainbow" or somethin'.
2. Something UNEXPECTED. Anything from "Put A Ring On It" to "Piano Man" to "Bohemian Rhapsody"
3. Your favorite song to play. Something you can nail to the wall.
4. Another unexpected one, but think "Pleasant Surprise"... like, "Wow. I never thought about that song for the ukulele. That's cool!"
and then, if you get an encore, the Big 'Un.
A singalong like "Lean On Me" or "Imagine" (Get them to do the "You hooo-oo-oo-ooo"s). Something they know and will sing to.
Then back to 1.
It's easier to remember 4 sets than 20 songs.

Of course, there's something to be said for making four out of five completely unexpected and then hit them with a classic like "Halleluia" or, again, "Imagine" or "Ain't No Sunshine"...

But one of the skills that you should (and it looks like you've got your head wrapped around this as a concept) try to cultivate is the ability to read the crowd for what they're looking for.
It takes a LONG time to learn, but you get a little better at it every time you play.

Any tips on singing while playing simultaneously? I've been practicing certain songs and find that I really need to know either the lyrics or the uke so well that I don't have to think about it before I can add the other in.

Any tips on singing while playing simultaneously? I've been practicing certain songs and find that I really need to know either the lyrics or the uke so well that I don't have to think about it before I can add the other in.

Short answer: Practice slowly, and build up the tempo as the muscle memory sets in.

Long answer: If I'm learning a new tune, I try to get a copy of it so I can play it in the car ad nauseum and sing with it until I'm blue in the face. That helps ingrain the vocal line to the point that when I'm working on the uke part, I don't have to focus on two things at once. Plus, you've listened to it enough that you're subconsciously already going to have the strumming patterns and feel of the song down to a point.

Do it once. Then do it again.
Then again. And again. Start slow and do it again.
And again.
Oh, and when you're sick of playing the song and never want to hear it ever again in your life?
Play it again.

And then do it again.

Just keep playing. And playing. And playing.

This summer, I'll be playing 5 nights a week, three hour straight-through sets. I have a thing where, if someone requests a song I don't do, I'll give it a go, 'cuz that can be a WHOLE lot of fun!, but most days, I'm playing my ukulele for another 2 or 3 hours during the day, working on new songs, writing stuff, banging through progressions of different songs...

The best way to get better is to keep doing it.

If, as Un Singe Mauvais said, I'm not familiar with the song, I'll listen to it, playing along, ad nauseum, until I get it down enough that I can fake it.

(And faking it is a HUGE part of performing! Believe that!)

I f you're playing in a rest home, then include plenty songs the audience can join in with.

Hey Dean, aside from what others have said, the best advice I could give you from experience is to engage with the audience as much as you can. Make it as intimate as possible, like a fireside chat. Share stuff of yourself. The more interactive you make it in between songs the more ready and attentive they'll be for the next one...share some history of the song or something personal about what it means to you, keep it lighthearted and 'self deprecating' works well too....really is a very good thing to do cause then their really ready for it....not every time of course, but regularly. That kind of modus operandi is perfect for nursing homes. Also, as Geoff said, stuff they know is great to keep that interactive vibe going, encourage singalongs and call and response where you can.

With a bigger crowd and a more anonymous venue like a club or a pub it's a little different but similar principle applies.

As far as structuring the setlist goes, I agree with what the others have said...keep it dynamic, lots of light and shade, hit em hard with some of your best stuff right from the get go but keep some up your sleeve, and the old principle of starting and finishing strong is so true.

An old rule for jazzers is not to play two songs in a row in the same key. I think if you can manage this, it helps, especially if you're on your own, as you probably play the same chords in the same positions, and it might start to sound a bit like a medley.

Thanks UncleElvis for that "set list." That will really come in handy! I mostly play for children, but branching out soon and that's helpful :)

Hey Dean, aside from what others have said, the best advice I could give you from experience is to engage with the audience as much as you can. Make it as intimate as possible, like a fireside chat.

:agree: - this pretty much defines the difference between a true entertainer and a mere musician or singer.

John

Thanks for all the help. I can relate to what oyu are saying, especially about reading the audience. I have a place I play where something like: hey good lookin or folsom prison blues is a hit and these went over like lead balloons. They enjoyed mostly classics like mr sandman, sunnyside of the street, side by side.... I appreciate the suggestions of song tempo and selection. I want to quit "winging it" and be able to do a bigger venue than nursing homes. I think a pub would be the ultimate in testing your performance abilities, it might get rough if you are terrible! Ha! Out of curiousity what "new (er) songs do you find younger audiences like? People 30-40? I would like to know what I need to learn to be more diverse. Thanks again, Dean

If you do these songs, here are some 'connect with the audience' tips:

Back in the Saddle Again (Gene Autry) I do a what's the name of this cowboy's horse quiz -
The Lone Ranger's horse... Silver; and Tonto's horse?... Scout
Roy Roger's horse... Trigger; and Dale Evans' horse?... Buttermilk
Hopalong Cassidy's horse... Topper
Gene Autry's horse... Champion

Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White:
I'm asthmatic so the Bridge presents a problem, esp going from the last line into the last verse - without taking a breath!! So I mention that this is a difficult song for asthmatics... and sometimes I take a puff from my inhaler, you know to work the 'sympathy' angle :)

any song from the teens or earlier (1890's to early 1920's):
I mention that this is a song 'Their" parents enjoyed. The older ones are so used to being the oldest, it's a kick for them to consider that others older than they are (their parents) enjoyed the song(s).

After "Five foot two", or a bit later in the set, I do 'Ramblin' Rose' as the 'NAME' of the 'Gal' (has anybody seen my gal?) :)

In general, if I have the dates of the older songs (20's, 30's, etc.) I try to bring up what might have been happening around the time the song was becoming popular.

Also, I introduce "Take me Out to the Ballgame" as one of the most well-known 'waltzes' in America, since it is 3/4 time. If there are other 3/4 time songs that are not known as waltzes, I introduce them as a waltz... again just for the shock effect :)

I'm sure you can come up with other 'interesting' comments and data to help introduce your next song/selection.

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
Uncle Rod, really liked to see the way you put the humor in there. I especially liked the waltz bit. Now I need to find when some of these songs were written. Still wondering what "new" songs might be good for younger audiences. The only song I know is count on me by Bruno Mars. (Don't listen to the radio)

Loved Elvis' advice... I just did that for myself. Gonna make things a ton easier as I go forward.

For newer songs, I've been playing Call Me Maybe, Forget You, and Crazy (Gnarles Barkely). I also have Amanda Palmer's Ukulele Anthem at the ready, and arrangements of a ton of 80s songs, which the younger folks still seem to like, in a retro way, I guess.

Yeah, unfortunately, I'm a bit of an anachronism in that I play the 'real' Oldies... and love it!

Most of my audiences are older than I am so my music fits right in with them.

When I get asked to do a Birthday Party, or Wedding, or some such event, I almost apologetically
have to let them know that I'll be doing Older Popular music (30's, 40's, 50's ). So I'm definitely NOT the one to give
advice re: more contemporary selections. Sorry. We each have our niches :)

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom