Martin C1k finish...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
I've had a Martin C1k for almost 2 weeks now, it sounds great! The issue is that after the first 2 days...2 hours of practice and a 45 min. concert, the sweat from my arm resting on the body raised the grain in the wood. the finish is very thin to non-existent. The dealer gave me some Dunlop 65 but I don't think it needs cleaned, it needs to be sealed or oiled or??? Pictures really don't show anything it just feels rough.

Last edited:
According to Martin's site....its finished with satin lacquer which should be plenty resistant to a little sweat. Maybe what you're feeling is the flattening agent they used in the lacquer to make it satiny.
Might be worth a call to Martin to ask about it. If its a bad finish then I'd return it for a new one

seems like Dunlop 65 is more for cleaning a hard finish, not for natural wood.

Finishes are NOT moisture proof, especially thin ones. The only way I know to give real sweat protection is to start with CPES epoxy and then use catalyzed finishes from there.

Then there is also the issue of the composition of your sweat. Some people have very acidic perspiration that will eat through finishes and kill strings amazingly fast.

The best you can probably do is to immediately wipe off the uke when you're done playing.

As for what has happened...probably nothing short of an overspray or refinish will help.

Top Bottom