Solid Mahogany Uke on Plane

advancedbasic

Reaction score
I have a Kala KA-SMHC that I keep in a hard case with the basic humidifier it shipped with. Aside from maybe re-soaking the humidifier in water before travel, is there anything special I should keep in mind when bringing my uke on a plane? I'm talking flights less than 6 hours in length if that matters.

Are particular types of wood more susceptible to the low humidity in plane cabins? Is a basic humidifier enough as long as the flights aren't too long?

Thanks!

One thing to keep in mind: Your uke will be fine on the plane. Have a great trip!

Alright. I was just wondering because I've seen some posts with people who try to keep their cases at a super specific humidity level and it seems like a bit much. That or wood is more fragile than I thought...

Thanks though!

Extended periods of being outside the 40%-60% RH or rapid temp changes is what the ukes don't like. Hopefully you won't be on the plane that long!

I agree, just take your uke on the plane, watch for people stuffing bags around it. I always take a high end uke in gig bag, lots of airtime, no problems. don't forget to insure your uke on homeowners

For what its worth, my uke has traveled with me in the cockpit many places and has been to the nil-humidity arctic numerous times. I haven't noticed any changes to it. I think the only threat to your instrument is the usual clumsiness of the air traveling public. :p

My solid mahogany uke has lifted me 3 planes higher in enlightenment!

Taken loads of ukes on planes - no issue at all. Humidity issues are things that happen over prolonged periods, not the length of a flight.

Top Bottom