PDA

View Full Version : Solid Mahogany Uke on Plane

advancedbasic
05-07-2013, 10:05 PM
I have a Kala KA-SMHC that I keep in a hard case with the basic humidifier it shipped with. Aside from maybe re-soaking the humidifier in water before travel, is there anything special I should keep in mind when bringing my uke on a plane? I'm talking flights less than 6 hours in length if that matters.

Are particular types of wood more susceptible to the low humidity in plane cabins? Is a basic humidifier enough as long as the flights aren't too long?

Thanks!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-08-2013, 07:37 PM
One thing to keep in mind: Your uke will be fine on the plane. Have a great trip!

advancedbasic
05-08-2013, 08:49 PM
One thing to keep in mind: Your uke will be fine on the plane. Have a great trip!

Alright. I was just wondering because I've seen some posts with people who try to keep their cases at a super specific humidity level and it seems like a bit much. That or wood is more fragile than I thought...

Thanks though!

vanflynn
05-09-2013, 04:19 AM
Extended periods of being outside the 40%-60% RH or rapid temp changes is what the ukes don't like. Hopefully you won't be on the plane that long!

1300cc
05-09-2013, 03:21 PM
make sure the seat belts are on all the time :)

perep
05-09-2013, 05:59 PM
I agree, just take your uke on the plane, watch for people stuffing bags around it. I always take a high end uke in gig bag, lots of airtime, no problems. don't forget to insure your uke on homeowners

AirCanuck
05-12-2013, 07:28 AM
For what its worth, my uke has traveled with me in the cockpit many places and has been to the nil-humidity arctic numerous times. I haven't noticed any changes to it. I think the only threat to your instrument is the usual clumsiness of the air traveling public. :p

Nickie
05-14-2013, 05:20 PM
My solid mahogany uke has lifted me 3 planes higher in enlightenment!

bazmaz
05-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Taken loads of ukes on planes - no issue at all. Humidity issues are things that happen over prolonged periods, not the length of a flight.

Johnny GDS
05-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Just don't check it! As long as the case is a decent hardshell and provides an acceptable seal, the humidifier will do its job.