? Long neck sopranos and concerts- Is tone changed by the long neck?

Do "super" soprano and concert ukes sound like traditional sopranso and concert ukes?

• Super soprano and super concert ukes sound like traditional soprano and concert ukes.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • super soprano and super concert ukes do not sound like traditional soprano and concert ukes.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • super soprano and super concert ukes sound midway between body size used and scale length used.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GASguy

Reaction score
Do you think getting a long neck or "super" soprano or "super" concert appreciably changes the tone as compared to a traditional soprano or traditional concert?

I know the longer scale increases string tension and I have read that the longer scale increases volume, but in the end does a "super" soprano or "super" concert sound like a traditional soprano or a traditional concert or does it sound mid way between the body size and the scale length used?

I chose "midway" though it's really only the closest answer of those listed - it's not really accurate. "Somewhere between" might be more accurate... The concert-scale sopranos I have don't sound exactly like a soprano, but they don't sound much like a concert, either. I would say that they are very close to soprano but with a little more sustain and perhaps just a touch more bottom. It's pretty subtle, though.

John

A "fuller" sound though, I think, than the shorter scale. Richer and rounder like Corinthian leather rather than cowhide. :D

I think my KoAloha longneck soprano sounds less plinky than a regular soprano, especially the higher notes, of which I have more of, having 14 frets to the body.

Top Bottom