Say Bye-Bye to the Southcoast Round Wound Linear Strings...

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My favorite strings has been discontinued...A new set is supposed to take it's place in Mid May. I hope it's really good as I don't like the Flat Wound due to thinner diameter and more tension. I trust Dirk will make a better set!!

If not, I only have one more set of RW left. :(

http://www.southcoastukes.com/linear.htm

I'm sorry to hear this, my friend.

On the bright side, Southcoast still sells plenty of high G sets. :p;)

Wow, I thought the flat wounds when I tried them were really nice. I'd never felt a flatwound that was so smooth, really. Anyway, I'm now using the Light Gauge no wounds and like them very much.
But you're right, Dirk's gonna come up with something excellent.

OMG, please tell me it's not so. I finially found the perfect string set for me in the round wounds. I trust Dirk but dang, am gonna miss the ML-Rw's.

I'm having a heck of a time finding a good wound string set for my baritones, sure don't want to start looking again for my tenors.

OMG, please tell me it's not so. I finially found the perfect string set for me in the round wounds. I trust Dirk but dang, am gonna miss the ML-Rw's.

I'm having a heck of a time finding a good wound string set for my baritones, sure don't want to start looking again for my tenors.

Hey Pat..how you doing?

if the round wounds so popular why is he getting rid of them,have you guys tried to find out?
I have a set of the round wound G and C string but have not found the uke for them yet..

Hey Pat..how you doing?

if the round wounds so popular why is he getting rid of them,have you guys tried to find out?
I have a set of the round wound G and C string but have not found the uke for them yet..

I got an email from Dirk

"Couldn’t agree more on that. We’ve never let dollars stand in our way! I just happen to like these a lot. They are the linear strings we’ll put on our own instruments, and after all the work we’ve put in on those, we’d only want the best strings.

It’ polished to the point that it’s practically as quiet under hand as the flat wounds, but the strings are tie-ons. The sound and tension falls pretty much in between the present round and flat sets. The string to string tension is about as good as it gets and it sounds like velvet.

The only reason we’re keeping the flat wounds is that they’ll still be less money, but if a lot of folks start switching, they may go as well."

WOW...Dirk really believes in this new set so I gotta trust they'll be as good. He's always tinkering with strings

I got an email from Dirk

"Couldn’t agree more on that. We’ve never let dollars stand in our way! I just happen to like these a lot. They are the linear strings we’ll put on our own instruments, and after all the work we’ve put in on those, we’d only want the best strings.

It’ polished to the point that it’s practically as quiet under hand as the flat wounds, but the strings are tie-ons. The sound and tension falls pretty much in between the present round and flat sets. The string to string tension is about as good as it gets and it sounds like velvet.

The only reason we’re keeping the flat wounds is that they’ll still be less money, but if a lot of folks start switching, they may go as well."

WOW...Dirk really believes in this new set so I gotta trust they'll be as good. He's always tinkering with strings

Thanks Daniel..i got these while in Calif..

they say medium gauge linear set on the package
but each string is wraped and says ML-RW..which do I have G and C string round wound..

his new ones flat wound? which i like

Doing well thanks.

For myself, I didn't like the flatwounds near as much as the Roundwound. They didn't have the umm punch the roundwonds do 'er did; a much quieter string than the RW's.

Doing well thanks.

For myself, I didn't like the flatwounds near as much as the Roundwound. They didn't have the umm punch the roundwonds do 'er did; a much quieter string than the RW's.

Dirk said the FW are mellower so I agree with the punch of the RW. I put the FW on my MBU and don't like them at all...just waiting for the new set before I take them off.

Doing well thanks.

Pat nice to hear you doing well..

so I guess Dirk switching to flat wounds? I am saving my RWs with a LowG for something later..I like my strings I am using now..

Dirk said the FW are mellower so I agree with the punch of the RW. I put the FW on my MBU and don't like them at all...just waiting for the new set before I take them off.

Wow Daniel..I know Chuck likes the southcoast strings(not sure if they are FWs or RWs)..I think he has them on his personal MB..
I really like the Oasis string..waiting for the tenor ones..but I might use a different LowG

Last edited:
Wow Daniel..I know Chuck likes the southcoast strings..I think he has them on his personal MB..
I really like the Oasis string..waiting for the tenor ones..but I might use a different LowG

Chuck might be as I don't know. Dirk said he sent Chuck a bunch of strings to try but didn't send any FW so if he likes the low G, it has to be the RW, unless someone gave Chuck some FW. Chuck told me to let him know about the new set when I get them.

Chuck might be as I don't know. Dirk said he sent Chuck a bunch of strings to try but didn't send any FW so if he likes the low G, it has to be the RW, unless someone gave Chuck some FW. Chuck told me to let him know about the new set when I get them.

So is Dirk's new set FW then?
Chuck must use the RW then,I heard he has them on his personal uke..but I could be wrong..what else is new..haha

I will watch out for them to add to my string collection..Lol

I use FW and RW Southcoast on my tenors. I prefer the FWs as i like the feel and no squeaks. The RWs are low squeak like the Fremont polished wound. I have SC FWs on my Pono 6 string, SC RW on my Willie K 5 string (Dirk included a high g string for it), and just ordered an 8 string set for my Nahenahe Tenor waiting for me in Maui. I love Southcoast Strings for all my Linear tuned tenors.
Dirk, don't deviate from your line up. Variety is good and those of us who buy your strings don't really complain about cost, I don't. If you want quaility, it does come at a premium price, most of us know this...................Bo..............

I use FW and RW Southcoast on my tenors. I prefer the FWs as i like the feel and no squeaks. The RWs are low squeak like the Fremont polished wound. I have SC FWs on my Pono 6 string, SC RW on my Willie K 5 string (Dirk included a high g string for it), and just ordered an 8 string set for my Nahenahe Tenor waiting for me in Maui. I love Southcoast Strings for all my Linear tuned tenors.
Dirk, don't deviate from your line up. Variety is good and those of us who buy your strings don't really complain about cost, I don't. If you want quaility, it does come at a premium price, most of us know this...................Bo..............

Wow bruddah Bo..i know what brand of string you like..i better try the ones I have soon..would you use the RWs on a softer top uke or stiffer top?

Wow bruddah Bo..i know what brand of string you like..i better try the ones I have soon..would you use the RWs on a softer top uke or stiffer top?

At present, FWs on my Wixom Mahog top, Rosewood back and sides, my Mele Double Puka Curly Koa, my 6 string Koa Pono, etc. Seems to work on anykine wood and or combos. Even my laminate improved tremendously. 4, 5, 6, or 8 strings all benefited IMO.
Probably bought 10 sets or more and will continue to do so. Dirk is a standup guy with great customer service................Bo........

I believe that there is no one on the planet that spends as much time, energy, and research into strings for the ukulele as Dirk. I think of him as a Doctor of Stringology. He is constantly trying to find better and more options for the sound and playability of the ukulele. If he thinks that the new strings will be better than the RW's, I trust him. Improving on an already excellent product is great news.

I'm looking forward to someone's review of the new strings after they have tried them.

Hmmm...

After trying 4 different sets of strings, these are the ones I settled on. It will be interesting to see what the new formulation brings.

I really like the Southcoast mediums on my Mainland mahogany concert but to be honest, I can't make head nor tail of their new designations. And it seems the changes aren't over yet...

Top Bottom