Uke sounds bad

Gonad Man

Reaction score
Hello
i just started playing the uke over the last 2 weeks,
i've been playing somwhere over the rainbow, and five years time noah and the whale... and i can play the cords and strum pattern ok (maby not full speed), but the sound it makes is soo bad compared to other recordings i've heard. i don't no if its the way im playing or the uke i have. its a mahalo.
anyway i've just been reading everything i can..but if anyone has any idea's it would be cool.
cheers

try to see if it is tuned correctly. record yourself playing it and then watch it and see what is wrong. also just look at other videos to see if your playing it right. mahalo is a good beginner brand so i dont see why it sounds bad.

try changing the strings too.. some ukes just sound better with better strings. thats my opinion. haha.. if you dont have a tuner.. you can check it online... go to www.get-tuned.com.. they have an online uke tuner.. i used that when i first started.. :nana: :music: :nana:

I would agree that it isn't the uke. It is probably out of tune. I would suggest getting a clip on tuner.

its a mahalo.

thats probably why it sounds bad.

Don't get me wrong, but for £10 its great to learn on, they do sound ok, and if you decide that the uke isnt for you you've not wasted too much money. My first uke was a blue mahalo, and I loved it, hell i still do.

but they are just cheap 'toys' dont expect too much from it. And as Faricelli said, get a clip on tuner, make sure you DO have it tuned correctly,

My first uke was a "toy" uke... but the sound was actually not bad. Just make sure it's in tune and that the friction tuners (i'm assuming that's what it has) are tight enough to keep it in tune while you play the song.

Also, make sure you are stumming correctly. I'm not talking about strum patterns, I'm talking about how your fingers strum over the strings as you go up and down. If your digging into the strings to much, it will sound awful IMO

Hope that helps :)

I picked up my first uke last month and it wasn't a toy, but yet it didn't sound as good as it should be. I had a clip on tuner. They were two things I did that give it that sound. In every ukulele there is a sweet spot that it has that will make the ukulele sing. Also struming down with your nail helps a lot too. hope this helps

Top Bottom