Eye Candy: Black Walnut and English Walnut wood sets

Doc_J

Reaction score
Here are two walnut wood sets I'm looking at selecting. Wow are they nice. I'm leaning towards the English walnut. But the figure on the Black walnut is so unusual. Since one hardly sees the backs when playing, the side wood is what one looks at most of the time.

What do you think?

English Walnut:
englishwalnut_zpsa8552d8f.jpg

Black Walnut:
blackwalnut1_zps4e6a369b.jpg

Last edited:
I like the English walnut.

Ooh, black walnut. Guess that leaves me odd man out on this thread?:)

Since you broke the ice, I'd go with the black walnut as well. I love the more dramatic contrast in the grains plus the added dimension of the "waves" of grain. Oh beautiful!! ;) I think the black walnut looks warmer and more interesting.

I like the English. What will the top be?

Haven't decided on the top, either Sitka or Engelmann spruce. (I've got a really nice cedar top already. )

The finish makes a big difference in the final look.

Here are some before and after pics from the luthier on the same wood types, but different sets.

English Walnut
attachment.php

attachment.php

Black Walnut
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
That looks like a different piece of black walnut than the earlier photos. I like that black walnut a lot.
In the second set of photos.

Last edited:
This is like when your wife/girlfriend says, Which of these two outfits should I wear? That one. What's the matter with this one?

Either set will be beautiful once it's finished. I like the shading of the English walnut, but we see a lot of vertical sapwood in koa ukes. So I'd vote for the unusual look of the black walnut.

Another vote for the black walnut, (for almost the exact reasons Ginny specified).

Gonna look sweet!

I think the side wood of the English Walnut is distinctive.

I have a black walnut octave mandolin, but I would not have kicked it back had it arrived looking like the English walnut shown in the photo. Truth is, IMHO, finish options will make more difference in final presentation than the currently viewable subtle differences in nekkid wood.

You can't go wrong with either choice.

Here is my octave mando:
null.jpg

Last edited:
English, not even close for me on this choice...I love the English set (though the back IS amazing on the Black Walnut set)

Top Bottom