Tuning question

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
When using a clip on tuner, do you take the pitch immediately after striking the string, or toward the middle or end of the decay ?

I ask purely because all 3 of my clip ons (Snark SN-2 and SN-10 and Kala POS) and the tuner on my Nexus 7 display a variation at all these points on all my Ukes. I tend to take the reading toward the end of the decay, but what do y'all do ?

From what I understand immediately or as close as you can get after hitting the string..i am no expert but that is what I am told..

hearing the pitch at that point might be the best..

Most digital tuners have a very sharp attack response that doesn't even show up on a tuner with a physical needle (not that there are many of those around any more). I usually tune to the "sustain" part that happens immediately after that sharp attack.

Trying to describe the ADSR envelope of a uke using just text is a little difficult, but it is something like this:
ADSSSSSRRRRRR (sharp attack, sharp decay, medium sustain and release).

I try to tune to the sustain part. Also, the attack and decay parts will be much less noticeable if you don't pick really strongly while tuning - that can eliminate a lot of frustration. You can almost eliminate the spike on the tuner if you pick softly while tuning.

John

Most digital tuners have a very sharp attack response that doesn't even show up on a tuner with a physical needle (not that there are many of those around any more). I usually tune to the "sustain" part that happens immediately after that sharp attack.
Yeah John, I tend to use them that way too

I tune to the sustain. The attack can set the other strings to rattlin'. Tuning to the sustain gives me the best confidence that I'm not going flat. I hate going flat.

Go for the sustain. As the string vibrates it's pitch will decay, so the needle will probably go flat a few moments after you pluck.

As OldePhart said, if you try plucking gently, or with the soft part of your finger/thumb, you should be able minimize the sharpness of the initial pluck.

I too wait for the initial note to decay and wait till the sustain and the pitch will be at the end....also, on the C and E string will be much louder because of the thicker strings, but
on the G and A strings softer on some strings and ukes...just Pluck the string a little harder to hear the pitch...good luck.....

I too wait for the initial note to decay and wait till the sustain and the pitch will be at the end....also, on the C and E string will be much louder because of the thicker strings, but
on the G and A strings softer on some strings and ukes...just Pluck the string a little harder to hear the pitch...good luck.....

Hey Stan I been doing it wrong the whole time..now I see how to do it..listen for I mean
but don't you want the pitch as close as possible after you Pluck the string?

Top Bottom