can anyone help me read tabs?

sorry i tried posting an explanation but i froze. cbn anyone else answer this please?

** Okay I edited this post to make a more logical explanation and hopefully I also made it clearer.

I hope it helps some people who are new to tabs. If anyone can elaborate or explain more clearly please do! It will help.

So tabs are pretty straight forward. Tabs are setup just like the ukulele fretboard. Each line represents one of the ukulele strings:
the top line being the A string
2nd line being the E string
3rd line from top is the C string
bottom line is the G string

Code:
A |----------2--5-4---0--3-2--------------------2-2-2-3--------]
E |-------3-------------------3--5--3-----------2-2-2-3--------]
C |--3/4------------------------------4p2--4----2-2-2-4--------]
G |---------------------------------------------2-2-2-2--------]

Okay the numbers represent which fret you will be pressing on which string. so if you saw a A|---1---], the number 1 means you play the first fret on the A string. The numbers are of course read from left to right indicating which order to play each note. Some tabs try to space out the numbers to help give a feel for timing, but it isn't really exact.

Going on in the above tab, you see on the E string a '2' so you would press the E string on the 2nd fret (which makes an F# note) and pluck that string with your right hand.

Numbers that line up in a straight line like in the example are played at the same time. If all 4 have a number on it you will strum that line.

You will see in the above example, "3/4". This represents picking 3rd fret then sliding to 4th fret. When you perform a slide the first numbered fret is picked then the left hand keeps that fret pressed down while moving to the next numbered fret. This creates a smooth note sliding sound with out picking the string again with the right hand.

Code:
A |-------------]
E |---3h5-------]
C |-------------]
G |-------------]
In other tabs you will see an "h" this means to 'hammer on' so if you see '1h3' then you hold the first fret then tap your left hand onto the 3rd fret to make the note ring out on that next note. So basically you are producing that second tone with your fretting hand without picking the string again. You will also see hammer ons notated as an arch between the two notes on either the top or bottom. Watch some ukulele videos to figure this one out if you don't know quite how to do this.

In the first example you see a 'p' which means pull off. Pull offs are basically the opposite of hammer ons. So when you see "4p2" then it means that you hold the 4th fret and pluck the string, then pull off the 4th fret TO the 2nd fret. Again, you are producing the sound with your left or fretting hand without picking the string. This might be hard to get across just through the description here. Aldrine has some stuff online that shows how to do this.

Code:
A |--------------x---]
E |--------------x---]
C |--x--x--2-----x---]
G |--------------x---]
You will also see 'x' in tabs sometimes. this means you are muting the string. Muting can be done with either hand. You're basically just strumming or plucking the string while putting your finger or hand lightly on the string so that it won't ring out the note. This produces a dull, toneless sound effect with your strings.

Tabs are a great way to learn new music quickly, but the only drawback is that tabs cannot convey the timing of the music (unless it has actual music notation that accompanies the tab- but even then many people can't read notes). You have to listen to the music and then study the tabs to get it just right.

I hope this make sense. :D Be sure to check on the links in the other posts for a really in-depth look at tabs.

Last edited:
thankks..davooomac....i'll just keep practicing it..i'll probably get the hang of it....:]

Top Bottom