PDA

View Full Version : To bead or not to bead ... my ?

JT of PA
05-09-2013, 12:19 PM

Markr1
05-09-2013, 12:49 PM
I have 4 or 5 sets I'm going to use on some of my ukes. They are on my Kamaka lili'u now and I like them. I believe the ones for guitar are different sizing then for the uke.

Kayak Jim
05-09-2013, 02:51 PM
I have the BridgeBoneBeads on my Mainland. Like the look and the ease of string installation, not that its that difficult. Get them from Southcoast and save a few bucks. I'd post a link but seem to be having trouble accessing their site at the moment.

Kanaka916
05-09-2013, 03:37 PM
I have a set of the Bone Beads, makes changing strings so much easier. I tried using them on my 6 string, doesn't work well on double courses (string space is too close) or wounds.

bborzell
05-09-2013, 09:10 PM
I put a set of Rosette Bridge Bone Beads on my MP tenor. While I like them, the method of retention needs a bit of a tweak for the A string of most sets and both the A and E on the Living Water strings I put on tonight. Those strings are thin enough to pull through the beads unless you add one more run through the very back of the bead loop much like the last pass through when tying off on the back of the bridge. It's not a big deal to do for two strings and the G and C stay put put with no issue with the recommended tie method.

I like them. Gonna order another set for my Pono tenor.

ukemunga
05-10-2013, 03:00 AM
I just went to Joann Fabrics and bought a whole package of little glass beads for a couple of bucks. They have many, many shapes, colors and sizes. Got enough to string dozens of ukes. Like them! I have gold tuners:

gitarzan
05-10-2013, 09:11 AM
My wife went to Joanns, bought some beads to make jewelry and I raided her stash.

http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gitarzan/Music/cumbush/img_0214.jpg

ukemunga
05-10-2013, 12:03 PM
My wife went to Joanns, bought some beads to make jewelry and I raided her stash.

http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gitarzan/Music/cumbush/img_0214.jpg

That uke has a LOT of testosterone!!!

Pondoro
05-11-2013, 02:29 AM
I also bought a bag of 4mm beads at a hobby shop, enough to last the rest of my life I expect.

All the ukes I have built I sting right through the bridge into the interior of the uke. Takes stress off of the glue and sounds good.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w163/pondoro_bucket/String-ThroughBridge.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/pondoro_bucket/media/String-ThroughBridge.jpg.html)

UKEonomics
05-11-2013, 06:42 AM
I dug through some of my wife's craft stuff and found some plastic beads. Put 'em on and within a week a couple of the beads had snapped in two. So uh...don't get the plastic ones.

How is everyone stringing with these? Are you just going through the hole and then knotting several times? Or is it being wrapped around the bead? Just want to make sure that my experience wasn't operator error.

ichadwick
05-11-2013, 07:06 AM
You want glass or metal beads because they transmit any energy through their material, not plastic (many common plastics absorb more than they transmit). The beads can brighten a sound if the design of the bridge means the strings touch the bead before they touch the wood. However, they can also buzz, too.

Pondoro
05-11-2013, 07:13 AM
I use a stopper knot, have never had any trouble. A Stevedore's Knot works well.

My beads are plastic, but now I am considering changing them out for glass. I doubt I will hear the difference but I will always wonder until I change them. :)

UKEonomics
05-11-2013, 10:08 AM
I use a stopper knot, have never had any trouble. A Stevedore's Knot works well.

My beads are plastic, but now I am considering changing them out for glass. I doubt I will hear the difference but I will always wonder until I change them. :)

At least I wasn't the only one. :)

OldePhart
05-11-2013, 10:19 AM
I bought a carbon fiber rod a while back, was going to use it to make some flat "beads" for use inside the uke. One thing I overlooked - carbon fiber glass rod just laughs at the little #65 bit and pin vice I was going to use to drill the holes. I'm hoping that I can find a small enough diamond tip Dremel bit.

CTurner
05-11-2013, 10:39 AM
I've used Bridge Bone Beads and small plastic/glass beads for different situations. For inside uke tie offs, I like the Bridge Bones a lot. I started using them when I had a big problem removing a knotted string from an inside-body hole: took me a long time to fish out the string knot which had become embedded inside the hole. Couldn't push the string through cause it got jammed. Had to very carefully drill through the string and hole to remove the thing. :uhoh:

I have one uke with knot tie off on the surface of the bridge that I used small beads for. These beads are so small that they hide well inside the small hidden ledge that holds the knot.

I think both work and the Bridge Bones are a bit quicker to tie off.