Looking for information on a Gibson ukulele

Sasha

Reaction score
Hi there. I was hoping I could receive some information from you guys and gals.

My father has had this ukulele sitting around for sometime and asked me to sell it for him but I'm having trouble finding information on how to discern what model it is.

First, I've searched inside the body and the exterior for a serial but no luck. But from my research I gather its probably an earlier model since it has a gold "The Gibson" script on the head of the fretboard. I've also found other models similar in appearance that seem to suggest 1920s~.

Anyway, I've attatched a few pictures. Any help in finding a model number or value would be appreciated. Or even if you could name a book that might list values and pictures of old Ukuleles would be fine.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• Uke.jpg
    Uke.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Body.jpg
    Body.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 33
Welcome to UU...You have a Gibson (The Gibson) Style 1 soprano ukulele. They were introduced in 1927. In or around 1928, the fingerboard was extended to the soundhole. Yours does not so it appears to be a 1927 or thereabouts vintage. My information is taken from George "Gruhn's Guide To Vintage Guitars".

Aloha Sasha,
Welcome to the UU...no binding suggest it's like a style O...maybe and I dont think it's 1920's either...I may be wrong...looks like a 1930's though.....
I would pay about 750- 800 for it.... hope it helps....
here are some newer models and prices....Good Luck
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-1948...-and-added-books-/160984228768#ht_1520wt_1399
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/180U-1463.htm

Certainly not to be disrespectful with Mr. Stan but Gibson didn't have a style 0. Their all mahogany soprano with no bindings, etc was their style 1. Their more adorned models were styles 2 and 3.

Certainly not to be disrespectful with Mr. Stan but Gibson didn't have a style 0. Their all mahogany soprano with no bindings, etc was their style 1. Their more adorned models were styles 2 and 3.

Aloha Tim, thanks for the save...I even posted these two links with the style 1....what was I thinking.....Martin I guess..
You are right....the one my friend had must have been a style 2 then with the white binding on the top only.....got mixed up...getting old and forgetful ....LOL

Last edited:
Thanks for the expert knowledge, WhenDogsSing and mm Stan! I really do appreciate the help.

Top Bottom