New Pono's at HMS

hawaii 50

Reaction score
I spent the day at the Ukulele Site(aka HMS) with MGM and Corey(he is a great player) and don't let Mike fool you,he can play too..haha

I saw the New baritone and tenor Pono's..they were going pretty fast..mostly on the website..

there were one each of different types of wood..but the Macassar Ebony body and Cedar or Spruce top ones really nice...the Macassar/Cedar ones were selling the fastest..there was a tenor with Mahogany body and a Spruce top that was really nice..they all have slotted headstocks..

I don't know how many they have but the nicest ones are there now..and the new Oahu case looks like it is built stronger..the handle is way stronger than before..and the top of the case a little flater..but still very nice..

they were pretty busy today..but Mike and Corey were very helpful with everyone that had questions on the phone or at the shop..

plus it was a beautiful day in Haleiwa..
I can spend the whole day there..watching the happy follks from all over the World leave with their new ukes..the 3 guys from Argentina where fun and excited at the same time..they got ukes and were smiling..

Last edited:
Hi Jim

you are so right..HMS one of the happier places around..people come in on their vacation all happy and relaxed and some guys picking up a uke and playing great music..hard to beat..

Once I saw the Macassar Ebony I just couldn't help myself:drool: I need to take meds for this UAS disease...

Once I saw the Macassar Ebony I just couldn't help myself:drool: I need to take meds for this UAS disease...

sounds like you ordered one? haha
I liked the cutaway Baritone with Macassar Ebony body and a Nice Cedar top with Koa binding wow....and a slotted headstock.. the build quality hard to beat..

sounds like you ordered one? haha
I liked the cutaway Baritone with Macassar Ebony body and a Nice Cedar top with Koa binding wow....and a slotted headstock.. the build quality hard to beat..

Yup, couldn't resist. Gonna be ramen noodles for the rest of the month!

Aloha and G'day from Australia,

I cannot speak too highly of HMS.

Recently, after my son permanently 'borrowed' my only uke I looked at the HMS online store after reading excellent feedback about them. End result is that I am waiting to receive a Pono mahogany Pro Classic slothead tenor (and a Kala spruce/lacewood upgrade for my son).

The Pono is imho the most beautiful hog uke I have seen, and from reviews I reckon one of the best sounding too.

HMS's service is simply astounding - very friendly and helpful... and I have no doubt the ukes will be professionally setup too. Genetically I think I am susceptible to UAS (as my small guitar collection will attest to) and won't hesitate to buy from HMS again.

+1 HMS

Aloha and G'day from Australia,

I cannot speak too highly of HMS.

Recently, after my son permanently 'borrowed' my only uke I looked at the HMS online store after reading excellent feedback about them. End result is that I am waiting to receive a Pono mahogany Pro Classic slothead tenor (and a Kala spruce/lacewood upgrade for my son).

The Pono is imho the most beautiful hog uke I have seen, and from reviews I reckon one of the best sounding too.

HMS's service is simply astounding - very friendly and helpful... and I have no doubt the ukes will be professionally setup too. Genetically I think I am susceptible to UAS (as my small guitar collection will attest to) and won't hesitate to buy from HMS again.

+1 HMS

I saw a PC at HMS with Mahogany back and sides and a Spruce top.it was very nice..if that was the one you are getting you are not going to be disappointed..i did not see the all Mahogany Pono but it looks good on the website too..

congrats on the new Pono..

Last edited:
Thanks :) I'm getting the all-mahogany MHTSH. All the Pono PCs are good lookers imho.

(The second uke I ordered is a Kala spruce-top. I consider it insurance against having my Pono "borrowed".)

Has anyone received their mailed order pono cedar/ebony uke? I ordered on 10/5 and no tracking numbers yet so far. Not my first order from HMS but this is taking longer than earlier ... :confused:

Has anyone received their mailed order pono cedar/ebony uke? I ordered on 10/5 and no tracking numbers yet so far. Not my first order from HMS but this is taking longer than earlier ... :confused:

Sorry about that. We had bunches of backorders to setup and send out when the Pono shipment arrived so that really put us behind. I set up four of them yesterday and will go at it again in the morning.
Email me -andrew@theukulelesite.com, otherwise you should see shipment notification within the day.
These are gonna be selling out sooner than I expected. They are so nice!
Thanks for your patience.
catching a nap for a bit but I'll check for messages in 5 or 6 hours.

My Pono Cedar/Ebony Tenor was delivered on Monday May 20, and it's awesome! It took about 5 days for my order to be completed, but hey HMS are busy, and I requested the Pono passive pickup and Worth Brown strings. It was sent FedEx 2-day shipping at no extra charge, and I got a free upgrade to the Oasis humidifier, so mahalos to everyone at HMS for their awesome order fulfillment.

I have to say Andrew did not exaggerate when he wrote the ad copy for this uke. The build quality is impeccable, and the instrument I received is even prettier than the one pictured on the HMS web site. Mine has a flawless Cedar top, and the Macassar Ebony has a swirling light and dark pattern that's very striking, plus the Koa binding ties it all together very nicely.

Sound wise, it has a bright, resonant tone, almost like a flamenco guitar, with lots of clarity and note separation. The action's a bit high, but that just makes it sound better, especially since the intonation seems good everywhere.

Also, the radius fretboard is slight but noticeable. You can see the curve of the fret wires, and it feels a little different to me. I'll probably like it when I get used to it. The slot headstock seems a little strange too, but there's no denying it's pretty!

I put a few quick photos in the Uke p*** thread.

Last edited:
My Pono Cedar/Ebony Tenor was delivered on Monday May 20, and it's awesome! It took about 5 days for my order to be completed, but hey HMS are busy, and I requested the Pono passive pickup and Worth Brown strings. It was sent FedEx 2-day shipping at no extra charge, and I got a free upgrade to the Oasis humidifier, so mahalos to everyone at HMS for their awesome order fulfillment.

I have to say Andrew did not exaggerate when he wrote the ad copy for this uke. The build quality is impeccable, and the instrument I received is even prettier than the one pictured on the HMS web site. Mine has a flawless Cedar top, and the Macassar Ebony has a swirling light and dark pattern that's very striking, plus the Koa binding ties it all together very nicely.

Sound wise, it has a bright, resonant tone, almost like a flamenco guitar, with lots of clarity and note separation. The action's a bit high, but that just makes it sound better, especially since the intonation seems good everywhere.

Also, the radius fretboard is slight but noticeable. You can see the curve of the fret wires, and it feels a little different to me. I'll probably like it when I get used to it. The slot headstock seems a little strange too, but there's no denying it's pretty!

I put a few quick photos in the Uke p*** thread.

Ho, Bruddah Steedy!

WOWEE!!! Your Pono Macassar Ebony/Cedar tenor Pro Classic looks awesome!!! :drool: CONGRATS on your new Pono uke! :cheers:

It took me awhile to find the "Uke p***" Thread ... so here's the link:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...ulele-p***-(post-your-uke-pics-here-)/page141

Hey Len! Don't tell those guys our secrets??? We got many now;) Gonna lock you down a set of the goods soon my friend...

Hey Steedy! Very cool, that one was the most wild of the bunch. I love that kind of unique figuring.

There have been times when I candy coated descriptions perhaps but I'm trying to stay as real as possible on the website these days. That one genuinely impresses and we are gonna sell out so fast. Just got word that there is no more of that wood for now too so that's it. That wood is rare.

Try using the truss rod sometime. There is a little play in that for action and depending on how you play, a touch tighter (turn toward the treble) might be the ticket for ultimate feel if you want it lower and don't play super hard. Email or call me for advice on that if you want. And thanks dude! woohoo, love that model.

My Pono cedar/ebony arrived on Monday too. Set up is great, action is just right. Perfect intonation and the overall built is fantastic. Very resonant uke with clear treble and great sustain. But this uke is heavy! 882 grams. Lookwise, the back is really unusual for Macassar Ebony especially compared to my custom Spruce/Macassar ebony concert. Reminds me more of the Brazillian Rosewood back on my buddy's custom guitar than ebony and nearly perfectly bookmatched. An eye candy for a great sounding uke.
DSC00089.jpgDSC00091.jpgDSC00120.jpgDSC00123.jpg

...But this uke is heavy! 882 grams.

That's not really surprising, ebony is one of the most dense, heavy, woods out there. I was at a local wood crafter's outlet just last week and they had some nice small pieces of various woods that I was examining for a project I'm considering taking on after UWC. Anyway, I picked up several pieces then grabbed one that was dark and so heavy I thought it was stone. I thought, must be ebony and sure enough when I turned it over that's what the label said.

John

Top Bottom