Uke Minutes 33 - How to Tune Your Ukulele

Hey guys! One of the more basic Uke Minutes that we will ever do, but essential to good playing, nevertheless:

Uke Minutes 33 - How to Tune Your Ukulele

We did a version of this over at IAH (now defunct), so we figured we'd better revamp it for the newer, hipper, awesomer, UU gang.

Hope everyone is safe and well this winter season! Questions? Comments? Critiques? Suggestions? Post them below!

good video, one thing i would like to mention are beats. if you play two notes that are close to intune, but not, you can hear the notes conflicting with each other (it will sound like a wah wah). The more the notes are out of tune with each the greater number of beats you will here (and they will be faster) . so when the notes are closer you will here fewer and they will sound slower. when these beats are not audible thats when you know the uke is intune.

hopefully i didnt confuse anyone...

i love these. its stinks when you dont have a tuner, but watching this video, it helps me train my ear to keep the tuning down.

mahalo

now that I think about it, my class never learned how to tune our ukuleles when I was taking lessons at Roy Sakuma's. Our instructor tuned it for us before every lesson...

now that I think about it, my class never learned how to tune our ukuleles when I was taking lessons at Roy Sakuma's. Our instructor tuned it for us before every lesson...

understandable, when(if?) you pay for lessons, and its in a large group, it can take beginners a very long time to tune. It is a skill to have though, and he should of spent at least one lesson going over it. oh well, each instructor has there own style.

I went to lessons for two whole years I never heard anything, not even once, about tuning. All I thought was " I guess I'll have to buy one of the tuners" The only students I ever heard tuning their own ukuleles were Roy's students. And usually, the instructors were former students at Roy Sakuma's

This video is in the song lesson portion of the website as well as the uke minutes portion, is this intentional?

Wow, good eye, liquid_wind! Thanks for catching that, I don't know why it was posted in so many categories. I just fixed it, so everything should be all good. Thanks again!

Last edited:
i been trrying to tune with my ear for some time... im not sure how when i think the g string is actually on tune.... im on like B or something.. but hopefully this will improve :D

Slipping A string

Hi guys,
I've just tuned my first Uke using the video...and the A string won't hold the note. Sooo, it's a Hawaii, Leolani...too cheap to hold tuning? Anything I can do?...maybe down-tune the rest of the strings to jive with the A string? (and not play w. any one else...) hmmm. Any Ideas?
Thanks,
Chugger

Oops! the A string just snapped! I need help! Back to the music store! Chugger

Top Bottom