How not to do it?

Michael N.

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K5LeSE1QOE

Sorry but it has to be said: You REALLY SHOULD NOT post videos of such poor practices on internet video sites.
Apart from a Bandsaw I don't use power tools but even I'm damn certain that there's a much safer way to cut a scarf joint using a table saw. That appears to be pretty dangerous. Sometimes you just have to think who might be watching, some unfortunate young and inexperienced soul might just decide to copy.
You can be as clever as you want but that's just plain dumb in my book.

hahahah- oh dear.....

Also, that headstock scarf section should be glued under the neck portion, not over it like show on his plans.

Last edited:
sion nglonr

That's frightening. The odds are good that such methods will do harm eventually.

Safety first. I wonder if there's the will to make a safety perma-thread here.

Peace.

What is the issue? The risk that he goes too far and hits the clamp with the blade? His hands seem reasonably far from the blade.

I'm not arguing, I'm really curious. I use a sled and a bandsaw myself.

What is the issue? The risk that he goes too far and hits the clamp with the blade? His hands seem reasonably far from the blade.

I'm not arguing, I'm really curious. I use a sled and a bandsaw myself.

The carbide tips are prone to breakoff when they hit something like hard metal turning into shrapnel. There is also a small possibility that the setup he has there will rotate and pull a finger into the blade if it snags the clamp.

It's the sort of setup that makes people who do this sort of thing (woodworkers) shake there head and move on before the bleeding starts. He seems not to have spent anytime seeing how these various steps have been done by other builders. 3 hanger bolts in the neck plus a mortise and tenon vs a RTA through bolt. ????

Watched him cut the scarf on the table saw. Have you ever had a loose piece, like he had after cut off, flip up and land on the blade?

There are so many things that could go wrong with cutting wood like this, it just makes me cringe to watch. This young man many be smart in some things, but when it comes to table saws, he's stupid. He could use some education when it comes to power tools.

Inventor - yes! Practitioner - only just. That saw set-up really gave me the hebbie jeebies.

I'm on the same page with most of you on the table saw "technique". I don't get it, we've seen this guy fix a small workpiece to scrap to keep his fingers away from a bandsaw blade - he clearly gives some thought to safety, and yet.... I've checked out a very cool box joint jig indexer thingy he came up with for table saw - he clearly spends a lot of time with the tool, and yet.... Yikes! I don't get it.

I'd fire anyone in my shop if I saw them doing that. That is one of the most unsafe table saw tricks I've ever seen.

I have a set of dedicated jigs for clamping neck and pegheads that use the track slots in the saw table. My hands never get anywhere near the blade, and there's no danger of kickback.

This guy is on his way to the hospital; he just doesn't know it yet.

I'd fire anyone in my shop if I saw them doing that. That is one of the most unsafe table saw tricks I've ever seen.

I have a set of dedicated jigs for clamping neck and pegheads that use the track slots in the saw table. My hands never get anywhere near the blade, and there's no danger of kickback.

This guy is on his way to the hospital; he just doesn't know it yet.

Yeah Rick,I agree with you..looks unsafe

I am taking the Hanalima build class here and I am no expert but Mike Chock has a table saw all set up to cut the scarf joint you clamp the neck in and just move the base and it cuts.. your fingers never get close to the blade..you almost have to try to cut yourself on purpose with the blades of the saw..this guy trying to cut off his fingers..wow

The other thing is that he's inviting a major kick back...there is no safe way to back a part out of a table saw cut using push sticks.

And then that deal with getting the steel C clamp ( OK, G cramp, you Brits! ) within about 1/2" of the blade...whew...

Top Bottom