PDA

View Full Version : strung in low G, do you play songs tabbed in high G as they are?

darylcrisp
05-10-2013, 08:46 AM
hope that makes sense. i prefer to "hear" the low G tuning, if i have a book tabbed for high G, do i simply play them as is and use my low G where the high G is indicated-or are there specific songs tabbed in low G?

thanks
d

itsme
05-10-2013, 08:55 AM
There are plenty of tabs out there written for low G.

As for your question, it depends. Some tunes tabbed for high G sound fine with a low G, others don't. If the low G sounds awkward, you can usually play a high G on the third fret of the E string.

DaveVisi
05-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Strummed chords sound best if you're reading High G and playing Low G. It's really only the fingerstyle stuff that can trip you up if the fourth string is part of the melody.

darylcrisp
05-10-2013, 09:47 AM
thanks folks

fingerstyle is straight into what i want and where i'm headed.
i guess it makes sense to have two(or more) ukes, one in high g and one in low g.

thanks
d

itsme
05-10-2013, 09:52 AM
It's really only the fingerstyle stuff that can trip you up if the fourth string is part of the melody.
Good point and I just assumed the OP meant fingerstyle because they said "tabbed." It is technically incorrect to refer to lyric/chord sheets as "tabs", although a lot of people do.

stevepetergal
05-10-2013, 12:44 PM
I do this sometimes. The problem only comes when playing a melody. If the fourth string is used in the tab, you have to substitute.

AirCanuck
05-12-2013, 02:25 AM
A very good question, I appreciate you asking along with the responses. If I could tag on, is there anywhere online where I can hear a sample of a high g vs low g tuning?

Raygf
05-12-2013, 03:25 AM
A very good question, I appreciate you asking along with the responses. If I could tag on, is there anywhere online where I can hear a sample of a high g vs low g tuning?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtpEU9F0Nic

Raygf
05-12-2013, 03:28 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KokTSbuum9E

AirCanuck
05-12-2013, 04:02 AM
That's what I was hoping for thanks guys.