Lefty playing right handed

slowpoke

Reaction score
I'm left handed and decided to play right handed. I knew I would develop tingles, numbness and eventual callouses on my left hand fingers and figured small price to pay for so much happiness. I do a lot of crafts and sewing and of course my left hand is the main one for me. I'm really noticing that the fine tuning senses in the fingers are not there now. So.... Other lefties playing right, did you adjust to this left hand finger tip thing ok? Should I persevere? Should I think about switching to left handed playing and totally confuse my poor old brain?

I am a lefty playing righty. I think I've adjusted OK, but it's different for everyone.

You could try holding your uke the other way around and see if you think that would feel easier or harder -- you don't have to switch the strings or anything, just a sort of dry run. When I tried that, it felt weird to me to hold it left-handed, so I stuck with the right-handed way.

I'm a lefty playing right handed as well. I took a few guitar lessons many years ago and my teacher felt that you needed to be able to use both hands well to play so I might as well start off playing right handed because most instruments were strung that way. All of us southpaws have to compensate everyday to things that are designed for the right handed majority anyway.

I'm a lefty playing left handed. I've tried learning the guitar right handed, but that was to difficult. I don't know if I should blame it on the instrument or the right hand :). I guess I've also always played airguitar left handed, so this seemed natural to me.

One of the things that actually attracted me to the uke, was that I so easily could switch the strings to left handed playing.

There are however also some disadvantages to playing southpaw style. I can never try other peoples ukes or the ones in the stores :(.

Another lefty playing righty here. Hang in there, the callouses eventually become a part of you, and you don't even notice. Until you go swimming, then all you want to do is pick at them. : )

Lefty playing righty. No worries, except now when I tap out a rhythm on the steering wheel I think "man, I should be doing this with my right hand!"

I'm a lefty who has been playing (guitar) right-handed since I was a kid. I didn't learn that people played left-handed until I'd been playing for years.

To be honest, I never understood why a lefty wouldn't play right handed - it seems to me most of the dexterity required is on the fretboard.

I am a soft lefty born lefty and play right hand....actually I switched when I was 4-5 years old...my mother used to hit my hand everytime I used my left hand...that accounts for me
being the way I am...LOL to me it's a benefit....

L vs. R has been discussed here many times.

My background is in classical guitar, and trust me, you need both hands. :)

If you can adapt to playing in the conventional R-hand manner, it will ultimately simplify things for you. You'll be able to play anyone else's uke and won't have to re-string what you buy. Only you can make that decision.

But, as an old argument, you don't see many left-handed pianos or flutes or other such instruments.

I am a soft lefty born lefty and play right hand....actually I switched when I was 4-5 years old...my mother used to hit my hand everytime I used my left hand...that accounts for me
being the way I am...LOL to me it's a benefit....

Why are Asians back in the days against lefties?

In that the left hand goes across as well as up and down a fretboard, and all the right hand does is go up or down, what makes it called a right hand strung instrument? There are so many different things which require the use of both hands being able to perform the same task, that it seems to be a specious argument about which hand does what. I watch my daughter play exactly the same thing with either hand on the piano from classical tocatta and fugue to Joplin rag, and both hands function equally well. Why are there not left and right handed keyboards on a computer? Why did my painting contractor boss require that I be able to paint as far and as well with my left hand as with my right? It required moving the ladder 50% less that way. The way the guitar and ukulele are set up really are as left hand dominant instruments.

I'm left-handed, but I have never played guitar or ukulele that way. When I started playing, everybody else was playing right-handed, so that's what I did too. It's ok with me.
(For a nice treat; go on youtube and search for videos of Elizabeth Cotten. She played regular guitars left-handed...no re-stringing, just turned upside down. Sounds wonderful, looks weird.)

Top Bottom