Thoughts on bringing uke on plane

BIGDB

Reaction score
Hello, i have a custom wa wixom coming in a week or 2 and im going on a trip to Chicago, Illinois and wanted to bring it. Is it bad to bring them on planes? I brought my martin s1 on a trip and it was fine however it was only a 2 hour flight and this one is going to be about 4. Is there anythings to worry about or what? Should i do something to prevent anything bad happening to it?

Thanks

there's already been several threads on this topic recently. It won't be an issue as long as you have a case for it.

In the cabin, in a case? No problems. I've checked cheap ukes in a suitcase, surrounded by clothing but without a uke case, never had a problem. But a high end uke should be with you in a proper case.

It's not the plane I'd worry about. The mobsters in Chicago think of the ukulele as a toy, and anyone that plays one is a clown. That'd be my concern.

I live in Chicago...I know.

It's not the plane I'd worry about. The mobsters in Chicago think of the ukulele as a toy, and anyone that plays one is a clown. That'd be my concern.

I live in Chicago...I know.

So bring two uke cases, one for the uke and one for your Chicago Typewriter.

Thanks for the advice I'm definitely gonna have it with me in a case. Is it a good idea to put a humidifier in the case?

Thanks for the advice I'm definitely gonna have it with me in a case. Is it a good idea to put a humidifier in the case?

Aircraft cabins are generally pressurized to about 6500 to 8000 feet. Depends on the airplane. The cabin air will be dryer so a humidifier wouldn't hurt, but probably wouldn't matter for a 4 hour flight. More important would be the humidity difference between Southern California and Chicago which probably isn't much this time of year.

If anything bad happens to your uke you'll just have to get another one. Do you have a spare at home just in case?

Hello, i have a custom wa wixom coming in a week or 2 and im going on a trip to Chicago, Illinois and wanted to bring it. Is it bad to bring them on planes? I brought my martin s1 on a trip and it was fine however it was only a 2 hour flight and this one is going to be about 4. Is there anythings to worry about or what? Should i do something to prevent anything bad happening to it?

Thanks
I have flown from Anchorage to ATL three times (soon to be a 4th time) with my tenor uke and a soprano. No problems. I placed the tenor between two seats (my wife's and mine) and the soprano under mine. That flight is about 12 hours. I have traveled with a gig bag and a hard case.

the only uke that I brought on the plane was an Eleuke!!!! I just didn't want to take the risk that something happens to my uke and with a solid body uke, there's no chance that I break something...... But in reality I think there should be no risk at all to bring an uke on a plane as long as it's well protected by a case....

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao

I travel with my ukulele three to six times a year. I have a solid heavy case, Ameritage, that protects the ukulele. It is heavy! But the protection and ease of mind is worth the extra weight. Plus i fitted my Ameritage case with D rings and keep it slung across my back. Many flights these days involve stop-overs, and before i open the case i check the humidity level at the airport. It's quick and easy to check humidity, just bring up google on your smart-phone and type in National Weather Service "city name" and temperature and humidity info should come up. Compare that humidity to the place you just left. If where you are is dry, don't open the case. And don't open the case on the airplane. Keep close tabs of your ukulele and watch folks when they jam their belongings in the overhead against your uke. If you keep your baby protected, all will be good. And remember that other folks will not be as careful with your uke as you.

Only other issue that occurs to me is the humidifier. If you use an Oasis it may get the attention of the TSA screeners as "liquid". If they decide to inspect it they may go mucking about in your ukulele and you won't be able to stop them. If they're searching something you can't touch it.

Top Bottom