aluminum ukulele

Wow. Is your friend Mike DaSilva?

I have an aluminum lap steel guitar. It is a semi hollow body and it sounds great. Aluminum has all sorts of potential as an acoustic body.

Totally steam punk. I love it.

Looks great! Any chance we can hear it?

–Lori

Its an interesting curiosity however unless its properly engineered its not an item that's going to last. Aluminium doesn't like vibrations and particularly not in thin sheet form. Every vibration is a stress cycle and there is a finite life to the number of stress cycles that aluminium will stand before failing. Not an ideal material for a vibrating top. Anyway, its not like it will fail catastrophically.

Anthony

keep playing that and youll end up with alzheimers :p

Its an interesting curiosity however unless its properly engineered its not an item that's going to last. Aluminium doesn't like vibrations and particularly not in thin sheet form. Every vibration is a stress cycle and there is a finite life to the number of stress cycles that aluminium will stand before failing. Not an ideal material for a vibrating top. Anyway, its not like it will fail catastrophically.

Anthony
It's a worthy bit of speculation, however I believe history tells us otherwise (at least, as you say, if it's properly engineered).

I say that because I know professionals like Katie Cavera and Vince Giordano who currently play aluminum upright bases...built in the early 1930s. Aluminum cellos and violins were also manufactured and many still exist and are played today.

Not to mention that practically every "resonator" instrument ever built uses an aluminum cone.

Man, that is one screwed up ukulele! Is the back put on the same way? For a First Time idea, your friend is to be congratulated. Congratulations to you , also for letting us know about it. Thank you. I would like to see one with the screws on the sides,

I had a British Stuart Wailing aluminum resonator. the front vents were so large, sound did not have a chance to develop so it had a weak nasal sound.

Top Bottom