Small-Folk musicians concert in Nastola Finland

wee_ginga_yin

Reaction score
With the coming of Spring the "Small-folk musicians" put on a show at the local market. It might not be the ukulele but the fiddle has 4 strings :)

Finland has a very string tradition of teaching music to young children. I thought they were fantastic. I hope you can enjoy it as much as I did.

Is the kantele still played much in Finland? Just a lovely sounding instrument, similar to a dulcimer.

I knew some Finnish immigrants who brought over both kanteles and violins. I met them through my grandparents, Erkkila. I love the Finnish brogue, it's just musical.

FinnFest2013 is within driving distance, there'll be lots of music. The host college has a big music program. I'm told the uke is taking off in Finland, hope to post some vids.

Rob that was fabulous to watch. Thanks so much for posting this mate. Beautiful music, beautiful kids, all is well with the world, at least for a time...

Is the kantele still played much in Finland? Just a lovely sounding instrument, similar to a dulcimer.

I knew some Finnish immigrants who brought over both kanteles and violins. I met them through my grandparents, Erkkila. I love the Finnish brogue, it's just musical.

FinnFest2013 is within driving distance, there'll be lots of music. The host college has a big music program. I'm told the uke is taking off in Finland, hope to post some vids.

The 5 string Kantele is still played, and the tradition goes back to vaka vanha Väinämöinen and the Kelevela

594_10_pic_EW5_vadelma.jpg

Rob that was fabulous to watch. Thanks so much for posting this mate. Beautiful music, beautiful kids, all is well with the world, at least for a time...

I thought the third melody which was a polska had very intricate interwoven melodies,
and was amused at the attempted hand gestures during the rap interlude during the 2nd song.
The singer of the sauna blues was quite exceptional... especially her bowing at the end of the song.

They must have a great teacher to be able to put that all together. I heard that they have toured all
over Europe. I was totally smitten by their musicianship

Top Bottom