PDA

View Full Version : Guitar chords to ukulele?

billcarr
05-11-2013, 07:49 AM
What is the general rule for converting guitar chords to ukulele? So many websites with guitar chords and tabs. I am a bit stuck on how to convert... Total dummie here :-)

Bill

Manalishi
05-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Find yourself one of the many online 'Chord Charts' for Ukulele
that show all the chords you will need.Then,if you know your
guitar chords,the key or the chord name,will be the same.
Like a C chord on a guitar is still a C chord on a ukulele,but
the fingering is different,if you follow me?
I was a guitarist for a long time,and as soon as I learned a
handful of ukulele chords,I could,by playing the same chords
(mentally,if you like) play a whole lot of the old guitar stuff
that I already 'knew'

Shastastan
05-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Timebug makes good points. I use fakebooks a lot and I bought one of those little blank chord stamps since I've a lot more to learn. I only use it for the chords that I don't know though. For example if I know the A7 chord, why bother adding a chord diagram for it. I never learned many guitar chords, but I have a friend who says things like, Oh yeah, the uke chord for G is the same as the guitar chord for D." If that works to help learn chords, go for it. My mind doesn't work that way though. I have to just learn the chords for each instrument separately and not think of them both at the same time. FWIW.

vanflynn
05-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Hi Bill,

Chordie.com may help you. You can change the chord diagrams from guitar to uke in the "tuning" pull down.

Hope it helps

UkeKiddinMe
05-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Not sure what you mean by convert. You're going to have to memorize new shapes for all the chords.
But at least your guitar time will make that exercise shorter.

The only shortcut for guitarists is when moving over to a baritone uke. Then we have guitar tuning, minus the E and A string.

Mattyukaholic
05-12-2013, 01:53 AM
The hardest thing is going back to guitar! Whenever I pick my guitar up now it feels more like a double bass!

mm stan
05-12-2013, 03:41 AM
the chords remain the same...just the finger positions are different to protect the innocent.... :)

gitarzan
05-12-2013, 04:13 AM
If you can play a guitar with the E and A strings missing and capo at the fifth fret...

You can play an ukulele.

billcarr
05-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Like a C chord on a guitar is still a C chord on a ukulele,but
the fingering is different,if you follow me?'

Yes.. That IS what I was looking for. All clear now :-)

Bill

ricdoug
05-16-2013, 06:40 PM
http://ukuleletonya.com/files/beginner_lesson_pkg.pdf

Loudster
05-17-2013, 06:15 AM
The only shortcut for guitarists is when moving over to a baritone uke.

I actually felt differently when I started. I thought (and still think) there's a huge advantage to having already played guitar and switching over. Quite a few of the chord-shapes you learned for guitar transfer almost directly (like a D on guitar is a G on ukulele, or an F on a guitar to Bb on uke, or the barre chords). You do have to take a bit of time to rename them, but that's a whole heck of a lot easier than learning all from scratch. :)

I like taking songs that I remember learning on guitar where I played with a capo around the 5th fret and playing it on the uke to see how it sounds. Sometimes it actually sounds pretty good so long as you remember that you're missing 3 of the bass strings (in re-entrant tuning). They tend to work better on low-g tuning.

Tootler
05-17-2013, 10:07 AM
I use guitar sites all the time for getting lyrics and chords for songs. After all, as has already been said, the chord names (hence the harmonies) are the same.

I mostly use Ultimate Guitar as you can transpose by just clicking a button - very useful for getting the chords in a more singable (for me) key. Saves time doing it by hand later, though I often do as I sometimes find I try a few keys before I settle on one that I find comfortable for singing a particular song.