Season 65: Dead Skunks and Why Don't We Do It?: Road Songs

decaturcomp

Reaction score
Welcome to the 65th Season of the Ukulele!

Our mutual pal Ginny and I discussed the type of Season that might be excellent for my first one and, with her help, I've chosen:

"Dead Skunks and Why Don't We Do It?: Road Songs"

In our discussion, she mentioned Route 66 and I was transported (double entendre always intentional) to Doug's playing of and instructional video for that song. How often had it crossed my mind. A great tune with a driving (here we go again) beat and yet jazzy swinging chords. Add to that the fact that Barbablanca is visiting the US soon and lots of our Brothers and Sisters are heading to Needmore, INDIANA from all over the world later this month and…there it was. We need to take a road trip together!

So, here's the idea. We've done place-related songs lately (Thanks Brian!) so I'm not looking for "Far Away Places with Strange Sounding Names" this time. I'm looking for the wind in your hair thrilling to the throaty roar of your slant 6, the heart pounding start of a drag race, or maybe "Dead Man's Curve"! Car culture, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, Moon Powered decals, Metalflake, Candy Apple Red paint jobs on chopped and channeled Low Riders with Rolled and Pleated custom interiors or Chrome Roll Barred, Hood Scooped Street Rods. Bring me your Beach Boys, your Springsteen, Your Tom Robinson Band (there are at least two AMAZING road songs from him) but bring me there in an awesome car and take me on a road trip just for the Hell of it! You don't need the name of a car. It doesn't have to say car (or truck of course) in the title but it should be clear that the song takes place while traveling the roads. The Cloverdale Couple's duet from the current week would have been perfect for this week, for example.

Official Entry Playlist
Bonus Playlist
Singalong Playlist

A. Official Entry Rules:

1. Your song must be about a car(truck), car travel, racing, touring, building, stealing or otherwise interacting with automobiles:

I gave a few examples in the description so I won't repeat myself here but, you know, Start Your Engines!

2. Your face must appear in the video.

3. The ukulele must be front and center in the music.

4. It must be a new video, specially created for this Season.

5. Unless you tell me otherwise, your first video posted will be your official entry.

6. You must state verbally or in writing at the beginning or end of your video that it is for the 65th Season of the Ukulele.

9. In your post to the 65th Season thread on UU, please include the name of the song and the songwriter. Please note that everyone ignores this rule. Why stop now?

10. PLEASE Don't post any videos before Sunday, May 12, Hawaii time. This is out of courtesy to the current host (tildetildedavetildetilde) who is working hard to get the season wrapped up tight and right. AND what a righteous season it has been!

11. Contest ends at the end of Sunday, May 19, Hawaii time.

12. Only one official entry per person.

Lucky 13. Multitracking is fine with me. Please note that I won't be judging your editing skills though and I'm looking for the heart of the song which, I think, "high production values" can detract from on some occasions.

14. If you see a big gaff I'm making please contact me and let me know your concern. PM is fine. This is my first time and I'll probably be only average at best. Thanks!

B. Bonus Song Rules:

1. Bonus songs: I love them! To me this whole Seasonista thing is about sharing music, not throttling it. As long as they meet the criteria, think about this all week and sling a great Car song at us when you think of it. No limit. Just understand that I may not be able to keep up with the bonus songs as well as with the main entries. Same thing goes for Singalongs. First things first and all that.

C: Singalong Rules:

1: There are NO singalong rules. To me a singalong is a song that encourages other folks to strum/sing/drum/dance along. You can include Chords and Lyrics or do whatever you please that's along with the theme. Sing one verse and chorus and ask someone else to post the next verse or whatever you want to do. Go nuts. No judgement here.

D. Prizes:

So here's the deal on this. I really don't know. I just took this slot earlier this week and I'm working on it. I have a call in to see what goodies might be available at Uke Republic, (the only cool uke store in the Atlanta Market) and there may be a trinket from there involved but I'm not sure and I have written Jas Ingram for permission to use some of his awesome stickers as an adjunct to whatever prizes I find and he's cool with that. See the video for a shot of one of the stickers.

I'm thinking recognition from your host as his choice for the "best this, that or the other" may include an excellent Sticker with the art of SEUKER Jas Ingram who is also known as Captain Lovehandles. He's a terrific artist who has illustrated books and created lots of CD covers and you can contact him for GREAT art for your CD and much more here: http://jasingram.com/.

Yes, this will be Host Judged and the decision of the Judge is final although probably flawed.

Categories for prizes:
Among other things (Riffing off of Austin 1's great certificates a while back…I will always treasure mine) I'm thinking of recognizing "Best Original Car Song", "First Time Seasonistas", "Best duo or group", "Best SELECTION of a cover song!" because that's a sort of art form, "Best Bonus Song" "Best Singalong" … Maybe none of those and a lot of something else. It all depends on what you kids bring to the table. I want to recognize the outstanding efforts for the Season. Remember, it's all about the music. Sing your hearts out, pretend the top's down and you're singing along with the Wolfman Jack radio show from over the border like in American Graffiti!

OK, now that you've made it through all the rules, let's make some videos! So, get your motor runnin', head out on the highway! I'll see you out there where the rubber meets the road.

- Alan

Last edited:
I definitely don't have any questions after watching your video...I'm reving my engine and waiting for the green light!!

I've been playing Route 66 all morning for Baron's Ukulele Blues Battle. Hope I can use it for both! Let me know. Thanks.

I've been wondering if you were going to bring the Kraftwerk or not...
I seriously thought about that when I was deciding on the theme.

I realize that they didn't have the quality of lyrics you usually choose, howsumever.

All right! I've been wondering when we'd do driving songs!

aw, there goes my idea for season 67... back to the ol' drawing board...oh well, what do they say Alan, twisted minds think alike or something

I have internet again! Maybe I'll actually get in an entry sometime before the end of the century!

Good on ya, Alan for stepping in at the last minute.

Interesting theme. As a folkie, I'm used to songs about slower modes of transport but I'm sure I'll think of something.

do these songs have to be literally about driving, or can driving be a metaphor?

Also the only things I can think of are either a) wildly inappropriate or b) really manly man songs that should never be allowed to come out of my mouth. Since I'm not touching Tracy Chapman with a fifty-foot pole, I would like to apologize in advance for my entry this week, assuming it happens.

Last edited:
Thanks for the shout out, Alan, looks like a fun season. And Ray, looking forward to your version of "Route 66".

Folkie Tootler, look into Gordon Lightfoot's Carefree Highway.

Austin Tina, oh go all metaphor, girl!

I imagine GaryC1968 is looking through his Keroac poems about the open road to find one to set to music.

And as soon as he's done in Louisiana, Dave~Wave will get his motor running, for sure. It's all he can do not to think about it till Monday. :D

Oh please, please, someone do Willie Nelson's On the Road Again.

do these songs have to be literally about driving, or can driving be a metaphor?

Also the only things I can think of are either a) wildly inappropriate or b) really manly man songs that should never be allowed to come out of my mouth. Since I'm not touching Tracy Chapman with a fifty-foot pole, I would like to apologize in advance for my entry this week, assuming it happens.

I'm afraid you are thinking what I'm thinking and yes, it's inappropriate!

Something on this list for you maybe Austin?:

http://www.calif-tech.com/blog/carsongs.html

Personally I would love to see you do Driving In My Car by Madness, I'm sure you would have lots of fun with that ;-).

haha I'm listening to this right now and it's hilarious.

edit: I know exactly six songs on that list. I feel like a terrible person. On the plus side, I've got an idea!

Last edited:
first bonus: Pete Seeger "This Old Car"

Last edited:
Since you clearly know what a metaphor is phor, play on!
Ginny mentioned this very thing in our discussion as she was helping me to gather my wits.

Top Bottom