David Newton Dias Tenor

jwieties

Reaction score
Been wanting to post this thread for a few weeks now. I've had the great fortune of having David Newton build me a tenor ukulele based on his Dias body style. I'd like to start by saying it was a pleasure to work with Dave. I really wanted to simply tell him to build a tenor that he would have fun with and leave it at that. I believe at one point I told him that I loved the looks of his Dias soprano and envisioned it having an allergic reaction and inflating to a tenor. I couldn't be more happy with the end result.

There are a few unique features. Perhaps my favorite is the one-piece Honduran Mahogany top and back, which are absolutely gorgeous in their simplicity. The fret board is slightly radiuses and made of Texas Ebony. I did request 13 frets as I like the compromise between bridge placement and fret access. This is especially nice for playing harmonics. I chose the new gotoh UPTs which are silky smooth amazing little tuners. Also, Dave is a master with french polish, which is stunning. The playability is sublime. Simply effortless up and down the neck. Most importantly, the tone is exactly what I had in mind... rich, full and sweet. I really can't say enough about this uke. I feel very fortunate to own such a high quality instrument.

Hope to do some vids soon, but here's a few pics.

P1060489.jpgP1060488.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a few build pics that I believe further highlight David's tremendous skill.
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto.jpg

That is lovely work, and I am sure a wonderful instrument. Look forward to hearing a sound sample.

Stunning instrument Josh, so elegant. It's just beautiful mate, congratulations. I know what you mean now!!!

Congratulations on the new uke! Lovely.

Aloha Josh,
Sweet looking ukulele....wow wow Congratulations..it Looks Amazing....I did not know Dave built ukes too, I thought it was only guitars...is the lone Star for Texas? Happy Strummings

Thanks guys.

Aloha Josh,
Sweet looking ukulele....wow wow Congratulations..it Looks Amazing....I did not know Dave built ukes too, I thought it was only guitars...is the lone Star for Texas? Happy Strummings
David builds a mean guitar. Here's Big Daddy Stovepipe putting one through the paces.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bTLyjHzN-c
However, he loves building ukes too. When I was looking into this, I stumbled across a photo of one he built 20 years ago, that had made it's way to a shop in Japan. The thing still looked in great shape and gave me confidence in the quality of his builds. I think his favorites are the "primitive style" which he lists for sale here from time to time. They really embrace the simplicity of the uke. He uses a few 5 pointed stars, which I assumed represent Texas, but it actually takes on a different meaning to me.

Last edited:
Yes Yes Dave is a UU member here too....woo hoo thank you I will check out his website, wow 20 years he has been building ukes, I did not know that ....thank you... :)
I know the five pointed star can stand for stardom and fame, or religion such as the Star Of David, even wars or on flags....
OOPS, edit...I just learned from another UU member...the star of David has 6 points....so sorry....my bad

Last edited:
Very nice Josh. Beautiful uke. I think that Jon hit the nail on the head. Elegant!

Mmmmm, Dias tenor. (That's my best Homer Simpson voice.)

Congrats on a beauty. Looks like a 1 1/2 nut, is that right?

Ooops, had to edit my first post. I said "one piece back and sides", but it also has a one piece top. I believe this adds to the tone and while subtle, gives an interesting look.

Mmmmm, Dias tenor. (That's my best Homer Simpson voice.)

Congrats on a beauty. Looks like a 1 1/2 nut, is that right?
Some would say I'm indecisive, but I chose to say I prefer moderation in all things. Much like going for the middle ground with the 13 fret neck, I requested 1 7/16 nut. These things tend to make little difference to me as I quickly adjust to different ukes and guitars. However, this is a great player and for me the ideal specs.

The thread has gone 2 pages, so it won't be said that I crashed in from the start!
I want to say that Josh was the "ideal customer" both knowing what he wanted, and giving me plenty of freedom to do my thing.
I won't be saying too much, to say that when I hit a "stump" Josh remained loyal to me, and now enjoys the outcome.

Thanks Perry. Here's my current pack. The Covered Bridge concert and Newton tenor are perfect compliments.
P1060498.jpgP1060495.jpg

The thread has gone 2 pages, so it won't be said that I crashed in from the start!
I want to say that Josh was the "ideal customer" both knowing what he wanted, and giving me plenty of freedom to do my thing.
I won't be saying too much, to say that when I hit a "stump" Josh remained loyal to me, and now enjoys the outcome.

Thanks Dave. It definitely was a fun process.
I hope your machete one day comes into reality. I'm sure it would be a stunning and incredibly fun instrument that would tempt me to no end.

Top Bottom