PDA

View Full Version : New Compass Rose at Gryphon

hawaii 50
05-11-2013, 07:29 PM
I see Rick has sent to two new CRs to Gryphon..too new to have pictures posted..
the Cocobolo/Sequoia C style sounds interesting,,hopefully I can see pictures before they are sold..

Newportlocal
05-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Saw that the other day on their site. Ditto on the hope we see pictures.

hawaii 50
05-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Saw that the other day on their site. Ditto on the hope we see pictures.

Richard I forget what kind of top on yours..I know you have Cocobolo back and sides too..should be from the same billet..must be ready soon..I hope..

Newportlocal
05-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Richard I forget what kind of top on yours..I know you have Cocobolo back and sides too..should be from the same billet..must be ready soon..I hope..

Cocobolo back and sides with a sinker redwood top. Hopefully,you are right on the ready soon.:D

hawaii 50
05-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Cocobolo back and sides with a sinker redwood top. Hopefully,you are right on the ready soon.:D

should be soon..
I want to see the top of your uke too,mine might be something like yours..but I am not expecting it till the end of the year,or next year,I love waiting for Rick to get mine done..worth it..for sure

mm stan
05-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Hey Richie...that was your uke...LOL ha ha only kidding..I know yours is coming real soon...must be from the same batch.... :)
Yes Len, I saw them a few day ago too, but no pictures....Tom said they both sounded nice and the concert was a mahogany satin..... :)

hawaii 50
05-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Hey Richie...that was your uke...LOL ha ha only kidding..I know yours is coming real soon...must be from the same batch.... :)
Yes Len, I saw them a few day ago too, but no pictures....Tom said they both sounded nice and the concert was a mahogany satin..... :)

Hey Stan, I bet that Cocobolo C style one is nice..there should be pictures Monday unless they sold them already..MGM says they are going to have 4 soon.. and one will be a concert also..

Gillian
05-12-2013, 07:05 AM
My news is Rick's office manager Eliza said mine (sequoia and walnut) hadn't gone to finishing yet but is in the next batch and should be ready in 4-6 weeks. :smileybounce:

Rick Turner
05-12-2013, 07:15 AM
To all those waiting for CR ukes...sorry for delays, but losing John Robinson, my main uke builder, has cost us several months of production...to say nothing of my recently being out for a couple of weeks with acute bronchitis. We're catching up now! A batch is flowing through, and another group will go into the spray booth at the end of next week. We have been overwhelmed by orders, but hopefully we'll be able to get the lead time down to a more reasonable level in a few months. Bear in mind that in a given month we hardly ever build two ukes the same...these are really all custom builds. And as we've gone through changes in the luthier staff, my main goal has been to keep our quality as high as possible; I'm really happy to say that I cannot see or hear any difference between ukes from one, two, or three years ago and the latest...other than just the normal "opening up" of the new instruments as they're played a lot.

Thanks for your patience...

RT

hawaii 50
05-12-2013, 07:21 AM
To all those waiting for CR ukes...sorry for delays, but losing John Robinson, my main uke builder, has cost us several months of production...to say nothing of my recently being out for a couple of weeks with acute bronchitis. We're catching up now! A batch is flowing through, and another group will go into the spray booth at the end of next week. We have been overwhelmed by orders, but hopefully we'll be able to get the lead time down to a more reasonable level in a few months. Bear in mind that in a given month we hardly ever build two ukes the same...these are really all custom builds. And as we've gone through changes in the luthier staff, my main goal has been to keep our quality as high as possible; I'm really happy to say that I cannot see or hear any difference between ukes from one, two, or three years ago and the latest...other than just the normal "opening up" of the new instruments as they're played a lot.

RT

Thanks Rick..

wishing all the Mom's in your life a Happy Mothers Day..
we are having great weather out here..hope the same for you..

congrats on all the new orders..i can not wait to hear from all the new happy CR customers(family) I might get to meet Sarah Maisel on her trip to Hawaii in Oct..

have a nice Sunday..
Len

hawaii 50
05-12-2013, 07:56 AM
My news is Rick's office manager Eliza said mine (sequoia and walnut) hadn't gone to finishing yet but is in the next batch and should be ready in 4-6 weeks. :smileybounce:

Congrats Gillian..

In a few weeks you will see what I mean..the wait for Rick's CRs are for sure worth it..the sound is what you are looking for..

and the CR fit and finish one of the best in the uke World..and Rick does a great finish on all his Compass Rose uke..
I hope you put out a video with you playing your new CR,like only you can..haha

let me know when you get yours..I am happy for you....

Newportlocal
05-12-2013, 08:48 AM

You are a bad bad man Stan.:D

hawaii 50
05-12-2013, 08:58 AM
You are a bad bad man Stan.:D

Hey Richard he just jealous..he don't have one yet..hehe

Newportlocal
05-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Hey Richard he just jealous..he don't have one yet..hehe

Unless,he is buying that cocobolo and sequoia one. If I didn't have one on the way. I would buy it. Bet it will be nice.

Newportlocal
05-12-2013, 09:20 AM

RT

Everything happens for a reason. Hope things improve and get back to normal for your own well being. Have a restful Mother's Day Sunday.

hawaii 50
05-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Unless,he is buying that cocobolo and sequoia one. If I didn't have one on the way. I would buy it. Bet it will be nice.

No Stan just says he going to get one..hehe
the person who might get it is Mark..unless he already has it..haha and HMS going to have some in a few weeks..so maybe Stan will go try one..MGM says his CR is his favorite uke.(since he plays a lot of jazz music on his ukes)

Dan Uke
05-12-2013, 09:31 AM

Stan so if you called, does that mean you have interest in getting one?

hawaii 50
05-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Stan so if you called, does that mean you have interest in getting one?

Yes Daniel he is getting a CR..just waiting for the right price and he should test it at HMS..if I can get him to go..I took Stan to lunch a week after you came to visit..but been hard lately..

Rick Turner
05-12-2013, 10:53 AM
The ones I just delivered at Gryphon are a pretty outrageous cocobolo (and as nice as you'll see...if you like mid 1930s style Martin Brazilian rosewood-looking wood...but legal) with Sequoia top, and a very simple nano-jumbo mahogany concert.

blue_knight_usa
05-12-2013, 02:07 PM
The ones I just delivered at Gryphon are a pretty outrageous cocobolo (and as nice as you'll see...if you like mid 1930s style Martin Brazilian rosewood-looking wood...but legal) with Sequoia top, and a very simple nano-jumbo mahogany concert.

Hi Rick, Hopefully some of that crazy cocobolo is making its way to my uke on your bench! :drool:

Rick Turner
05-12-2013, 03:39 PM
It is indeed!

Just committed to hiring on another luthier out of the Roberto Venn school in Tempe, too...

hawaii 50
05-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Holly Rick..how many luthiers do you have now?
Did John make it all the way back? I hope so..i would love it if he built mine..

don't work to hard and congrats again..

Rick Turner
05-12-2013, 05:04 PM
I've got three guys with me in the shop, but we're building everything from the Compass Rose ukes to the Renaissance acoustic electric guitars and basses and the solid body Turner stuff too...and then an occasional CR acoustic guitar. We're stretched pretty thin, and to be honest, we've been pretty amazed and overwhelmed by how the ukes have been accepted within the uke community. I hope to be up to a full four full time luthiers by next September, but it takes a lot of training for someone to be really useful in a small shop like mine where we build so many different kinds of instruments.

As a lot of you know, it's a labor of love for me...my CR tenor is my "go to" instrument these days, and now that I'm on the mend and we have a new singer, "Uke Ellington", my standards and jazz combo, is gearing back up. We have a wonderful new singer, Hannah Smalltree, and with a bit of luck, we'll get out there and do some gigging in the Bay Area at least. So I'm musically committed as well as loving making these little things.

gyosh
05-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks Rick..

wishing all the Mom's in your life a Happy Mothers Day..
we are having great weather out here..hope the same for you..

congrats on all the new orders..i can not wait to hear from all the new happy CR customers(family) I might get to meet Sarah Maisel on her trip to Hawaii in Oct..

have a nice Sunday..
Len

Tell her to bring the CR and leave the "guinea pig" home :)

hawaii 50
05-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Tell her to bring the CR and leave the "guinea pig" home :)

Sarah says she going too bring both..It would be nice to meet her and watch her play..I would love to see her in the Ukulele Festival one of these years..she would be perfect, I hear Roy Sakuma a big jazz ukulele fan..

gyosh
05-12-2013, 05:19 PM
I've got three guys with me in the shop, but we're building everything from the Compass Rose ukes to the Renaissance acoustic electric guitars and basses and the solid body Turner stuff too...and then an occasional CR acoustic guitar. We're stretched pretty thin, and to be honest, we've been pretty amazed and overwhelmed by how the ukes have been accepted within the uke community. I hope to be up to a full four full time luthiers by next September, but it takes a lot of training for someone to be really useful in a small shop like mine where we build so many different kinds of instruments.

As a lot of you know, it's a labor of love for me...my CR tenor is my "go to" instrument these days, and now that I'm on the mend and we have a new singer, "Uke Ellington", my standards and jazz combo, is gearing back up. We have a wonderful new singer, Hannah Smalltree, and with a bit of luck, we'll get out there and do some gigging in the Bay Area at least. So I'm musically committed as well as loving making these little things.

Hey Rick,

I'll be on the look out for "Uke Ellington" shows. Are you planning on doing another build class when things calm down a little? I noticed The Crucible took down the pages for instrument building. I want to take the class again and take better notes:) My son's hands are big enough to start making chords so I'm going to start teaching him to play. If you have the class again, I think I'll make a soprano for him and send it to Adam Starrk for finishing.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Hope to hear from you soon:)

-Gary

gyosh
05-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Sarah says she going too bring both..It would be nice to meet her and watch her play..I would love to see her in the Ukulele Festival one of these years..she would be perfect, I hear Roy Sakuma a big jazz ukulele fan..

She's really nice.

I missed the workshop and show with her and Craig Chee because I had kid birthday parties I had to attend, but I made it back in time to go to Smiley's kanikapila and Jason Arimoto's blue's workshop that night. Good times.

I might have to drive over to Gryphon's tomorrow to check out the new CR's. I'll send you a pic if I do.

hawaii 50
05-12-2013, 05:41 PM
She's really nice.

I missed the workshop and show with her and Craig Chee because I had kid birthday parties I had to attend, but I made it back in time to go to Smiley's kanikapila and Jason Arimoto's blue's workshop that night. Good times.

I might have to drive over to Gryphon's tomorrow to check out the new CR's. I'll send you a pic if I do.

Gary, I really miss my trips to Gryphon..I used to play all the CRs there,but they started geting sold before I could get there..then some were sold before they got to the shop

I hope I can get to HMS fast enough when they show up there..haha

send me pictures when you can ,,thxs
but I really want to see pictures of your CR..put Rick in the picture too..

mds725
05-12-2013, 06:14 PM

Ooh! Ooh! Me too, please!

hawaii 50
05-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Hey Mark you might want go see that Cocobolo CR in person..I bet it is beautiful..that way you can get it if is still there.. sorry you know I like giving you a hard time..haha

I think Stan coming around on a CR..it is about time..

gyosh
05-12-2013, 06:17 PM

You'll probably have bought it before I get down there:)

hawaii 50
05-12-2013, 06:25 PM

Haha..unless they sell it before Mark gets there..sorry Mark can't resist..
but I do want to see pictures..not to many Cocobolo ukes out there..and Taylor guitars also calling Cocobolo the next Brazilian Rosewood..wow

Dan Uke
05-12-2013, 07:36 PM
I am still waiting to try one. Maybe I get lucky one of these days

Newportlocal
05-12-2013, 08:24 PM
I am still waiting to try one. Maybe I get lucky one of these days

As soon as I get mine you will be able to try it.

Gillian
05-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Don't forget Sylvan Music (http://www.sylvanmusic.com/logopage.php?search=Ukuleles&instrument=ukulele) in Santa Cruz sells CRs too. They presently have three in stock. I'm curious what the beautiful Adirondack spruce/cocobolo 5-string sounds like.

Newportlocal
05-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Don't forget Sylvan Music (http://www.sylvanmusic.com/logopage.php?search=Ukuleles&instrument=ukulele) in Santa Cruz sells CRs too. They presently have three in stock. I'm curious what the beautiful Adirondack spruce/cocobolo 5-string sounds like.

I forgot about looking there. Interesting Cocobolo. Previously I had only seen this one with the sap wood.
http://www.acousticvibesmusic.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=879
We should be getting our ukuleles at the same time. They are in the same batch.

Rick Turner
05-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Pics up at the Gryphon site:

http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/41127/index.php

http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/41128/index.php

And Gary and Denise's ukes ship this week!

caukulele
05-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Hey Rick!!!!!! Can't wait!!!!! Now this is SUPER news!!!!!!:smileybounce:

mm stan
05-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Wow the man acknowledged on the forums that your ukes are ready Gary and Denise, CONTRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH :)...Holy Moly, I think this is a first....Gary ask Rick if he has a shop uke for me when you pick yours up...hee hee

hawaii 50
05-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Wow the man acknowledged on the forums that your ukes are ready Gary and Denise, CONTRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH :)...Holy Moly, I think this is a first....Gary ask Rick if he has a shop uke for me when you pick yours up...hee hee

Hey Gary..congrats on your CR,,show me pictures a soon as possible..and try spy on the wood for my build if Rick has it.. if you get a chance..you are going down to Santa Cruz?

Hey Stan the whole fun with a Compass Rose is to pick your own wood with Rick for the build..ask Gillian,Gary,Denise,Richard,Mark and me..we all have our own wood combinations..none the same..wow

get with the program bruddah...hehe

mm stan
05-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Hey Gary..congrats on your CR,,show me pictures a soon as possible..and try spy on the wood for my build if Rick has it.. if you get a chance..you are going down to Santa Cruz?

Hey Stan the whole fun with a Compass Rose is to pick your own wood with Rick for the build..ask Gillian,Gary,Denise,Richard,Mark and me..we all have our own wood combinations..none the same..wow

get with the program bruddah...hehe
He He Len...I hoping Rick sells me his favorite sounding one......:) I'm trying to be ahead you all...LOL

Dan Uke
05-14-2013, 02:18 PM
He He Len...I hoping Rick sells me his favorite sounding one......:) I'm trying to be ahead you all...LOL

hehe...Stan you staying true to yourself and picking the best sounding!!

mds725
05-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Wait .... is it still there?!?

hawaii 50
05-14-2013, 03:01 PM

Hey Stan no problems,,I am still so happy with my Koa tenor(dlx C style) CR..I can wait for my second one..let me know and you can jump ahead of me on the build list..haha..
I practice with my CR everyday..sounds better than ever..

gyosh
05-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Wait .... is it still there?!?

I didn't get a chance to head over there. Looks like I'm heading south in the next few days:)

hawaii 50
05-14-2013, 03:22 PM
I didn't get a chance to head over there. Looks like I'm heading south in the next few days:)

Congrats Gary..you remember a year ago You, Me and Keliiyama going on about Rick's CRs..a year went by fast..glad we met over something we really enjoy and wow did things take off for Rick or what..and all kinds of stuff happened too ..crazy

I still keep in touch with Kelii and hope to see him soon..
take care of the CR..your son might want to play soon..haha

happy strumming bruddah!

gyosh
05-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Congrats Gary..you remember a year ago You, Me and Keliiyama going on about Rick's CRs..a year went by fast..glad we met over something we really enjoy and wow did things take off for Rick or what..and all kinds of stuff happened too ..crazy

I still keep in touch with Kelii and hope to see him soon..
take care of the CR..your son might want to play soon..haha

happy strumming bruddah!

I've still only seen Kellii's uke the one time he played it for a contest. I'd love to see pics of it, or better yet, see it in person one of these days.

hawaii 50
05-14-2013, 03:44 PM
I've still only seen Kellii's uke the one time he played it for a contest. I'd love to see pics of it, or better yet, see it in person one of these days.

I have not played it either..i met him at the Ukulele Picnic..but he did not know it was me..crazy and he had his CR on his back that was funny..we are trying to get together with Stan and play each others ukes..(ukestah too)

this Sunday in Kapoiolani Park they have the first annual,, slack key/ukulele and steel string guitar festival..Cyril Pahinui,Dennis Kamakahi(sorry bout spelling)Jeff Peterson,and Brittni Paiva etc...I think I will check it out..

no forget next time you visit..i need to see your CR..

blue_knight_usa
05-14-2013, 05:51 PM
41127 is stunning! I hope my "Eagle" is ready for pick up before summer hits. I'll drive down and get it on a moments notice! ;-)

wayfarer75
05-15-2013, 12:51 PM
I really love that nano jumbo concert! Not that the tenor isn't awesome, it's just not calling my name.

gyosh
05-15-2013, 07:31 PM
I really love that nano jumbo concert! Not that the tenor isn't awesome, it's just not calling my name.

Maybe you're not listening hard enough?! :)

mds725
05-18-2013, 11:44 AM
I was at Gryphon today and played both of the CRs there. I also brought along my walnut tenor CR for comparison.

First of all, both ukes are beautiful, as one can tell from the photos on Gryphon's website. And they both sounded wonderful, with that harp-like CR voice. My walnut CR is more of a baseline CR -- satin finish and no bling, binding, or fancy woodwork. To my ear, the CR tenor at Gryphon and my CR tenor sounded very much alike, and I was very tempted. I'm really happy with my walnut CR, though, and didn't feel that the upgrade to the binding, extra woodwork and gloss finish of the Gryphon tenor CR was worth paying the additional amount for the Gryphon CR over what I paid for mine, but there's no question that the Gryphon uke is a wonderful and expertly-crafted instrument that's probably worth more than what Gryphon is asking for it.

I made a sound sample comparing my tenor CR with Gryphon's and I'll post a link to it as soon as I have a chance to upload it.

I didn't walk out emptyhanded. I bought as used 2011 mahogany Baby Taylor guitar. :)

Dan Uke
05-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Mark

Thanks for the mini review...looking forward to your sound sample. I heard the sound samples from Gryphon and the tenor seems ok but the concert really stands out in my opinion.

I was at Gryphon today and played both of the CRs there. I also brought along my walnut tenor CR for comparison.

First of all, both ukes are beautiful, as one can tell from the photos on Gryphon's website. And they both sounded wonderful, with that harp-like CR voice. My walnut CR is more of a baseline CR -- satin finish and no bling, binding, or fancy woodwork. To my ear, the CR tenor at Gryphon and my CR tenor sounded very much alike, and I was very tempted. I'm really happy with my walnut CR, though, and didn't feel that the upgrade to the binding, extra woodwork and gloss finish of the Gryphon tenor CR was worth paying the additional amount for the Gryphon CR over what I paid for mine, but there's no question that the Gryphon uke is a wonderful and expertly-crafted instrument that's probably worth more than what Gryphon is asking for it.

I made a sound sample comparing my tenor CR with Gryphon's and I'll post a link to it as soon as I have a chance to upload it.

I didn't walk out emptyhanded. I bought as used 2011 mahogany Baby Taylor guitar. :)

gyosh
05-18-2013, 12:33 PM

LOL

If I didn't get a headache, I would have run into you there with my CR. I wanted to check out how some short scale guitars felt to me. What a coincidence. How's the baby Taylor?

wayfarer75
05-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Maybe you're not listening hard enough?! :)

Not after listening to the sound samples. I definitely like that concert better.

gyosh
05-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Not after listening to the sound samples. I definitely like that concert better.

I like it too.

Must be the body shape.

caukulele
05-18-2013, 03:02 PM
I must say that my Nano CR has an incredible sound...and I love the shape as well.... I think the larger lower bout helps, because it has a much fuller, bigger sound then most concerts....

hawaii 50
05-18-2013, 04:45 PM

Hey Mark..you are cracking me up..now you are into guitars..wow
did you see Gary's CR..wow!

wadleysf
05-18-2013, 08:36 PM

Congratulations! Looks like the show-and-tell is growing! We'll see you soon I hope.