New Compass Rose at Gryphon

hawaii 50

Reaction score
I see Rick has sent to two new CRs to Gryphon..too new to have pictures posted..
the Cocobolo/Sequoia C style sounds interesting,,hopefully I can see pictures before they are sold..

Saw that the other day on their site. Ditto on the hope we see pictures.

Saw that the other day on their site. Ditto on the hope we see pictures.

Richard I forget what kind of top on yours..I know you have Cocobolo back and sides too..should be from the same billet..must be ready soon..I hope..

Cocobolo back and sides with a sinker redwood top. Hopefully,you are right on the ready soon.:D

should be soon..
I want to see the top of your uke too,mine might be something like yours..but I am not expecting it till the end of the year,or next year,I love waiting for Rick to get mine done..worth it..for sure

Cocobolo back and sides with a sinker redwood top. Hopefully,you are right on the ready soon.:D
Hey Richie...that was your uke...LOL ha ha only kidding..I know yours is coming real soon...must be from the same batch.... :)
Yes Len, I saw them a few day ago too, but no pictures....Tom said they both sounded nice and the concert was a mahogany satin..... :)

Hey Richie...that was your uke...LOL ha ha only kidding..I know yours is coming real soon...must be from the same batch.... :)
Yes Len, I saw them a few day ago too, but no pictures....Tom said they both sounded nice and the concert was a mahogany satin..... :)

Hey Stan, I bet that Cocobolo C style one is nice..there should be pictures Monday unless they sold them already..MGM says they are going to have 4 soon.. and one will be a concert also..

My news is Rick's office manager Eliza said mine (sequoia and walnut) hadn't gone to finishing yet but is in the next batch and should be ready in 4-6 weeks. :smileybounce:

To all those waiting for CR ukes...sorry for delays, but losing John Robinson, my main uke builder, has cost us several months of production...to say nothing of my recently being out for a couple of weeks with acute bronchitis. We're catching up now! A batch is flowing through, and another group will go into the spray booth at the end of next week. We have been overwhelmed by orders, but hopefully we'll be able to get the lead time down to a more reasonable level in a few months. Bear in mind that in a given month we hardly ever build two ukes the same...these are really all custom builds. And as we've gone through changes in the luthier staff, my main goal has been to keep our quality as high as possible; I'm really happy to say that I cannot see or hear any difference between ukes from one, two, or three years ago and the latest...other than just the normal "opening up" of the new instruments as they're played a lot.

Thanks for your patience...

RT

To all those waiting for CR ukes...sorry for delays, but losing John Robinson, my main uke builder, has cost us several months of production...to say nothing of my recently being out for a couple of weeks with acute bronchitis. We're catching up now! A batch is flowing through, and another group will go into the spray booth at the end of next week. We have been overwhelmed by orders, but hopefully we'll be able to get the lead time down to a more reasonable level in a few months. Bear in mind that in a given month we hardly ever build two ukes the same...these are really all custom builds. And as we've gone through changes in the luthier staff, my main goal has been to keep our quality as high as possible; I'm really happy to say that I cannot see or hear any difference between ukes from one, two, or three years ago and the latest...other than just the normal "opening up" of the new instruments as they're played a lot.

RT

Thanks Rick..

wishing all the Mom's in your life a Happy Mothers Day..
we are having great weather out here..hope the same for you..

congrats on all the new orders..i can not wait to hear from all the new happy CR customers(family) I might get to meet Sarah Maisel on her trip to Hawaii in Oct..

have a nice Sunday..
Len

My news is Rick's office manager Eliza said mine (sequoia and walnut) hadn't gone to finishing yet but is in the next batch and should be ready in 4-6 weeks. :smileybounce:

Congrats Gillian..

In a few weeks you will see what I mean..the wait for Rick's CRs are for sure worth it..the sound is what you are looking for..

and the CR fit and finish one of the best in the uke World..and Rick does a great finish on all his Compass Rose uke..
I hope you put out a video with you playing your new CR,like only you can..haha

let me know when you get yours..I am happy for you....

Last edited:

You are a bad bad man Stan.:D

RT

Everything happens for a reason. Hope things improve and get back to normal for your own well being. Have a restful Mother's Day Sunday.

Unless,he is buying that cocobolo and sequoia one. If I didn't have one on the way. I would buy it. Bet it will be nice.

No Stan just says he going to get one..hehe
the person who might get it is Mark..unless he already has it..haha and HMS going to have some in a few weeks..so maybe Stan will go try one..MGM says his CR is his favorite uke.(since he plays a lot of jazz music on his ukes)

Last edited:

Stan so if you called, does that mean you have interest in getting one?

Stan so if you called, does that mean you have interest in getting one?

Yes Daniel he is getting a CR..just waiting for the right price and he should test it at HMS..if I can get him to go..I took Stan to lunch a week after you came to visit..but been hard lately..

The ones I just delivered at Gryphon are a pretty outrageous cocobolo (and as nice as you'll see...if you like mid 1930s style Martin Brazilian rosewood-looking wood...but legal) with Sequoia top, and a very simple nano-jumbo mahogany concert.

The ones I just delivered at Gryphon are a pretty outrageous cocobolo (and as nice as you'll see...if you like mid 1930s style Martin Brazilian rosewood-looking wood...but legal) with Sequoia top, and a very simple nano-jumbo mahogany concert.

Hi Rick, Hopefully some of that crazy cocobolo is making its way to my uke on your bench! :drool:

Top Bottom