Where is Van Pelt?? I really dont want to ask this..

MGM

Reaction score
Two years ago I met this luthier at Reno Uke Fest.. I loved his build and sound quality and he was getting orders from my posts and working on ukes for HMS....Since then all of a sudden he has vanished and I cannot contact him.. I understand from rumours that he was having health issues to deal with with his wife but haven't heard a peep in a year. Sorry to say at this point unless he contacts us and has some explanation I suggest no longer dealing with him until I find out what has happened. he even had a awesome tenor 80% complete for us over a year ago and I haven't heard a peep since dispite numorous emails....With no information and lack of communication all I can say is be careful...

Aloha Mike,
I too am concerned and worried for Steve and his Wife, hope he and his wife are all right....I wouldn't worry as he is not taking orders,, he seems to have to take care of major issues first..
I only can wish them both well....until I hear back from him...from what I know, He is a real nice guy from talking to him and what I heard before...just hope he gets over the rought times.
Praying for him and his wife...

Did he require a deposit?

according to one of my friends no deposit when he made his order..he had the wood picked out and the abalone for the purfling picked out too..then no contact

his build list was full up to a year in advance also..

I think he's going through a rough patch over the past 6 months or so. It's difficult to balance the care of a loved one versus what you love to do. As with anyone, Steve is probably dealing with it his own way and I'm sure his priorities are justified given the particular situation. Not promising anything but I'll try to get some updated info. In the meantime, we should respect his privacy. Just my dos centavos!

according to one of my friends no deposit when he made his order..he had the wood picked out and the abalone for the purfling picked out too..then no contact

his build list was full up to a year in advance also..

If he didn't require a deposit then this should be a private matter especially since he has family matters.

Last edited:
Super nice guy that builds really nice ukes.
Have been sending my warmest Aloha to him and his family and wishing him the best.
Yeah, he is missed by many...............................Bo..................

Have been sending my warmest Aloha to him and his family and wishing him the best.

Thanks Bo..
send him Aloha to for all the UU members..I hope things work out for him and his family..

That's very nice of you Bo. Kimo tells me that his Van Pelt Uke is awesome!!

Top Bottom