Martin Taro Patch

garyg

Reaction score
So I ended up buying that pre-32 Martin 2K taro patch that was on ebay recently. It is in great shape, sounds wonderful with four strings but the bridge slots are so narrow that I can't get the second string in some of the slots (the taro bridge only has four string slots for the eight strings). I'm using Fremont black line mediums but does anyone have any suggestions for thinner diameter strings that still have good tone? I'll be taking the uke to my luthier anyway because it has two cracks that need to be cleated, so he can ream the holes out a bit, but wondered if it could be solved with strings alone. BTW the bridge slots aren't worn, it's the opposite, the holes are too narrow, probably because the uke looks like it hardly been played.TIA, g2

Four string slots for eight strings ? How do the strings stay separate , is the saddle made like a nut?

Four string slots for eight strings ? How do the strings stay separate , is the saddle made like a nut?

Both the saddle and nut have slots for eight strings, four courses of two strings.

YOu can file the slots with a metal nail file....

Thanks Stan, on this uke I'll leave that to a pro, but the problem isn't the width of the slots, it's the hole where you put the string knot, that needs to be opened up a bit to accommodate two knots. g2

Congratulations on your new acquisition! I have never had a taropatch, but I have a thought. What would happen if you tied the two strings together instead of knotting both strings for each slot seperately? Maybe I am way off, but it made me wonder.

Thanks Guys, that's a great suggestion. I have a set of Worth Browns too. David, given the cracks, I've been a bit shy about putting all eight strings on it because of the cracks. They go with the grain, but I wanted to have them cleated first. Unfortunately my luthier is out of town for another 10 days or so. cheers, g2

Ukulelezaza Rockin' The Patch!

Would be interested to hear your thoughts, Gary, about the multiple strings when you get 'er up and running.

Top Bottom