Baritone strings - online sellers for all types?

ichadwick

Reaction score
I'm looking for several sets of baritone strings and so far can't find an onlinne seller who offers ALL the types I want:

Low D/wound 3rd & 4th
Low D/unwound (or perhaps just wound 4th, but unwound 3rd)
High D/unwound all
High D/wound 3rd

Any suggestions? I though Aquila made both wound and unwound sets, but most of the sellers I've checked just offer the wound versions. Not sure if the Aquila banjo uke set is wound or unwound.

I'd rather get them all from the same seller at the same time to keep postage costs low. Want at least two sets of each, maybe four-six for the Low D sets.

Don't care for Martin strings, by the way. Would prefer Aquila of something equally loud and bright.

Thanks

Check out JustStrings and Elderly.
I checked Juststrings and they don't have all the mixes I want (and banjo uke set is not described).

Never use Elderly - WAY too high shipping costs for Canada. Higher to ship from conUS than from Hawaii! They clearly don't want Canadian business.

Still looking...

Doesn't Southcoast offer all those options? If they don't, you could email Dirk. Maybe he'll mix something up for you.

Ian, I'm not all that familiar with the Bari strings but I don't think all the combinations you want are available prepackaged. Have you tried Strings By Mail or Just Strings? You might wanna also check with Dirk @Southcoast Ukes. Another would be Guadalupe Strings . . . you may have to do a custom order for what you want.

I don't buy sets for the baritone because nobody makes what I want. I use a mix of Seaguar leaders, D'Addario unwound classical guitar strings, and Thomastic-Infeld flat wound classical guitar strings, to cover the bases I need for both my linear (with wound basses) and reentrant (with no wound strings) baritones.

Anyway, JustStrings.com and StringsByMail.com and AnglerSupply.com meet all my needs for baritones - woops, AnglersSupply.com is now a domain for sale - I guess I'll have to find a new supplier for the Seaguar leaders. :)

If you're looking for all the varieties of Ko'Olau strings try HMS (ukulelesite.com) - they seem to stock all the Ko'Olaus strings including the "weird" ones like tenor sets with two wound strings. :) I use them for most of my string needs outside of what I get from Seaguar or Thomastic-Infeld.

(BTW, if you want more info on the sets I use just let me know - I think I've posted complete details before but I know how lousy the search facility is here. ) :)

John

Doesn't seem like I'm ever going to get the sets I want pre-packaged, so I may need to cobble some together on my own. Are the D'Addario unwounds good? I might mix them with some Aquilas...

Doesn't seem like I'm ever going to get the sets I want pre-packaged, so I may need to cobble some together on my own. Are the D'Addario unwounds good? I might mix them with some Aquilas...

The D'Addario Pro Arte extra high tension unwounds were pretty decent - I'd say probably as good as the trebles in most uke sets - but once I tried the fluorocarbon they pretty much captured me - especially after I started using Thomastik-Infeld flat wound strings as the fluorocarbons balance pretty well against those.

John

I specifically buy for resale standard sets and individuals so a person can get what they want. Both Reds and whites are available, as well as guitar strings. Shipping in a priority box takes about the same amount of time as First Class but costs twice as much.

Is what you have posted really what you want or was that sort of a "catch all" question?

I'm looking for several sets of baritone strings and so far can't find an onlinne seller who offers ALL the types I want:

Low D/wound 3rd & 4th
Low D/unwound (or perhaps just wound 4th, but unwound 3rd)
High D/unwound all
High D/wound 3rd

Any suggestions? I though Aquila made both wound and unwound sets, but most of the sellers I've checked just offer the wound versions. Not sure if the Aquila banjo uke set is wound or unwound.

I'd rather get them all from the same seller at the same time to keep postage costs low. Want at least two sets of each, maybe four-six for the Low D sets.

Don't care for Martin strings, by the way. Would prefer Aquila of something equally loud and bright.

Thanks

Ian, have you looked at HMS? They have Aquila, Ko'olau, D'Addario baritone strings.

Not yet - thanks for the suggestion.

it wasn't a catch-all: I live in a small town a couple of hours north of Toronto, so my options are VERY limited. The local music store stocks Martins, and some D'Addario strings, but special orders are out unless I want a box of at least 12. I want to get strings for baritones and tenors, get numerous sets all at once to keep shipping costs low. I play low/high D and low/high G, both wound and unwound sets, so I want a real mix. WOuld prefer to find a reliable seller I can turn to over and over for my string and maybe other accessory needs.

The only one I can't deal with is Elderly Instruments. I'm open to every other suggestion. So far, none have had ALL the types and sets I want in one order. Still looking.

HMS has very reasonable mailing costs. For 2 sets mailings costs within USA is about $1. Not sure what costs are to Canada.

I never find all my strings at one place.

Top Bottom