Ukulele Security

70sSanO

Reaction score
For a number of years I have locked my ukulele case when I was traveling. I would usually use a bike cable and secure it so something secure in the hotel room.

I recently did a little internet searching on bike locks and I was blown away by how easily thieves can steal a bike. This has prompted me to re-evaluate locking my ukulele.

Here is how I used to lock it...

View attachment 52976

After my research, I decided to use some of the chain I use for my bike. For a bike it is low security because it is only 1/4" chain with brass locks, but it is much better than a bike cable...

View attachment 52977

Eventually I will probably go to a bike u-lock, but I will need to find one wide enough to fit over the case and then add an end piece, like a pipe to get it snug to the case...

View attachment 52978

I'm not quite ready for RFID, but someday when it sends out a signal, it may be worth it.

John

The best bike/scooter/motorcycle lock I have run across is a Xena disc brake alarm with a thick cable. Notwithstanding the fact that relatively few ukes are equipped with disc brakes, the alarms could easily be affixed to a case. The key to their operation is the 120 db schriek they emit as soon as they are moved.

For a number of years I have locked my ukulele case when I was traveling. I would usually use a bike cable and secure it so something secure in the hotel room.

I recently did a little internet searching on bike locks and I was blown away by how easily thieves can steal a bike. This has prompted me to re-evaluate locking my ukulele.

Here is how I used to lock it...

View attachment 52976

After my research, I decided to use some of the chain I use for my bike. For a bike it is low security because it is only 1/4" chain with brass locks, but it is much better than a bike cable...

View attachment 52977

Eventually I will probably go to a bike u-lock, but I will need to find one wide enough to fit over the case and then add an end piece, like a pipe to get it snug to the case...

View attachment 52978

I'm not quite ready for RFID, but someday when it sends out a signal, it may be worth it.

John

A good coated cable is harder to cut through than a chain. Bolt cutters make fast work of the latter. There is no truly perfect lock for a good uke. I would not leave it in a room when you travel if you are carrying a "K" brand or luthier build.

The best "uke lock" is probably a Lanikai or maybe a Mahalo sticker on the outside of the case... :)

John

PacSafe makes a number of devices that would likely fit around a uke case and dissuade a casual thief. Dedicated thieves are surprisingly crafty—just search the Internet for stories. If you do something for a living (as opposed to a hobby), you tend to get good at it. Thievery is no exception.

Your ukulele in chains looks like a Houdini escape trick! Hmm..."Ukulele in Chains" sounds like a great club name...

When I travel with my ukulele I just bring it with me... to business meetings, lunches, dinners, conferences, golfing, whatever.

Maybe it would be safer to leave your ukulele with someone at the front desk of the hotel instead of your room if you're that worried about it.

Mahalo,

Don

Pippin... you are right that bolt bolt cutters (18"/24") will go through the 1/4" hardened chain. But unless it is armored or titanium cable, hardened chain is much better than a bike cable.

I'm not paranoid about anyone taking my uke when I travel, but I do want to lock it up. It is probably safer in the hotel room than being carried around town or left in a hot car. It is also good for ukers to think that their prized possession could walk off.

I do like the suggestion about a 120 db alarm as long as it didn't go off too easily or when trying to disarm it. Then I'd be worried someone would take it just to throw it in the pool to shut the thing off.

And, if I was paranoid, I get a chain made out of this stuff...

View attachment 52988

John

What good is a bike lock when you can just open the case.. I'd connect a stun gun to the handle and when the case gets out of range it goes off...of course a remote control like a car alarm :)

Keep it in a Banjo case.

Where do you travel that you have to secure it? What are you traveling with? A Moore Bettah?

Keep it in an accordion case.

Typically we travel to places like San Francisco, San Diego, Cambria, Seattle, Portland, etc. Stay at decent hotels. And no I don't have a Moore Bettah.

If we use a vehicle without a trunk I'll lock my ukulele and laptop up in the car. I've locked my ukulele up on trips for years. The biggest problem with the cable was not being able to bend it around corners and getting it tight enough so it couldn't be wiggled off of the case. The Abus chain seems like an improvement, so I thought I would pass it on.

I never thought what I was doing was extreme, I honestly thought most people locked their stuff up.

John

To be honest I never lock up a ukulele in its case....I see you are securing the case which is better but if someone is intent on stealing it they will and if case is held up good they would probably damage ukulele trying to remove it from its locked position. I also never would leave it locked in a car or trunk unless you weather is cool and no sun...I can say most major hotels have very honest workers and I have left up to 75,000.00 worth of loose ukuleles in my hotel room when doing festivals..

Top Bottom