Ukulele Tuning CGDA

ROUGHRIDER13

Reaction score
If I use a CGDA tuning for a ukulele will it be tuned just like my cello, with each fret space being a half-step?

Thanks

Pretty much but tuning it to CGDA is tough since you'll have to find the right strings for the right tension. Though, I'm sure you've already thought about that.

I've tried the Aquila CGDA and GDAE strings, and had a lot of fun with them. Scales and melodic patterns are easier, and it's great to hear such low notes coming out of a Uke. The downside is the chords don't tend to sound as good as standard linear tuning due to the notes being spaced apart more widely.

But will you be able to play chords or tabs arranged for uke? Why not master the standard tuning and chords before going to the fringe side? You might just as easily get a mandolin rather than a uke.

But will you be able to play chords or tabs arranged for uke? Why not master the standard tuning and chords before going to the fringe side? You might just as easily get a mandolin rather than a uke.

Yeah. That'll be my excuse to get another uke at some point.

FYI, mandolins are not tuned to fifths. Mandolas and mandocellos are, however.

Yeah. That'll be my excuse to get another uke at some point.

FYI, mandolins are not tuned to fifths. Mandolas and mandocellos are, however.

Funny. I always thought mandolins are most commonly tuned GDAE, same as a violin which is in perfect fifths. At least that's the tuning used by everyone I know who plays a mandolin.

Last edited:
Then what do you call GDAE tuning ? That is standard mandolin tuning.

My bad, I meant fifths tuning relevant to me, CGDA, what mandolas, tenor guitars, violas, cellos, mandocellos, tenor banjos, and tenor lutes use.

Top Bottom