Space, the final frontier

rreffner

Reaction score
OK, so I'm watching the news this evening when I see this guy in the space station singing while his acoustic guitar is rotating freely in the weightless environment. Made me wonder, what effect would the environment have on playing? Increased sustain? Thoughts?

Made me wonder, what effect would the environment have on playing? Increased sustain? Thoughts?

This is my guess based on a basic level of physics courses, but a lack of gravity shouldn't alter the sound that much actually so long as he's playing inside the space station surrounded by a normal amount of air. Take the guitar outside while wearing the suit however and things would be drastically different. Probably not the most exciting thing to do though since it shouldn't produce any sound :p

I just hope the guy's got kids...how cool would it be to say "that's MY dad"??

I just hope the guy's got kids...how cool would it be to say "that's MY dad"??

Not if they're teenagers! More likely "Dad, you,re embarrassing me" :biglaugh:

I'm with Loudster - there might be a very tiny increase in sustain but you would need a really sophisticated setup to be able to detect it. And, for that matter, if the player was allowing himself to spin as he played it would likely result in a tiny decrease in sustain (for the same reason that a spinning wheel will slow if you turn it across it's axis).

John

Top Bottom