So - I finally got my 3/4 electric - now after some advice!

ChaosToo

Reaction score
It's a Squier Mini Strat

601002_10151621639648447_1949322489_n.jpg

969983_10151621639943447_866640082_n.jpg

It was tuned to the 'standard' E tuning, but the strings were REALLY floppy (no idea of the string gauge that it came with), so I tuned it up to ADGCE, based on info I got off the 'net.

I then started messing about and did the inevitable - snapped a flipping string! :mad:

So what are my options on new strings to suit?

Ideally I'd like it tuned 'standard', because I can use my normal clip on tuner - but is there a gauge of string that I need to look for so that the strings aren't floppy?

Also, and I'm finding the string spacing very tight for my 'not very accurate' finger placement on fretting - is that due to it being a 3/4 size (40mm nut size) or just as a consequence of me being a bit clumsy?

Looking forward to your replies..... :D

Yes, I finally got around to properly setting up my 7 year old's squire mini. The stock strings are a crazy light gauge. Combined with the short scale, the tension was just too low... especially for the heavy hand of my kid.

I put a set of .10s on, adjusted the neck relief, fixed the string height at the nut, and brought the action way down. I may try some .11s on there in a few months, but the playability has improved a thousand fold.

You should be able play it at standard tuning. Change the strings.

I have a 34" short scale bass....I just tossed D'addario the scale length and they recommended the proper gauge strings. Great people, fast response. You've probably solved the problem by now, but I'd still recommend checking with D'Addario

There are string tension charts available online which is great, you put in the inches and it calculates according to tuning.

I put a set of .10s on, adjusted the neck relief, fixed the string height at the nut, and brought the action way down. I may try some .11s on there in a few months, but the playability has improved a thousand fold.

For the sake of the OP who may be new to this, it's actually 0.010 or 0.011 (inches), which refers to the gauge of the high E string.

Guitar String Gauges

Top Bottom