concert fluke and worth low g

bnolsen

Reaction score
Today I decided to change out the default aquila strings on my plain plastic fluke for a set of worth browns with low g. I notice the low 'g' won't slot into the nut or the bridge, too fat. What's the safest way to widen up those spots a little without doing any damaage?

My original flea didn't have a removable saddle, but my current tenor flea does. I have one saddle I modified, and used with some worth low G strings. I have spare saddles so I can go back to a un modified one when I want. I usually use PHD low G strings that have a smaller diameter and don't need modification on the saddle. If you have a removable saddle you can get more if you ask the flea market music store. Hope this helps.

Before you change the nut and bridge permanently, make sure you want this to be a low g uke. I tried a low G string on my Kanile'a, and it didn't have a removable nut. I let the wide string sit on top of the narrow groove, and everything sounded fine. If it doesn't hurt the intonation or action, I would leave it alone. I ended up switching back to re-entrant tuning on that uke, so I was glad I didn't widen the slot.

–Lori

I ditto what Lori says regarding NOT altering the slot until you're absolutely sure that's what you want!

Top Bottom