PDA

View Full Version : concert fluke and worth low g

bnolsen
05-14-2013, 06:24 AM
Today I decided to change out the default aquila strings on my plain plastic fluke for a set of worth browns with low g. I notice the low 'g' won't slot into the nut or the bridge, too fat. What's the safest way to widen up those spots a little without doing any damaage?

Newportlocal
05-14-2013, 07:15 AM
My original flea didn't have a removable saddle, but my current tenor flea does. I have one saddle I modified, and used with some worth low G strings. I have spare saddles so I can go back to a un modified one when I want. I usually use PHD low G strings that have a smaller diameter and don't need modification on the saddle. If you have a removable saddle you can get more if you ask the flea market music store. Hope this helps.

Lori
05-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Before you change the nut and bridge permanently, make sure you want this to be a low g uke. I tried a low G string on my Kanile'a, and it didn't have a removable nut. I let the wide string sit on top of the narrow groove, and everything sounded fine. If it doesn't hurt the intonation or action, I would leave it alone. I ended up switching back to re-entrant tuning on that uke, so I was glad I didn't widen the slot.

–Lori

David Newton
05-14-2013, 08:34 AM
You can fold a little strip of medium sandpaper in half, and carefully drag it through the string slot. It doesn't take much, check the fit every 3 or 4 "drags".

edgar44
05-23-2013, 05:50 AM
I ditto what Lori says regarding NOT altering the slot until you're absolutely sure that's what you want!