NUD: My First Ukulele

thaidye39

Reaction score
After reading suggestions on this forum for the better half of a year, I decided to pull the trigger and purchase a Makala Dolphin from Uke Republic.

The first came with some buzzing, so I returned/exchanged for one that arrived today.. with a broken string! I can't believe my luck haha.

At any rate, I am still pretty excited that it's finally here.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a case/gig bag? The sleeve that came with it doesn't seem very "durable."

makaladolphin.jpg

Last edited:
That's disappointing, and surprising (the buzzing and broken string, not your assessment of the "dust cover"). Anyway, two gig bags that I like are the Fusion bag (soprano size $35) and the Kaces bag (soprano size $19.95). Both are available from Elderly - elderly.com. I'd post the links, but my equipment is not cooperating. There's another one that's also $19.95 - the Rockbag student line gig bag.

Good luck with the Dolphin. I love mine.

Last edited:
That's disappointing, and surprising (the buzzing and broken string, not your assessment of the "dust cover"). Anyway, two gig bags that I like are the Fusion bag (soprano size $35) and the Kaces bag (soprano size $19.95). Both are available from Elderly - elderly.com. I'd post the links, but my equipment is not cooperating. There's another one that's also $19.95 - the Rockbag student line gig bag.

Good luck with the Dolphin. I love mine.

I e-mailed Mike and he's sending me a set of replacement strings.

Thanks for the luck! I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it yet - the quality, intonation and such. I guess time will tell :)

Thank you for the bag suggestions, also. I'll look into them.

Congrats on your new dolphin....yes I wouldn't mind with the factory strings....I'd slap on some high grade martins M600, worth clears, Oasis, or freemont strings...available at Elderly Music
As for a case or bag, if you are just keeping it in the house, a gig bag is sufficent if you don't have small kids or pets and you are careful....otherwise get a vinyl uke case whic will do just great
it may cost as much or more than your uke though...

Congrats on your first uke! I hope you'll be properly excited once you got it stringed up and all and start playing your first chords. :D I know I was when I got my first uke last week, ha!

Congrats to your first uke and welcome to UU.

I suspect your second uke is in the works . . . . you're one of us now!

Welcome aboard-glad that you are here.
You might try Aquila strings on that uke. They are usually available at Guitar Center or if you have a decent music store nearby.

Last edited:
Welcome to uke playing! That Dolphin should serve you well. At least until UAS occurs.

Looked back at your previous posts and I have to say it took you long enough to make the plunge! But I'm sure you'll be glad you did. :D

I e-mailed Mike and he's sending me a set of replacement strings.

Thanks for the luck! I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it yet - the quality, intonation and such. I guess time will tell :)
Since you said you play CG, changing strings should be nothing big for you.

But let's be honest, you bought one of the cheaper ukes out there. Don't expect a lot. People talk about Dolphins being great for their price point, but they are still cheap instruments and you get what you pay for.

Two thoughts on a case...

- It's a cheap uke and you don't need a good case, so a cheap one will suffice, just something for transport you can sling over your shoulder and keep the dust off of the uke when you're not playing.

- Cases are pretty much hot swappable down the line for any uke of the same size, so investing in a decent case now is something you can use later if and when you upgrade to a better uke (and odds are you will), so you shouldn't worry about it costing more than your Dolphin.

Either way of thinking works for me. :)

Looked back at your previous posts and I have to say it took you long enough to make the plunge! But I'm sure you'll be glad you did. :D

Since you said you play CG, changing strings should be nothing big for you.

But let's be honest, you bought one of the cheaper ukes out there. Don't expect a lot. People talk about Dolphins being great for their price point, but they are still cheap instruments and you get what you pay for.

Two thoughts on a case...

- It's a cheap uke and you don't need a good case, so a cheap one will suffice, just something for transport you can sling over your shoulder and keep the dust off of the uke when you're not playing.

- Cases are pretty much hot swappable down the line for any uke of the same size, so investing in a decent case now is something you can use later if and when you upgrade to a better uke (and odds are you will), so you shouldn't worry about it costing more than your Dolphin.

Either way of thinking works for me. :)

I'm not worried about replacing the strings - it's no big deal :)

As far as the Dolphin being a "cheaper" uke, I agree and knew that going into the purchase. I think I was a bit mislead by all of the praises sung about it - it'll be a nice travel/take to work uke.

With that being said, I'd like a "gig bag" type deal for me to sling it to and from work.

Thanks for your reply!

Civil tseeLon

Congrats to your first uke and welcome to UU.

I suspect your second uke is in the works . . . . you're one of us now!

You said it! I'm a fingerstyle/classical guitarist - already loving the idea of ukulele/playing/etc.

I'm thinking of a concert/tenor for my "good" uke (still just a hobby).

Any suggestions? ;)

I'd like to continue my business with Mike at Uke Republic - he's a very lovely gent.

Congrats on your new dolphin....yes I wouldn't mind with the factory strings....I'd slap on some high grade martins M600, worth clears, Oasis, or freemont strings...available at Elderly Music
As for a case or bag, if you are just keeping it in the house, a gig bag is sufficent if you don't have small kids or pets and you are careful....otherwise get a vinyl uke case whic will do just great
it may cost as much or more than your uke though...

It came with Aquilas and I'm considering putting on Auroras eventually (I love the idea of those colored little strings on such a fun uke).

I think you're right about the gig bag - I looked into some of the suggestions I've received and think I'm going to go with the Kaces KUKS3 bag. I think it'll be adequate for throwing in the car and taking to work, beach, etc.

Suggestions for uke # 2 of ??????.....Pono, Mainland come to mind........Mike will be happy to guide you!

congrats...I personally wouldn't buy a bag as they are pretty durable. enjoy

I've read that they are pretty durable - but to keep a tuner, chord book, pen/paper, etc. - it's just more of a convenience so I don't have to carry a bunch of things. :)

Nice, the white ones are pretty! Dolphins are some of the best cheap ukes available, and their "fun factor" is hard to beat at any price. :nana:

I decided to go with the "kaces" gig bag!

kacesgigbag.jpg

You've all been so helpful and welcoming - Thank You!

You said it! I'm a fingerstyle/classical guitarist - already loving the idea of ukulele/playing/etc.

I'm thinking of a concert/tenor for my "good" uke (still just a hobby).

Any suggestions? ;)

I'd like to continue my business with Mike at Uke Republic - he's a very lovely gent.

I don't think you'd want my suggestion for a concert.

I'm a big Rick Turner fanboy so I would say his nano jumbo concert with a longneck.

Top Bottom