PDA

View Full Version : My Breedlove Ukulele/ Bend, Oregon Adventure!

Mim
05-15-2013, 02:05 AM
Super excited! About to leave in an hour to go to the airport to fly across country to Bend, Oregon! There is a Breedlove retreat. It will be a whirlwind! Fly all day, 2 packed days, and I fly back!

I get to meet the builders, talk about some ways to improve the uke line, hand pick some tonewoods, and the ultimate goal is to have my own exclusive line of Breedlove Ukuleles, with hand-picked wood, custom inlays, truly unique pieces in look and sound.

Not going for super blinged out, but a great mix of tone and the beauty of the natural wood... with a little subtle bling on the side!

Anyway, thought I would start a thread and I will post pictures periodically in case anyone want to go on this adventure with me! I am super excited about it and plan to meet some amazing people!

teruterubouzu
05-15-2013, 02:18 AM
Looking forward to hearing more about this, Mim. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

kvehe
05-15-2013, 02:33 AM
This will be great fun for all of us!

dkcrown
05-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Sounds great Mim. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Enjoy your breif time in Bend. I have a friend that lives there and he says that it is very close to being paradise

CTurner
05-15-2013, 03:05 AM
Not going for super blinged out, but a great mix of tone and the beauty of the natural wood... with a little subtle bling on the side!

Just the take on ukes I like.:)

mailman
05-15-2013, 03:10 AM
Have fun, Miss Mim! I look forward to seeing the pictures of your adventure, and, eventually, of your own exclusive line of ukes....

PereBourik
05-15-2013, 04:39 AM
Traveling mercies Mim! Thanks for sharing the adventure with us.

Steedy
05-15-2013, 04:40 AM
Sounds awesome, have a great trip!

AKuker
05-15-2013, 05:51 AM
What a kick! Thanks for bringing us along, Mim. Looking forward to it.

Mim
05-15-2013, 06:47 AM
I am used to the Charlotte airport where you can be at security for 45 minutes and they yell at your the whole time. By the time I am up to security I am shoeless, with my laptop in hand, and ready to go. Now my closest airport is Roanoke. 6 gates. I was the only on at security. They smiled and chatted with me and let me drink down my Diet Coke I forgot to finish. Then I spilled it... because, I am a knucklehead, and he nicely went and got paper towels for me. Man... what a difference. Now I am at the charging station charging everything that I could possibly charge in preparation for the long flights. Because I got here an hour and a half early only to take 10 minutes to get to my gate. I am leaving 87 degree weather for 60 degree weather and am carrying a heavy coat for the chili nights. I may have to use it for a pillow on the plane because I slept terrible last night. I was not completely packed and I was too excited to sleep! Woke up at 4:15 and could not go back to sleep for the life of me!!! For now... I have nothing but a picture of my awesome shoes... that for some reason I don't allow myself to wear unless I am going to some sort of music event where they cant get messed up, like NAMM.

Behold the awesomeness of my shoes:

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130515_123533_164.jpg

Oh, and I am thinking of re-stringing my uke in the airport. I brought my Imua soprano, and I have these awesome Lucy's Ukulele Vintage strings. Multi-colored, but clear. Super awesome. I really need to stock these. (I just have not ordered them yet) I stock to Auroras, but they are solid, something about the see through aspect of this seems like they will really look awesome on my uke. I will show you the result when done.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130515_121450_469.jpg

Mim
05-15-2013, 06:50 AM
While I am waiting... yall want to give me ideas for inlay designs? I already got one I am absolutely in love with. But it would be fun to hear what you guys might have ideas about. I don't want anything too complicated, want to keep the cost reasonable. But, if you have any ideas that you don't mind me using, throw them out at me.

ukeeku
05-15-2013, 07:08 AM
- Nerd-a-lele: Each fret marker is a 20 sided dice, with the corresponding number is shown. Then a wizard on the headstock
- Zombie-a-lele: zombie silhouettes walking up the fretboard
thats all for now

gyosh
05-15-2013, 07:11 AM
snippity

Oh, and I am thinking of re-stringing my uke in the airport. I brought my Imua soprano, and I have these awesome Lucy's Ukulele Vintage strings. Multi-colored, but clear. Super awesome. I really need to stock these. (I just have not ordered them yet) I stock to Auroras, but they are solid, something about the see through aspect of this seems like they will really look awesome on my uke. I will show you the result when done.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130515_121450_469.jpg

Those are awesome for teaching kids too!

Might have to break my vow of no more off the shelf ukes for "Mim's" uke.

bborzell
05-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Not sure how popular this thought is but, since you asked, I am not particularly high on ukes as playable art. I have seen M.C. Escher inlays on backs, relief maps of the Hawaiian Islands on tops and headstocks that almost qualify for an R rating. None have been particularly appealing to me as a musical instrument.

I have spent several thousand dollars on an instrument, but would never consider buying an instrument that appears to have more build time in the accoutrements than in the sound quality. Functional inlays like fret markers can be dots or something a bit more expressive; that is OK with me. Vines that run the length of the fretboard are too much, IMO.

Simple headstock logos rate high in my book. The mother of pearl "MP" on my MP tenor is elegant. Similarly, I prefer simple body and fretboard binding. The quality of the work that went into the binding is much more important to me than how much it sparkles.

chrimess
05-15-2013, 07:45 AM
I'd love me a game of thrones themed one-surprised
You are not defaulting to the Taylor Jason Mraz signature 'BeLove' theme.

While I am waiting... yall want to give me ideas for inlay designs? I already got one I am absolutely in love with. But it would be fun to hear what you guys might have ideas about. I don't want anything too complicated, want to keep the cost reasonable. But, if you have any ideas that you don't mind me using, throw them out at me.

sukie
05-15-2013, 07:59 AM
Personally, I think some flamingoes on the Breedloves would be lovely. But that's just me, and you DID ask.

Have a very successful trip, Mim.

ChrisRCovington
05-15-2013, 08:13 AM
I'd love it if you could get them to make a soprano :)

Mim
05-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Not sure how popular this thought is but, since you asked, I am not particularly high on ukes as playable art. I have seen M.C. Escher inlays on backs, relief maps of the Hawaiian Islands on tops and headstocks that almost qualify for an R rating. None have been particularly appealing to me as a musical instrument.

I have spent several thousand dollars on an instrument, but would never consider buying an instrument that appears to have more build time in the accoutrements than in the sound quality. Functional inlays like fret markers can be dots or something a bit more expressive; that is OK with me. Vines that run the length of the fretboard are too much, IMO.

Simple headstock logos rate high in my book. The mother of pearl "MP" on my MP tenor is elegant. Similarly, I prefer simple body and fretboard binding. The quality of the work that went into the binding is much more important to me than how much it sparkles.

I am a "a little goes a long way" type gal. Plus I want to keep the price point reasonable. I like the wood and the sound to stand out. But hoping to have a few appointments on the uke that just makes it a little differant than the run of the mill. The idea I am kicking around right now would just be a simple, but meaningful fret marker change. Though I do admire the playable art, and have nothing against it. I am a lot like you in my personal preferance.

Jim Hanks
05-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Those are some awesome shoes. :cool:

I'm pretty much with bborzell on the inlay issue but not totally opposed to a tasteful honu or something.

Mim
05-15-2013, 09:37 AM
In Atlanta. It is gonna be a long flight from Atlanta to Portland. I hope they have a good in flight movie. Or maybe I can sneak a nap in. Bought a 20 piece chicken McNuggets because it was suprisingly not very expensive for airport food and I know I can save 10 for the middle of my flight and they will still be good. There is an upside to preservatives ;P

Mim
05-15-2013, 09:40 AM
I'd love it if you could get them to make a soprano :)

Hoping for soprano, concert, and tenor. They have made them in custom order only. If I do a run, I would like all 3 sizes.

Mim
05-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Side Note: Just because security will wait for you to chug the 20 oz Diet Coke you forgot you had in your purse... does not mean you should.

Mim
05-15-2013, 09:43 AM
- Nerd-a-lele: Each fret marker is a 20 sided dice, with the corresponding number is shown. Then a wizard on the headstock
- Zombie-a-lele: zombie silhouettes walking up the fretboard
thats all for now

You know... that zombie-a-lele thing... the more I think about it... the more so wrong it is right it seems. :P

UncleElvis
05-15-2013, 09:46 AM
a nice M... or a U and an E...

ukeeku
05-15-2013, 09:47 AM
You know... that zombie-a-lele thing... the more I think about it... the more so wrong it is right it seems. :P
I actually like the idea too.
The other thing we talked about at NAMM. the colored binding strips.
I also feel that the little things like small bridge inlays look cool and classy.
Another inexpensive change could be tuner buttons?

rubber necker
05-15-2013, 10:06 AM
From what I understand Kim Breedlove does not own or build Breedlove guitars/ukuleles anymore,if you want one from him you have to contact him directly

his guitars were beautiful sounding

Mim
05-15-2013, 10:26 AM
From what I understand Kim Breedlove does not own or build Breedlove guitars/ukuleles anymore,if you want one from him you have to contact him directly

his guitars were beautiful sounding

Yes, but he still consults production and they turn out some really good tenors. But there are some other woods and build options to explore. Its parent company is 2 Old Hippies. A great bunch of people there.

Jim Hanks
05-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Side Note: Just because security will wait for you to chug the 20 oz Diet Coke you forgot you had in your purse... does not mean you should.
Bwahahahahahahaha! :rofl: :biglaugh:

haolejohn
05-15-2013, 11:55 AM
My only advise for the breedlove line is a more affordable introductory uke...or get them into the hands of people like you and players. Regular Johns and Janes. I have been tempted to buy one for a long time, but I can not justify the cost when it comes to a guitar maker making a uke. But on bright side they aren't as expensive as the Taylor ukes.

OldePhart
05-15-2013, 01:03 PM

BWAA-HAAA - especially since there is a pretty good chance that once you board you will be sitting on the ramp with the fasten seat belts sign on for about three hours. :) Or maybe that's just because my flights all begin at DFW where they schedule 40 flights to leave between 5:30PM and 5:35PM in spite of the fact that is physically impossible even with multiple parallel runways...

John

OldePhart
05-15-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm very much a non-bling kind of guy; not to be confused with being anti-bling, though, I do love drooling over beautiful inlay as much as the next guy. But, I just don't have great desire to own it. To me, the best bling is just absolutely perfect attention to detail in every little thing; parts that fit perfectly, grain that "works" with the shape, and, above all, good tone and intonation up and down the neck.

So far I've never met a piece of inlay or what have you that have made me want an instrument that I otherwise wouldn't have wanted.

That's not to say that I won't buy a uke with bling, just that the bling doesn't entice me that much and if I get the feeling that the cost of the uke is largely due to bling I'm likely to look for something else.

I am excited about you being hooked up with Breedlove, though. They make excellent guitars - I've never owned one but I've played several and if I hadn't been snared by the ukulele I probably would own a Breedlove guitar or six by now. :)

John

ShakaSign
05-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Hi Mim,

Enjoy your adventure. I own a blem Breedlove American Series tenor and love it. It's currently at the factory undergoing repairs because the first owner added an undersaddle pickup and shaved down the saddle, which impacted its intonation. I love the feel of the uke. The silky smooth satin finish makes its much nicer moving chords up and down the neck, and the radiused fingerboard makes bar chords extremely easy to hold. Definitely, one of the best handling ukes I've ever played. I think Breedlove initially shot themselves in the foot with their pricing and are now trying to correct for that. It definitely should be marketed to professional or gigging musicians, much like how Mya Moe and Pono does, rather than collectors. Additionally, I think they should try other strings. The Worths made my uke sound very trebly and it was somewhat subdued in the mid range. Southcoast Mediums and Soft Mediums make the uke ring. It now is similar to a Pono Pro Classic Spruce/Mahogany with a nice mellow sound that just rings in the mid-range.

Mim
05-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Hi Mim,

Enjoy your adventure. I own a blem Breedlove American Series tenor and love it. It's currently at the factory undergoing repairs because the first owner added an undersaddle pickup and shaved down the saddle, which impacted its intonation. I love the feel of the uke. The silky smooth satin finish makes its much nicer moving chords up and down the neck, and the radiused fingerboard makes bar chords extremely easy to hold. Definitely, one of the best handling ukes I've ever played. I think Breedlove initially shot themselves in the foot with their pricing and are now trying to correct for that. It definitely should be marketed to professional or gigging musicians, much like how Mya Moe and Pono does, rather than collectors. Additionally, I think they should try other strings. The Worths made my uke sound very trebly and it was somewhat subdued in the mid range. Southcoast Mediums and Soft Mediums make the uke ring. It now is similar to a Pono Pro Classic Spruce/Mahogany with a nice mellow sound that just rings in the mid-range.

Excellent feedback and I could not agree more. Everything. And yes, the feel is amazing, and they are work-horses without sacrificing tone. I LOVE them! I am not a tenor girl though, so I would play the tenors and think, "I could keep you." Then I would have to tell myself, "Now Mim... you don't prefer tenors you silly goose."

Fingers crossed to maybe work out a concert for the Mim (my favorite to perform with, with a strap... awwww yeah... that is how I roll... because I get nervous and shake and risk dropping instruments).

Now... the funny thing is... when I was at NAMM I was talking with Kim about the ukes. And I was thinking, "Do I mention what I would like to see? It is his name on the thing." Before I could even bring anything up he brought up all the things I would like to see from the line. So I am like, Awesome! We are on the same page! So, good things should be happening!

Mim
05-15-2013, 05:07 PM
I am in Portland now waiting for my teenie hopper plant to Bend.

I had to remind myself that it is actually just 6:30 when I landed and not 8:30 because it has been a perpetual state of Twilight around here.

Had to go from one end of the airport to the other, but that is cool because there were actually some ukuleles to stop and look at on the way! Check out some of the Made In Oregon ukes!

Wish I took some better pictures, but alas my phone was almost out of battery so I snapped 'em quick!

Still... ukes in the airport! AWESOME-SAUCE!

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130515_194358_848.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130515_194531_366.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130515_194454_117.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130515_194403_565.jpg

myrnaukelele
05-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Have fun in Bend Mim! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures and seeing all the awesome ukes.

Mim
05-15-2013, 05:20 PM
And thanks yall for going on this trip with me. It may sound silly but it gets lonely! Fun to share even the little stuff as I go!

sukie
05-15-2013, 05:31 PM
They sell ukuleles in the Portland, Oregon airport? Really?

I'd love to hear one.

PereBourik
05-15-2013, 05:34 PM
I tried for a job in Bend about 4 years ago. Didn't work out but I really liked that town. The inland Pacific Northwest is an acquired taste: spare, dry, vast. I'm still a little wistful that the job didn't work out.

Mim
05-15-2013, 05:39 PM
They sell ukuleles in the Portland, Oregon airport? Really?

I'd love to hear one.

Not sell, but display. A hand made instruments series of guitars, mados, and ukuleles! Super cool stuff!

AndrewKuker
05-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Not sell, but display. A hand made instruments series of guitars, mados, and ukuleles! Super cool stuff!

Kerry Char and Mark Roberts, cool! I am gonna be in Oregon in July and was gonna stop by their shops. I have had some nice talks with Kim, don't be intimidated, he want's feedback from people like you and he's a humble dude.
It's a very cool thing you're doing. Hope you have a great time.

darylcrisp
05-15-2013, 11:02 PM
i have one of the american series tenors-its an awesome uke-i've played some other brands costing 2 or 3x as much as i have in the breedlove-it does everything very nice.

my preference would be a blank fretboard(no inlay), and some nice quality wood combos.

and maybe a burst pattern on one, and consider an all black with koa binding/koa rosetter, and EIR fretboard-the organic nature of the black and browns would be real nice looking.
d

teruterubouzu
05-16-2013, 02:30 AM
I am in Portland now waiting for my teenie hopper plant to Bend.

I had to remind myself that it is actually just 6:30 when I landed and not 8:30 because it has been a perpetual state of Twilight around here.

Had to go from one end of the airport to the other, but that is cool because there were actually some ukuleles to stop and look at on the way! Check out some of the Made In Oregon ukes!

Wish I took some better pictures, but alas my phone was almost out of battery so I snapped 'em quick!

Still... ukes in the airport! AWESOME-SAUCE!

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130515_194358_848.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130515_194531_366.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130515_194454_117.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130515_194403_565.jpg

That is way cool. It's like they set up that exhibit in honor of your visit.

sukie
05-16-2013, 02:45 AM
Good Morning, Mim!

I call 12!!!!

Mim
05-16-2013, 03:27 AM
Good Morning, Mim!

I call 12!!!!

.haha! You win!

Mim
05-16-2013, 03:49 AM
Got settled in around midnight West Coast time, so like 3am East Coast time. I was too excited the night before so slept maybe 4 hours. Already enjoyed getting to know the 5 people who rode over to the hotel with me. Nice hotel. It has been a long time where I have stayed anywhere where you enter the rooms from the inside instead of just drive up and walk in from the outside. So it was nice and quiet. And I have 2 beds in my room! Choices choices... so I chose the one right in front of the TV and commandeered all the pillows from the other bed. 6 pillows = a comfy good night sleep! I felt so spoiled:

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130515_234240_162.jpg

I am told it is a packed couple of days. So time to hit the free cont. breakfast and then the excitement starts at 8am!

Kanaka916
05-16-2013, 03:54 AM
Have fun Mim . . . and we do expect updates at the end of day.

uke552
05-16-2013, 04:08 AM
Hey Mim, I hope you enjoy your time in our beautiful State. If you had the time to travel the southern Oregon coast line, it would be a journey you would always remember. Have fun and safe travels!

kvehe
05-16-2013, 05:53 AM
Six pillows!!!!! Wow, what fun. I can hardly wait to hear about your adventures and see more pix. ...and btw, I like lovely wood, nice grains, no blingy stuff....

sukie
05-16-2013, 06:54 AM
Mim totally ignored my suggestion of flamingo bling. :-(

Your loss, people.

UncleElvis
05-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Mim totally ignored my suggestion of flamingo bling. :-(

Your loss, people.

I'm with you, sister!

Although, if I ever want some REAL flamingo bling, I'll just plan a daring daytime burglary at your house! Hee!

sukie
05-16-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm with you, sister!

Although, if I ever want some REAL flamingo bling, I'll just plan a daring daytime burglary at your house! Hee!

Crap! Of all people you probably could. You have rellies around here. Crud. No more leaving the doors unlocked.

BlueLatitude
05-16-2013, 07:15 AM
I would buy flamingo bling. Definitely.

sukie
05-16-2013, 07:27 AM
I would buy flamingo bling. Definitely.

You..........I like!

See Mim? There is definite interest for flamingo bling! :-p

UncleElvis
05-16-2013, 07:39 AM
Crap! Of all people you probably could. You have rellies around here. Crud. No more leaving the doors unlocked.

Nah... I'd do it myself... with all the trimmings. I'd even do the Mission: Impossible thing with the bungee cords! In the pool house.

keliiyama
05-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Hi Mim!

I'm heading to Bend next month and staying at the Riverhouse (supposed to have a great steakhouse there). Have a great time figuring out your uke line. Breedlove guitars are so beautiful! Now only if we could get Kevin Ryan to build ukulele;)

hawaii 50
05-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Hi Mim!

I'm heading to Bend next month and staying at the Riverhouse (supposed to have a great steakhouse there). Have a great time figuring out your uke line. Breedlove guitars are so beautiful! Now only if we could get Kevin Ryan to build ukulele;)

Hey Kelii..I was going to ask Kevin Ryan to build me a uke,,but I did not have an extra $12,000.00 in my pocket..haha
his guitars are unreal!

maybe you can get James Goodall or Jim Olson too build you a uke too..haha

have you seen how many local guitars players play Breedlove guitars ..quite a bit..but I have not seen or played a uke yet? how about you

Mim
05-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Having an amazing time. The factory is super impressive. The people are amazing. Check back tonight... I need help picking tone wood combinations.

Mim
05-16-2013, 02:09 PM
OK! Let me tell you! The custom shop is overwhelming. I am surrounded by so many amazing woods. It is hard to know where to begin. Making my final selections tomorrow.

So... this is where yall come in!!!

I would love your ideas!!! Or what combinations you have heard that you love!

Which tonewoods would you choose (keep in mind, it can be all solid of one tonewood, or different top/back & sides.

Tonewoods for the Top:
(Ranked in order of costliness)

Sitka Spruce
Western Red Cedar
Honduran Mahogany
Englemann Spruce
Figured Walnut
Bear Claw Sitka Spruce
Myrtlewood
Port Orford Cedar
Redwood
European Spruce
German Spruce
Adirondack Sprice
Figured Koa
Moon Spruve
Sinker Redwood

Tonewoods for the Back & Sides:
(Ranked in order of costliness)

Sapele Mahogany
Honduran Mahogany
Indian Rosewood
Figured Sapele
Figured Walnut
Figured Maple
Cocobolo
Madagascar Rosewood
Myrtlewood
Quilted Bubinga
Quilted Maple/ Birdseye
Ziricote
Striped Ebony
Figured Koa
Brazillian Rosewood

Mim
05-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Tonewood ideas I am kicking around today:

Sinker Redwood top, Ebony Back and sides. BIG tone, a lot of punch. And... just plain sexy.
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130516_123811_746.jpg

This left is a piece of Walnut I have fallen in love with. I think I am going to make a set of non bookmatched, but matching back and sides concert and soprano out of this piece. Me and Tom Bedell talked about it. He is thinking it might be a really neat tone.
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130516_123840_373.jpg

Two Myrtle cuts I love. I just do. The one on the right does not look like much in the picture, but has this amazing radiating bookmatched flame.

That being said... would you do all Myrtle or a different tone top? Discuss:

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130516_123826_592.jpg

Redwood, Indian Rosewood. The Rosewood is a great cut. Whatcha think?

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_20130516_120729_025.jpg

And yes... sopranos and concerts are coming. The molds are currently being made. Some great things coming down the pike with that!!!

Let me tell you how impressed I am with Tom Bedell, the whole company, the whole factory, and every worker. Met the guys who would be working on my ukes. They love their instruments. Just, a great place to be.

Going to pin down a few more specs and ideas tomorrow. Some great things are in the works.

chrimess
05-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Redwood ebony for sure.

Mim
05-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Redwood ebony for sure.

COULD YOU JUST DIE?!

And seriously... it does not show in the picture. WISH I had a better camera. But there are some really great dark lines running through the Redwood that make it compliment the Ebony soooo much! Everyone in the room when they saw what I had went... "Oooooooooo" And one dealer, it became the joke that he was going to take it. So in love with those 2 cuts of wood. And I think I have enough to make 4 ukes out of it. 2 sopranos, a concert, and a tenor.

Steedy
05-16-2013, 02:43 PM
1st choice: Figured Koa all-around, with Maple binding
2nd choice: Western Cedar top, with Brazilian Rosewood back and sides, and Koa binding

I'm easy to please. :cool:

Jiva
05-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Oh, I'm in love....that redwood and ebony has stolen my heart......what a beautiful combo. Between middle and bright in tone, I think. The redwood would slightly warm up the bright ebony hardwood....correct me if I am wrong.
I'll take a tenor please!!!!!

kvehe
05-16-2013, 02:55 PM
OMG, I love the walnut!

OldePhart
05-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Either Englemann Spruce or Sinker Redwood for the top and Walnut for the sides and back would float my boat - so would an all walnut, for that matter...

Edit...yeah...I think all walnut would probably be my first choice...

John

Doc_J
05-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Sinker redwood and ziricote!

teruterubouzu
05-16-2013, 03:59 PM
The wood is just so beautiful. Love that last photo especially. Sigh.

GASguy
05-16-2013, 04:00 PM
I have a sinker redwood macassar ebony Taylor Grand Symphony guitar; I sure would love a ukulele to match.

The walnut is beautiful also, maybe a nice concert in all walnut.

I have a Kim Breedlove signature in myrtle and bearclaw spruce; it just rings!

UncleElvis
05-16-2013, 04:02 PM
My brains are leaking out of my ears. I have no way... no capacity left... of choosing.
Koa ebony cedar so pretty want want want how do I get can I have please give me now! is what is going through my head.

You've ruined me, woman!

mailman
05-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Miss Mim, they're all so beautiful! Given that I can't afford one, anyway, I won't even offer suggestions. I imagine anything that you choose and they build is going to be a winner....

keliiyama
05-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Affordable: Western Red Cedar, Cocobolo

High End: Sinker Redwood/German Spruce, Brazilian Rosewood

UkerDanno
05-16-2013, 04:53 PM
koa's the only way to go...

BlueLatitude
05-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Sinker Redwood. Ebony. Concert.

sukie
05-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Sinker Redwood. Ebony. Concert.

With a tiny flamingo? :-)

I'm done now.

equina
05-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Not sure whether striped ebony is the same as macassar ebony. Here's my list:

Dream Combo:
Adi Spruce-Macassar Ebony
Adi Spruce-Cocobolo
German Spruce-Cocobolo
German Spruce-Myrtle
Redwood-Myrtle
All Koa

Mid-Range:
Western Red Cedar-Macassar Ebony
Sitka Spruce-Myrtle
Sitka Spruce-Koa
All Myrtle

Low-Cost:
Sitka Spruce-Indian Rosewood
All Sapele

Mim
05-16-2013, 07:07 PM
I am having so much fun reading your answers! Really gives me something to think about and to work with for tomorrow. Man, tomorrow is going to be nuts trying to get all the specs down for my ukes. But super excited about it. And it is exciting that my Breedlove peeps are excited about it as well.

Let me tell you what an amazing time I am having and what an amazing night this has been. It is just super cool to hear of people's stories from when they made a move to the music instrument industry and why. I thought my ice cream/ ukulele shop beginning was unusual, but man, there are some amazing dealers who happened to have these amazing starts to their businesses as well. And to hear about the different artists they have played with and worked with is super fun!

And Tom Bedell has to be the coolest guy to ever meet! Seriously. This guy has so much passion for the business and for what he is doing with the Two Old Hippies parent company that Breedlove and Bedell Guitars is under. They really have a lot of heart and soul into this business. I need a lot more time to post and show off the pictures, so I will do that later. But I have taken a ton. The factory is amazing and the people here are so awesome. I am having a great time.

BlueLatitude
05-17-2013, 03:19 AM
With a tiny flamingo? :-)

I'm done now.

A tiny flamingo would push me right over the edge! :drool:

NewKid
05-17-2013, 04:01 AM
Maybe you should move to Oregon? I'm thinking about it now.

I just saw a Talsma tenor with Koa top and Zircote back and sides that looked awesome - a unique combo.

All Walnut is also on my list. Thanks for sharing your trip!

Mim
05-17-2013, 04:49 AM
A tiny flamingo would push me right over the edge! :drool:

If you want a uke with a tiny flamingo... let me know!!! Hehe... we can have one built. You pick the wood combo. Only tenor now, but concert and soprano VERY VERY VERY soon. And... we can decide of how exactly you want the flamingo.

That is the amazing thing. I have the connections now. We can get a uke designed for you. Their wood lady has an eye. She is amazing. And she knows what woods sound and look amazing and tone tests them. The red cedar tops I have picked out sound like a flipping bass drum. It is amazing. It is cool how you can tone test the woods before you even put them on the uke to decide if you think they will sound good together. So I am matching tone with looks. But man, the piece of red cedar I have. If you heard it. You would be amazed.

So that is an option now yall! How cool is that? :)

I am picking out woods this morning, so if anybody wants to see any particular cuts of wood, text me a 704-238-3555 and I can text you back some sexy pictures. I am not saying you have to buy or order, but even if it is just curiosity. I seriously will be camped out in the custom wood room and would love to take some pictures for you!!!

Mim
05-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Ok, In the works:

I was able to maximize space, get to know the custom wood expert at Breedlove, and I have some awesome ukes being made. First the tenors will be made.

A Redwood/Indian Rosewood tenor. Simple specs. Rosewood rosette and binding.

A Moon Spruce/ Figured Myrtle tenor. with Koa Binding and Rosette.

A Sinker Redwood/ Ebony Tenor with a slotted headstock, Ebony Rosette and binding.

No abalone on any. Going to do a spoked rosette on all of these (I hope spoked, we are in the works on that)

Looking to do a graduated top for an evenness of tone, side sound port in the Breedlove style on at least one of them, and we are going to work on the weight of the instruments (a lot of people complain about the heaviness).

All these ukes will have sister ukes. The Sinker/Ebony and the Moon Spruce/ Myrtle will have 2 sopranos and a concert to match once the molds are finalized. The Redwood/ Rosewood will have a Concert sister. Then I will have a figured Walnut Concert and Tenor being made with a non-bookmatched top, but matched to the back. And it is going to look amazing.

Keeping all the finishes a semi-gloss and all wood appointments other than the inlays which will be an offset fret marker with a 12th fret design that I will share once the mock-up is approved.

Some amazing things happening within the company with some great and positive people. Moving forward for sure in a really good way!

bborzell
05-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Sounds to me like I'm gonna need to liquidate one or two of the guitar/mndolin herd. That redwood/ebony/slothead sounds appealing.

mds725
05-17-2013, 07:04 PM
I don't know anything about Breedlove ukuleles, but I recently bought a Breedlove dreadnaught guitar (solid cedar top, solid rosewood back and sides) and it sounds and feels wonderful. I hope someday you make a Breedlove baritone. :)

Have a great time on your trip!

darylcrisp
05-17-2013, 08:55 PM
the Moon Spruce/Figured Myrtle sounds excellent. I bet it will be a fingerstyle champ.

again, i am loving the base model american series Tenor i acquired recently-sitka/sapele. it does everything really well, sounds great, build quality is excellent-don't see how it could be better.

Mim, you are going to love these when they get finished.
i am interested to know the final cost of the moon spruce/myrtle tenor-i'll send you a PM with my email.

thanks
d

iDavid
05-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Do you have an idea of the prices range of these ukes? Can't wait to see them.

strumsilly
05-18-2013, 03:31 AM
this is mindBENDINg. I have been dreaming Breedlove, really been wanting to try a uke[tenor] with a radiused fretboard. I'm more of a no bling guy, would be seriously interested in A" Redwood/Indian Rosewood tenor. Simple specs. Rosewood rosette and binding." the ebony back and sides would be nice too, or maple, or nevermind... just keep us posted, can hardly wait to see the finished products and prices. I'm saving my pennies.

Mim
05-18-2013, 06:00 AM
I don't know anything about Breedlove ukuleles, but I recently bought a Breedlove dreadnaught guitar (solid cedar top, solid rosewood back and sides) and it sounds and feels wonderful. I hope someday you make a Breedlove baritone. :)

Have a great time on your trip!

I loved the training... the oooooze love for what they do, for music, and for the instrument. I will be posting some factory pictures when I get home. A whole warehouse full of artisans that really take each part of the instrument building process super seriously. And let me tell you how fun it was getting to know Tom Bedell (Kim is in England, wish I could have spent time with him, but asked for him when he gets back to go over every aspect of the build, which they are excited to dive into).

Their product line guy says Breedlove has to appeal to the mind, eyes, heart, and hand. And man does it. They really do have a great feel. We are going to lighten up my models for as much resonance as possible and we are going to try some really great innovative things, like the graduated top, to really see if we can kick these ukes up a notch! They are great as they are, but why not see if some little tweaks here or there will take it to the next level.

Mim
05-18-2013, 06:05 AM
Do you have an idea of the prices range of these ukes? Can't wait to see them.

I will once they price it out. The thing is, the price varies a lot from their custom guitars because the guitars take a whole sheet of these premium woods. I am getting 4 out of one. Then they have to factor in all the specs. I am opting for wood trims and rosettes. Just really raw. All semi gloss. Now... if someone says... "you know I would love the Moon Spruce/ Myrtle but I would want gloss or an abaolone rosette or this fretboard design" just let me know. It can be done. But for now they appointments are all complimentary woods for binding and rosette with a special 12th fret design still being sketched out. But really, it someone says "I would rather have the traditional inlay dots", that can be done as well.

Oh, the point was price... look at my tangent. I have so much in my head right now I am ready to explode.

Ummm... I guess I have to say... I don't know! Haha! So that is not helpful! But when I get an idea I will post it here!

Mim
05-18-2013, 06:06 AM
this is mindBENDINg. I have been dreaming Breedlove, really been wanting to try a uke[tenor] with a radiused fretboard. I'm more of a no bling guy, would be seriously interested in A" Redwood/Indian Rosewood tenor. Simple specs. Rosewood rosette and binding." the ebony back and sides would be nice too, or maple, or nevermind... just keep us posted, can hardly wait to see the finished products and prices. I'm saving my pennies.

If you ever want one with certain specs. You let me know. Me and my wood girl Angela are like besties now and she knows my uke design aesthetic and we learned to speak each other's language (hers, the language of woods, mine, the language of ukes) and I think it is the start of a beautiful friendship that is going to result in some amazing uke dreams coming true!

Man, that sounded cheesy. But you know what I mean!!!

Mim
05-18-2013, 06:15 AM

Oh wait... I just saw what you did there! BENDing! HAHAHA!

teruterubouzu
05-18-2013, 07:07 AM
This sounds like such an adventure, Mim. When you first started selling ice cream could you have ever imagined yourself in this place? It's really inspiring.

bbycrts
05-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Mim - I was just reading about your adventure to Sheryl - she said, "SHE WAS IN PORTLAND AND SHE DIDN'T COME VISIT???"

I let her know we already talked about that and your schedule was too tight...but you were missed!

tigersister
05-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Oh, Mim, you picked out some great wood combos! I can't wait to see these all built up. Good thing I don't really like tenor size. I'll have to have the hubby lock away my credit card when the concert and soprano sizes come out. :drool:

Mim
05-20-2013, 02:25 AM
Mim - I was just reading about your adventure to Sheryl - she said, "SHE WAS IN PORTLAND AND SHE DIDN'T COME VISIT???"

I let her know we already talked about that and your schedule was too tight...but you were missed!

You know I would! I actually had a 2.5 hour layover in Portland then a 45 minute flight. I was thinking, "Dang, should have just driven and I could have stopped by to see the new Carrot abode!

Next time, next time! (Cause my fingers crossed there will be a next time!)

Mim
05-20-2013, 02:36 AM
This sounds like such an adventure, Mim. When you first started selling ice cream could you have ever imagined yourself in this place? It's really inspiring.

Haha... no! But it is super awesome! It was cool because Tom Bedell had a few people tell their story about how they got into the music business. And a lot of them had these really cool moments where one thing happened that changed their future forever. So it is super cool to be in a group of people who have stories a lot like yours and who are also going, "Isn't it cool we got here!"

I feel like I am where I am supposed to be. I could not love it any more!!! I have the most amazing uke friends in the world!!! The best friends I have ever had. And now I am getting these cool music industry friends as well which is really helping me from a business aspect. Yep, life is good!

ddanner
05-26-2013, 04:01 AM
... Now my closest airport is Roanoke. 6 gates. I was the only one at security. They smiled and chatted with me and let me drink down my Diet Coke I forgot to finish. Then I spilled it... because, I am a knucklehead, and he nicely went and got paper towels for me. Man... what a difference.

Glad to hear that Roanoke knows how to treat a traveling ukester!